Super Bowl XL Uniforms *merged*

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love it no monochromes for the blue man scuba suit crew! Seahawks in all white thank you Jesus! What a disgrace that would be in a few years when watching highlights of Superbowl XL and seeing the eyesore of a uni forever ruining Superbowl history.

That does bring up a good point. No team has ever worn dark on dark of the same color in the Super Bowl before. The NFL dodge a huge uniform bullet here.

cowobys and redskins ALWAYS wear white when they are the home team. We will all find out what uniform they will wear when they let us know or at media day.

actually, the Boys did wear blue for Super Bowl V, as they were the home team and at the time, the rule forced em to wear blue. They lost to the Colts, and you know the rest of the story.

and the Skins did wear burgundy once in the big game. take a wild guess when (hint: pre-Gibbs era I)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

well correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Steelers wore black in all but one superbowl appearance.

X, XIII, XIV, XXX

then again, they played the Cowboys 3 times so they were force to wore black

that is correct.

I agree with speedo about them most likely choosing black since that their traditional and preferred color to wear, even despite the success in white. Now i suppose the team could get superstitious about it and use the white away jerseys to help keep in an underdog mindset. On the flip side they may play mind games with the seahawks and force them into wearing white since they have had the most success in their blue home jerseys.

But i predict black, plus it would be great for sales if they win the big one in them. they have undoubtedly sold a lot of white jerseys this post season. Fans that have gone out to get the whites may want a black one if thats what they are wearing.

i don't want to see seattle in the monochrome blue either.

The Steelers wore black jerseys for their five previous Superbowls (4 victories). I think they will stick with "what works".

Super Bowl IX they wore white vs the Vikings.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

As it was said, teams did not necessarily have the choice of uniforms in the earlier Super Bowls. Miami usually wears white at home, but was dressed in aqua in Super Bowls VI and VIII where they were the designated home team. The Redskins wore burgundy in Super Bowl VII and the Cowboys wore blue in Super Bowl V, both the home teams in those games.

Later on, the NFL let conference champions decide in alternating years. The Cowboys got to wear their white uniforms in Super Bowl XIII and XXVII where they were the home team and Washington wore white in Super Bowl XVII (forcing Miami to wear aqua).

As for this Super Bowl, I wish Seattle could have the choice of wearing their home uniforms. I think Pittsburgh in white and Seattle in dark would be a better combination than the inverse of that, which is what we are going to see. In any event, I hope it's a good game.

I love it no monochromes for the blue man scuba suit crew! Seahawks in all white thank you Jesus! What a disgrace that would be in a few years when watching highlights of Superbowl XL and seeing the eyesore of a uni forever ruining Superbowl history.

A disgrace? A uniform forever ruining Super Bowl history? Sure, whatever. :rolleyes:

I am just glad there is some actual originality with some NFL uniforms now. Some of us actually like the fact that teams look DIFFERENT and not everyone is stuck in their ways and ultra conservative with their looks. This ain't Russia. Would it be better if the old, out-of-style Redskins uniforms or the cheap, non-matching Cowboys uniforms were in the Bowl?

And, all white IS monochrome, no matter how you spin it.

^^ So what? What does that have to do with anything?

And, the Steelers don't have a choice at all. They alternate every year. Last year the NFC wore home uniforms, this year the AFC does. Next year the NFC will again. Let's not try and make it too scientific.

You really are in the wrong place if you're going to make ill informed and even worse reasoned posts like this.

Miami usually wears white at home, but was dressed in aqua in Super Bowls VI and VIII where they were the designated home team.

Just to clarify here, Super Bowl VI was after the 1971 season which was the last that the Dolphins wore aqua at home full time; so even if they did have a choice, they wouldn't have worn white.

This year the AFC is considered the home team, and they get to choose what they want to wear. Whether the Steelers will stick with tradition and wear black or follow the trend of sporting their away whites - which they have won their last 5 in - remains to be seen.

As for my guess... since, they were the sixth seed in the AFC and have won 16 out of 19 on the road (15 in white), I think they ride this trendy wave and will choose their white unis.

and the Skins did wear burgundy once in the big game. take a wild guess when (hint: pre-Gibbs era I)

Ah yes, the Redskins in their burgandy/yellow Green Bay-style uniforms (thanks to Vince) - of course, until the first Gibbs era the Redskins almost always wore their dark jerseys when they were at home, so it wasn't a big deal for them to wear dark as the "home" team in Super Bowl VII.

It was the first year of the burgandy helmet with the indian head logo, which is still in use today (with some minor tweaks over the years).

^^ So what? What does that have to do with anything?

And, the Steelers don't have a choice at all. They alternate every year. Last year the NFC wore home uniforms, this year the AFC does. Next year the NFC will again. Let's not try and make it too scientific.

You really are in the wrong place if you're going to make ill informed and even worse reasoned posts like this.

Sorry. Didn't realize I needed a degree from MIT to figure this sort of thing out. :rolleyes:

This year the AFC is considered the home team, and they get to choose what they want to wear. Whether the Steelers will stick with tradition and wear black or follow the trend of sporting their away whites - which they have won their last 5 in - remains to be seen.

As for my guess... since, they were the sixth seed in the AFC and have won 16 out of 19 on the road (15 in white), I think they ride this trendy wave and will choose their white unis.

Actually, it's already been noted that they wore white when they beat the Vikings in Super Bowl VI, I believe.

And, do you really think that much time and energy is spent on determining some sort of "good luck" charm with the uniform combo? I mean, seriously......

They will be wearing their home uniforms. Black jersey's....gold pants.

I hope Pittsburgh chooses white. Theyve won all their playoff games in white so why fu*k with that now? And plus, i wanna see Seattle in all blue. :P

Pittsburgh has the choice, and they have to stay with what works. White has to be the choice.

Either way, Pittsburgh will have the aesthetic advantage on Feb. 5.

The Steelers wore black jerseys for their five previous Superbowls (4 victories). I think they will stick with "what works".

What do those previous five Super Bowls have to do with this one?

Archived