Tampa Bay Lightning numbers....

Shumway

I was watching the Lightning game the other night, and it was the first I noticed they had changed number fonts. Is that new for this year, or had they changed several years ago, and this is the first I noticed? I think Tampa needs an overhaul badly, but at least the old number font, as terrible as it was, set them apart.

several years ago...

you must not be a big hockey fan, considering they won the stanley cup with block numbers. i'd imagine it would be hard to miss it on that big of a stage :)

either way, this is what? the 4th number font they've used on those same sweaters? they change number fonts more often than ken hitchcock changes his underpants.

several years ago...

you must not be a big hockey fan, considering they won the stanley cup with block numbers. i'd imagine it would be hard to miss it on that big of a stage :)

either way, this is what? the 4th number font they've used on those same sweaters? they change number fonts more often than ken hitchcock changes his underpants.

YUCK!!! YUCK!!! YUCK!!! YUCK!!! YUCK!!! ROT IN HELL YOU DIRTY MAN!!! :D

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I think it's the third...

Manon Rheaume numbers (shadowed)

Late 90s numbers (looked like paint strokes)

Current numbers (block)

They did have a slightly different font for the alternates for a year or two.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Current numbers (block)

ohhh... i thought they had 2 different sets of "painted" numbers.

1 set that was more painted looking, and 1 set that was more lightningy...

several years ago...

Actually, I'm a huge hockey fan, but I just could care less about the Lightning to be honest. I guess I was rooting for Calgary so much that I didn't notice the number change.

Current numbers (block)

ohhh... i thought they had 2 different sets of "painted" numbers.

1 set that was more painted looking, and 1 set that was more lightningy...

Yes, there was that fourth set, the extremely jagged electric numbers that they used on that blue thunderstorm third jersey.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

A quick look at NHLuniforms has the Lightning have 3 sets of numbers.

1. Italic drop shadow numbers (2 Seasons 92-94)

2. Reporter 2 numbers (7 Seasons 95-01)

3. Current block numbers (4 Seasons 01-present)

I liked those drop shadow numbers and letters. UMass-Lowell used the same style, complete with the notched top-left A, B, P & R. I didn't like it when they switched to a generic font (similar to what Tampa has now).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I like the paint numbers best with the curved name. It does set them apart. I wonder why they change so much?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Wow. Didn't know something that happened 4 years ago was such breaking news. :P

Besides the numbers on the old 3rd (the only part of the jersey I don't like) I think they're always had nice fonts. The old numbers were more original, though I like the block font too. It fits the rest of the jersey better. Kinda generic looking.

We do need a complete overhaul though... Not that I have any problems with the current uniforms, I just think it's time for a fresh look with some originality. The current stuff reminds me too much of the Devils.

Archived