New dallas stars alternates

Cowboy Kevin

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again I have revised their product to reflect what I think it should be-as well as what everyone else has been saying. Rather than come up with my own concept, I just tweek theirs (as I did with Columbus). Here it is...What do you guys think?

Now that is a big step in the right direction. I still do not care for their rendintion of the bull's head, but am ok with the idea of one. I would like it if they had come up with a dynamic illustration of a bull, more in the style of the Sabre's buffalo logo, rather than a constellation representing one, It's just not exciting.

Back to the jersey reworking, I applaud the removal of the red, and would agree with someone else's comments that the Star's main logo should them be used as a secondary on the shoulders above the sleeve numbers. Something's needed to break up all that blank space up there. The bull head is better without the red shooting star. Nice job on the reworking.

Watching them on TV last night I was trying to describe them to a friend and came up with, "They look like Calgary's black jerseys with all your favorite parts removed."

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The removal of the red mkaes it more recognizable as belonging to the team, but I still hate that bull's head. (nice edit umlegend)

Ijust caught my first look on ice....flashbacks to the first time I saw the Calgary Flames Black jersey.....besides the numbering, it's a pretty close match (from the right angle, forget the bull!)

I like it for one reason and one reason only.. because it gives the team a Dallas, a Texas identity. THey always felt like a misplaces North Stars team, these uniforms, wether you like them or not (i'm still debating it in my head) they give them their own identity...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

well heres my take on this whole mess.  The logo isnt HORRIBLE, but its not in the realm of good either.  It seems to be far too complex to be iconic, and thats what rubs me wrong.  The trend of complicating professional sports logos only makes them appear more amateur.  A solid professional sports club logo should be simple, iconic and timeless.  The third jersey logo trend allows for teams to execute the exact opposite of that .. they can now create complicate, cartoony, dated logos and then throw them out when the style dies.

Throwing red in there is also a bad move in my opinion, plus I didn't know you were allowed to just make up colors for yourself and throw them in there whenever you feel like it, but I guess thats the new decorum in the NHL.

The only thing about the jerseys that I can say I actually LIKE is the star on the sleeve.

I honestly think that this Stars logo is really good and could have been GREAT if it weren't for the random comet shooting around it's horn. If you do what someone earlier in this thread did and make both sides just plain horns, then I think you've got a great, unique look for the club. It's effective in the same way that the Wild's logo is effective to me. It takes a simple name like Wild and makes a very beautiful art-worthy icon. Who would have thought of creating a bear/cat head out of a wilderness scene? That's just ingenious. I think of the Stars logo the same way. You take a boring name like Stars and do something very original and unique with it, like use the concept of constellations to tie in imagery familiar to Texans. The execution could have been slightly better but, hey, the concept is phenomenal.

The jerseys, however, still suck.

I thought it was supposed to be more patriotic...The concept of the bull is cool, but I don't like the colors with the red. Shouldn't jerseys follow team colors, and last I looked Dallas' team colors are Gold, Black, White, and Green.

I swear all recent 3rd jerseys look like crap lately, the 2002-2003 season included, well except for the Blue Jackets, that's kind of cool looking and I do like the new Coyotes jerseys.

I agree nitro, the concept is fantastic ... but the execution doesnt meet up with the idea.  Using a constellation and tying that into texas is brilliant .. but this could have come out MUCH better.   They tried to do TOO much with that idea, and I think it comes out cluttered.  

In this logo we have the taurus constellation, the bull's head, the actually dallas star and the red shooting line from the star that also acts as the letter D.  That is much to much for such a concept.  Eliminate the dallas star and the red swoosh and it does get much better agreed.

Okay I quite like the new logo, adds a texan feel to a generic look carried over from Minnesota. But the jerseys get a big thumbs down from me. At a time when the rest of the league is going in a classy direction, the Stars are trying to buck the trend. And where did that red/orange come from?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

well heres my take on this whole mess. The logo isnt HORRIBLE, but its not in the realm of good either. It seems to be far too complex to be iconic, and thats what rubs me wrong.

