Team Loyalties

gmlouisville

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

infrared41 - I (somewhat) appologise for singeling you out.  I copied the wrong UserID into my post (I intended to copy gmlouisville's name, as he started the topic, not you - but, truthfully, you have eight "favorite" MLB teams listed...  Come-on now).

Wrong. I have three favorite pro sports teams and one favorite college team. The rest are just teams that I like or enjoy watching. Apparently yours is an issue of semantics.

In fairness to you I will take some of the blame in this myself. I should have been more clear in what I meant when I wrote my original post. Instead of listing the other teams as favorites I should have simply said they are the teams that I like the best out of the rest. I should have also stated that the other teams I listed are the ones who I watch most often on MLB Extra Innings or The NFL Sunday Ticket. And yes there are quite a few other NCAA teams that I enjoy watching as well but I think anyone who knows me on this forum knows who my clear favorite is when it comes to NCAA sports.

I hope that clears it up. Go Bucks. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Bemidji State (D-II Football and Hockey) - I do Public Address announcing for their football games, and am a member of the local media that covers the hockey team here in Bemidji, MN

Bemidji State football coach Jeff Tesch and I were acquaintances when I went to Moorhead State because I covered the football team for the college paper.

He and Ed Schultz (yes, the liberal talkshow host who is full of hot air) teamed up on a lot of great plays for the school now called Minnesota State Moorhead (yuck). With Schultz being a really good QB and Tesch being a tight end with hands of glue, those two were just dazzling. Appropriately, their very last play in college was a touchdown pass.

i route for one team per Sport except for hockey. and will have a favorite if i am watching a game i could really care less about, and only watching the game because there isnt any thing better on.

MLB: INDIANS

NFL: BROWNS

NCAA:THEE OHIO STATE

NHL: HURRICANES(use to sign my checks), PENGUINS(grew up with them)

NBA: CAVS(but that was back in the day, now i could careless.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

i route for one team per Sport except for hockey. and will have a favorite if i am watching a game i could really care less about, and only watching the game because there isnt any thing better on.

Hatman I hate to nitpick especially when we share so many favorite teams but I gotta point this out...

It's THEE Ohio State University. Gotta add that University thing in there too.

(Sorry friend just doin' my job as an alum) Go Bucks :D

BB52Big.jpg

Hatman I hate to nitpick especially when we share so many favorite teams but I gotta point this out...

my bad. didnt even think about it.

PS: its taking all my power not to steal your anti-michigan flag sig from you.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Absolutely, 100% bar-none, diehard:

NCAA: Michigan

NFL: Pats

NBA: Pistons

NHL: Red Wings

MLB: Tigers

Other teams I follow: UNC, Rams, Maple Leafs, Sox. All way secondary, though I love UNC hoops.

No love for the Lions?

Nope. I don't mind them, but indoor football sucks.

spikes.jpg

When it comes to my teams, I'm a bit of a mental case. I grew up (and still live) in sight of Giants Stadium, yet inherited all these out of town teams from my dad (don't ask how he picked them).

MLB - Orioles; absolutely despise the Yankees, so I always root against them in the playoffs, and hope the Mets do better than them.

NHL - The Leafs; hate the Devils, but go to their games, always rooting against them, and wearing the opposing jersey if I have it.

NFL - The Raiders; hate Denver, KC, and San Diego with unbridled passion; still have residual hatred for Seattle from the AFC days, hate the Jets because I'm surrounded by their fans who irritate me, and now hate New England since the tuck rule (the ball touched his OTHER HAND! HE WAS NOT PASSING ANYMORE!)

College - Penn State (class of '96); usually hate Michigan and Ohio State, but hope all Big Ten teams win their bowl games so PSU looks better; hate Nebraska because of '94; they split the championship in 90 or 91, and then again in '97, but we didn't get a share that year? An absolute joke.

NBA - I hope the Nets do well, but generally don't care because the game's not what it used to be.

I never understood the "The" thing. Its not like people confuse Ohio University with Ohio State University. Why is "The" so important. Seems arrogant and stuck-up more than anything. I don't have any problem with Ohio State, just thought that part of it seemed stuck up.

Anyone care to explain? Is it because there is jealousy that Ohio University is older?

I'll admit, in two sports I have dual loyalty (NBA and NFL).

NBA-Sonics and Pistons (Sonics are the original hometown team..then I moved to Michigan, Livonia to be exact. Pistons are the only team I've ever liked here)

NFL-Seahawks and Giants (I adopted the Giants somewhere, used to be easier when they were seperate conferences)

NHL-Penguins

MLB-Mariners

NCAA-Washington Huskies (though I go to Central Michigan University)

David

I never understood the "The" thing.  Its not like people confuse Ohio University with Ohio State University.  Why is "The" so important.  Seems arrogant and stuck-up more than anything.  I don't have any problem with Ohio State, just thought that part of it seemed stuck up. 

Anyone care to explain?  Is it because there is jealousy that Ohio University is older?

Jealous of Ohio U? That's funny. No we aren't jealous. Yes we are quite arrogant and stuck up. It's a Buckeye thing. You gotta be one of us to understand.

