Kornheiser to MNF?

Waffles

http://www.nypost.com/sports/61194.htm

ESPN MAY USE KORNHEISER AS 3D MAN ON MNF

By ANDREW MARCHAND

January 30, 2006 --  With Al Michael's future on Monday Night Football in doubt, ESPN is strongly considering putting talk show host/columnist Tony Kornheiser on its telecast next year, The Post has learned.

While ESPN is expected to decide after the Super Bowl if it will force Michaels to honor the eight-year $32 million contract he signed this summer, sources say the network has devised a Plan B around Kornheiser.

If the network allows Michaels out of his contract then the new team is expected to be led by Mike Tirico. Tirico will be joined by Joe Theismann and Kornheiser, if Kornheiser agrees to ESPN's offer that is believed to be for around $1 million.

The addition of Kornheiser, who writes for the Washington Post, would be a radical move in the same vein as when Dennis Miller was named to the Monday Night booth.

ESPN executives, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, recently met with Kornheiser about accepting the role. If Kornheiser takes the offer then he is expected to continue to co-host Pardon the Interruption.

In fact, the show would be aired live from the Monday Night site each week.

Efforts to reach ESPN executives and Kornheiser were unsuccessful.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The addition of Kornheiser, who writes for the Washington Post, would be a radical move in the same vein as when Dennis Miller was named to the Monday Night booth.

Except Kornheiser actually knows something about sports.

Kornheiser in the booth would certainly never get me to watch a crappy game, but I don't think this is a bad move.

Except Kornheiser actually knows something about sports.

Kornheiser in the booth would certainly never get me to watch a crappy game, but I don't think this is a bad move.

Agreed. Kornheiser would actually know what he's talking about, unlike Dennis Miller, who was just a ratings ploy. It'd be kind of enjoyable, maybe.

I could do that. I like Kornheiser at times, and he's not some brainless dolt.

Tirico, Kornheiser, and Theismann. Hmm. No.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I could do that. I like Kornheiser at times, and he's not some brainless dolt.

Tirico, Kornheiser, and Theismann. Hmm. No.

Oh hell no. The whole entire crew from SNF must be eradicated. Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann, and some other fat guy = Football Crew from Hell.

I could do that.  I like Kornheiser at times, and he's not some brainless dolt. 

Tirico, Kornheiser, and Theismann.  Hmm.  No.

Oh hell no. The whole entire crew from SNF must be eradicated. Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann, and some other fat guy = Football Crew from Hell.

Paul McGuire. I hate them all.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

What about Stuart Scott?

Dear God no...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think having Kornheiser in the booth will make even a bad game entertaining.

I'm not sold on having Tirico. I like Theisman as a color man.

I liked the SNF crew. I think they were one of theb etter ones in broadcasting. THey beat the :censored: out of any fox crew, and other than Simms/Nantz, they're better than any CBS crew.

And let's not get on Al Michales, the worst sports broadcaster this side of Bob Costas.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This news would matter more if MNF wasn't being relegated to ESPN. Now the big game will be the Sunday nighter on NBC. Even though everyone has cable, it won't be quite the same.

If there's gonna be Kornheiser, Wilbon can't be far behind.

What about Stuart Scott?

Dear God no...

i like his lazy eye haha

Ha! So I'm not the only guy to ever notice that.

Well, if you want the story...

From 2002:

Stuart Scott was injured on April 3, 2002, at the New York Jets training camp while reporting for ESPN when a machine that throws footballs to receivers for practice hit him in the left eye with a football, requiring Scott to undergo surgery of the cornea

And, in his own words from Maxim:

I had a couple of cornea transplants when I was younger, but it was fine. Then I worked out at a Jets minicamp a few years ago. I had played football all my life, and I was in good shape. A ball came out of the Jugs machine and hit me in the eye. I had to have a couple of surgeries. Now I wear a really thick pair of glasses, and they have to bring the TelePrompTer closer. I?ve heard people say I can?t see. But I drive, I work, I see my kids, I play golf. I ain?t blind.

So he wasn't born with it, it was an injury suffered 4 years ago.

All I want to know is how they are going to get Mr. Tony to the games? Anyone who listenes to his radio show (old ESPN version, or current on XM) knows he refuses to fly at all. Plus the aforementioned inability to stay-up past half-time... I listen to his show quite a bit on XM, and watch PTI regurarly, and these are two big problems. I know that a million dollars could get me to change some of my habits, and maybe there would be the "Mr. Tony Cruser" instead of the "Madden Cruser" to take him cross-country...

Moose

What about Stuart Scott?

I hope that was a joke :P . I couldn't stand the SNF crew but i still watched. If Stuart Scott was in the booth, i would not watch.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tony in there. I enjoy him on PTI. It could turn out to be a bust, but it can't be worse than Dennis Miller.

I think Mike Torico is a good choice. He's a great play-by-play guy.

Archived