Look no farther than the NFL's Houston Texans for what their logo should have looked like. You can introduce the red you want, along with some blue to tie in with the state flag like Columbus did with Ohio, you get your "Star" in your logo and something iconic and dynamic. It's too bad someone took it, and someone so close to home as well.

And while we're at it, let's do something with those shoulders and all that wasted space.

dallas1.jpg

JeffB

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

That looks better, the bull head is more texas feeling that Taurus is....slight mod, change the star in the bull to the green and gold star. I'm Still not a fan of the black/yellow/red combo

Of course they could never use that bull-head being that it is the Houston Texans logo

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Maybe for me it is more of a style issue with this logo.  I think the Texans example there kind of illustrates what I mean when I was saying that the new logo is too complicated and complex for it work as a solid mark.  

The Texans logo uses clean, simple classic lines to achieve a great looking logo.  They did not need to create a realistically illustrated bull's head with grinding teeth and eyes and swooping stars with a total of SIX colors.  Thats right SIX.  There is green, gold, lighter gold, red, black and white.  I think the logo designer they hired here needs to study up on the principles of identity design some more.

The idea of creating a new logo gor Dallas i think is a good one, because they need some identity. IN texas it seems every logo has a big star or something in it? anyone else notice that? astros, cowboys, texans, stars, etc. and two i think there primary logo is very dull, and doesnt have "anything to it"

so i never liked the idea od the dalls "stars". but i think this new logo is ok, but the colour scheme is absolutely terriblle. the mixed green, red, gold and black reminds of of pewk.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Ill agree they needed their own identity from the old northstars days, but they basically were one foot out the door when they wore those up here,so it doesnt really matter.

The fact...no wait, my opinion remains, the logo is dreadful. But i guess now that i look at it, i applaud that they tried, but it didnt have to be so literal. texas and cows has been done, mentioned right above with the texans logo. Thats a big state, im sure there are more conceptual coorelations that cattle ranching. (mavericks, cowboys) But i guess you can always find that kind of thought in messy logos. It is definately an incomplete concept, but somehow got accepted. I like the celestial tie-in, but they could have been even better with that.

Must i actually say it...oh f-it. "think outside the box" couldent the constilation be on the shoulders, as if it were the sky? Maybe tie in the 'lone stars' feel, something that could lend a more texan appeal. But a cosmobull is definately a rough draft, something that probably should have been tacked on the bulliten board for a day, then elaborated on, rather than the final product.

and red?? Hasnt every third that introduced a completely different non-neutral color in the 3rd failed miserably??

I just went through the Dallas Morning News website and found an article about the process of designing the Stars' third jersey

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedc....52.html

The making of a sweater (10/23)

For the Stars, it took a year to sew up all the loose ends in creating an alternate look

12:12 AM CDT on Thursday, October 23, 2003

By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning

News

While many fans are aghast at the Stars' newest marketing tool ? a third sweater and a new logo ? those inside the marketing department put in a year of work weaving a theme into the jersey. Each decision was bounced around a committee of decision-makers led by Bryan Perez (executive vice president, marketing and communication), Steve Shilts (vice president, merchandising) and Christy Martinez (vice president, marketing), and everything from color to neck line to fabric was intensely dissected. Here is a look at what went into the building of the uniforms the Stars are simply calling "The Blacks":

Logo: The Stars employed the New York-based design company Skilo Brand to design the sweater, and just as it did when it designed the New York Rangers' "Statue of Liberty" sweater, Skilo said it wanted an "icon" to start out with. It was the suggestion of Christy Martinez to look at constellations, and the entire group quickly decided on Taurus the bull.

Stars/NHL

Stars Extra

The third jersey:

? Front view

? Back view

Stars unveil third jersey

(from dallasstars.com)

Stars Forum

More Stars

But while it was clear that the bull would

have the stars of a constellation visible within the logo, what wasn't so clear was the direction of the horns. First drawings came back with the horns up, and the Stars marketing team felt that looked too much like a longhorn. The horns were quickly pointed down, and Skilo Brand added the shooting star in one of the horns to complete the logo.