Seriously though, The official name of the school is The Ohio State University. (my avatar is the official academic logo) So it's not something fans and alumni added to sound important. I've heard the whole thing got started over a logo and marketing dispute with Ohio University. Ohio U is the oldest public university in Ohio so Ohio State decided to market itself as THE public university in Ohio. That's what I've heard but I've never been able to confirm it. (I think we can blame Monday Night Football's player introductions for the emphasis on THE.)

We take great pride in our school and it's not simply because of the football team. The school does a good job of making it's students feel like they are part of something special when they attend Ohio State. I imagine it does come across as arrogant and stuck up. We just can't help ourselves.

Hope that helps explain it at least a little bit. :D

BB52Big.jpg

We take great pride in our school and it's not simply because of the football team. The school does a good job of making it's students feel like they are part of something special when they attend Ohio State. I imagine it does come across as arrogant and stuck up. We just can't help ourselves.

That's what any good school should do. There's nothing wrong with being proud of where you got your diploma, and it should be a special place. I feel it's stranger for people not to be so proud as to come off a little arrogant about their alma mater. God knows I'm fiercely proud of my school, and if that makes me arrogant to some, so be it. It's not going to change how I feel or how I express it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

God knows I'm fiercely proud of my school, and if that makes me arrogant to some, so be it.  It's not going to change how I feel or how I express it.

I am guessing by your signature that you went to UNC? If so you have plenty to be proud of. That's one great school. Best public college in the country. And that's no faint praise coming from an arrogant, stuck up Ohio State alum. :D

BB52Big.jpg

NHL:

1. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

2. Ottawa Senators

3. Toronto Maple Leafs

4. San Jose Sharks

5. Washington Capitals

MLB:

1. Toronto Blue Jays

2. Chicago White Sox

NFL:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

QMJHL:

1. Cape Breton Screaming Eagles

I'll root for as many teams as I want. If you don't like it, how does it concern you?.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

For myself I just love sports period. There are teams that I follow more closely than others and I care more when they win or lose so I list those as "MY TEAMS" but there are many teams in each league that I either love to see lose or like on some level but am not a complete fan of.

Teams I consider myself a "fan" of (in order):

NFL: Buccaneers, Chargers

MLB: Padres

NBA: none really

NHL: Flames

ECHL: Gulls

MLS: Galaxy

International Football Clubs: Norwich City FC

Still here's the teams I like a lot:

NFL: Seahawks, Patriots

MLB: Astros, Brewers, Cardinals, Angels, Indians, Tigers, Red Sox, Blue Jays

NBA: Kings, Clippers, Celtics, Timberwolves, Cavaliers

NHL: Maple Leafs, Coyotes

ECHL: Ice Dogs...sorta (they were the former IHL San Diego Gulls so there's a connection)

MLS: none

International Football Clubs: PSV Einhhoven, Hamburg, Arsenal (kind of), Boca Juniors

Teams I can't stand:

NFL: Raiders, all NFC teams outside of Seattle and Tampa

MLB: none really...but the Giants, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Yankees, and A's come to mind

NBA: Lakers primarily, but I'm also not big on the Warriors and Wizards. as if they matter

NHL: Oilers (of course), Canadiens, Kings, Ducks, Bruins, Red Wings

ECHL: Aces, Falcons

MLS: Everyone but LA

International Football Clubs: Ipswich, Chelsea, ManUtd, Tottenham, Real Madrid, AC Milan, River Plate...and I'm hating Lyon more and more every day. Oh and Guatamala Chivas just because I see their crest everywhere here in San Diego and I'm sick of them. I think I might start liking Club America just to spite those people.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Favorites:

MLB- Angels

NFL- Lions

NHL- Red Wings

NBA- I don't really watch basketball, but I used to like Phoenix

NCAA- Pittsburgh

Other Teams I Enjoy:

MLB- Cardinals

NFL- none, really

NHL- Canadiens, Flames

NBA- I also liked the Heat back in the day

NCAA- Oregon, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State

Teams I just can't stand:

MLB- Mariners, Both Sox

NFL- Vikings, Eagles

NHL- Avalanche, Devils, Stars

NBA- Lakers, Knicks

NCAA- Penn State, Oklahoma

I love these discussions. It's fascinating to me.

I think every sports fan has a team they cheer for unequivocally. For me, it's the teams I grew up with or have a personal connection to: the Twins, Vikings, T-Wolves. For colleges, it's the University of North Dakota.

Nothing would make me waver from my allegiances to those franchises.

But as I've grown older and lived elsewhere, I find myself making connections to other franchises based on proximity and, in my case, marriage.

I lived in Pittsburgh for five years, married a Pittsburgh girl, and in the years since have become a Steelers supporter. I'm not broken-hearted if they lose, but I cheer for them to win. Except against the Vikings, of course.

I'm excited to be a relatively new soccer fan. But without that proximity or personal connection, I'm finding it hard to pick a team to support. i don't have any personal connection to any of them, I feel no particularly strong emotion to any one team.

Archived