"We wanted something bold that tied in the synergy of the Stars coming together to form an unstoppable force," said Shilts.

Colors: The Stars wanted to stay with their primary colors ? green, gold and black ? and said from the start they wanted the base color to be black. With dark sweaters being worn at home, the idea of an alternative to the home greens was a must. After the base color was established, just about anything went.

"The design group decided to put red in the logo, and we really liked it right off the bat," Shilts said. "We were going to leave it in the logo only, but then we decided that we needed to incorporate it throughout the entire jersey."

Skilo Brand, the design company employed by the Stars, brought in silver as an accent color in creating the New York Rangers' third sweater. And the Oilers also used silver as a complement in their third-sweater design. So adding a new color was nothing new in the NHL.

Striping: Once the logo was decided upon, the Stars had about 15 designs drawn up with traditional striping, little striping and the wavy striping (or high tail) that was selected.

Many incarnations of the sweaters were designed with no red in the striping, but the primary problem was establishing a clear boundary between the design areas when dealing with similar colors such as black and dark green.

"We were especially concerned that it was all blending together with the pants and kind of looking like pajamas," Shilts said. "Even when we tried the green, it just didn't stand out. But when they came back with the red to define the bottom of the jersey, it just clicked for us. The word they used is, it 'pops,' and I think that's perfect."

Sleeves: In many ways, the look of the sweater is similar to that of the New York Rangers' third jersey, and that includes the sleeves. But while the Rangers' design has sharp angles, the Stars' jersey is softer.

The sleeve striping on the Stars' jersey follows the curve of the "high tail," or lower striping, but it took some discussing to come up with the design. Early experiments incorporated the Stars' traditional logo in the sleeve, in large part because the sweater is not immediately identifiable with the team. However, some early designs had the star high on the sweater. The high swoop destroyed the clean lines and didn't leave enough space for numbers on the sleeves.

The Stars' marketing team brought the lines back down and put the Stars' logos square on the front of the sleeve, where they fall in a visible line with the logo.

Neck and Shoulder: The first instinct of the Stars was to put a tie collar on the sweater, but they realized that would go against everything they were trying to accomplish. They decided that a new-look jersey with an old-style color just didn't make sense.

The group experimented with the square collar and slot collar that have been used on other "unofficial" sweaters, but also believed those didn't follow the flow of the striping. Instead, the Stars went with a standard V- collar and mixed in the accent colors.

Designers also considered a shoulder patch, but the old Stars patches didn't fit. Instead, they went with big white numbers to allow easy player identification and give the sweater even more contrast.

Mostly, the Stars wanted to avoid doing what other teams have done.

"We could have gone the way most teams did and kind of go retro look, real simple and real kind of blah," Stars president Jim Lites said. "We could have copied Colorado or other franchises. Instead, what we're doing with this is creating an alternate image. We still have our primary mark, but this is something completely different."

ALTERNATE SWEATERS AROUND THE LEAGUE

Five NHL teams will reveal alternate sweaters this season. So far, the Stars and three other teams have unveiled theirs. Atlanta will debut its sweater later this season.

Columbus: The Blue Jackets stayed with their basic colors and went with a classic look. The logo is the Ohio flag wrapped around a star. Columbus' mascot is a tribute to the city's contribution to the Union's efforts in the Civil War.

Anaheim: Going old-school, the Mighty Ducks used a baseball script with simple striping and a tie neck. The team's duck logo appears nowhere on the sweater.

Minnesota: Another attempt at old-school, the Wild reduced the size of its logo and placed it inside a circle on the chest. The team used red as a primary color for the first time. Like Anaheim and Columbus, Minnesota went with a tie neck.

I saw, I came, I left.

The Stars employed the New York-based design company Skilo Brand to design the sweater, and just as it did when it designed the New York Rangers' "Statue of Liberty" sweater, Skilo said it wanted an "icon" to start out with.

It boggles my mind how the same people responsible for the fantastic NYR alternate could also be behind this disaster.

And why am I not surprised there was a committee of suits involved in all of this?

Archived