Your Favorite NCAA Upset

Cujo

I was checking out a video collection of great NCAA Moments of the last 15 years or so, and I was reminded of some thrilling upsets that have went down over that period.

As for my own personal favorite, it has got to be #13 Princeton taking down the defending National Champion #4 UCLA in the first round of the '96 Tourney. You gotta love an ivy league school with no basketball scholarships taking down a powerhouse like UCLA.

6uXNWAo.png

I know which one was my least favorite.....

RIchmond over Syracuse in 1991

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I was checking out a video collection of great NCAA Moments of the last 15 years or so, and I was reminded of some thrilling upsets that have went down over that period.

As for my own personal favorite, it has got to be #13 Princeton taking down the defending National Champion #4 UCLA in the first round of the '96 Tourney. You gotta love an ivy league school with no basketball scholarships taking down a powerhouse like UCLA.

I would go with Princeton over UCLA and St. Joseph's over No. 1 DePaul in 1980 (DePaul's first game after a bye -- pre-"Field of 64/65" days.

You probably all remember the Princeton game. In the St. Joe's game, DePaul missed the front end of a 1-and-1 that would have put them up by 2 (3 if the second was made) with no more than 10 seconds left (probably closer to 6-7). There was no 3-pointer then, so a 3-point lead would have been just about insurmountable. St. Joe's pushed it up court, someone started to go up for a contested jumper from the right corner, then found a teammate ALL ALONE under the basket and dumped it down to him. He laid it in (yes, laid it in, not dunked it) as the buzzer sounded and St. Joe's won by 1 (I believe it was 49-48, but I don't feel like looking).

I was 12 then and that was the first real moment of March Madness for me, even though I remember lesser upsets in earlier years (Cal State-Fullerton, UConn when it was not yet on the map). I have been hooked ever since.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The one that was for it all: 1985 Final, Villanova over Georgetown. You simply do not shoot 79% in a national title game, and miss once in the 2nd half. Not against Patrick Ewing and the Hoyas (who beat 'Nova twice that year, and were the prohibitive favorites). An April Fools' Day miracle by a Cinderella team seeded #8.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Valparaiso-Mississippi 1998

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I remember a few years ago when Washington had their miracle run to the Sweet 16 only to lose by one to UConn.

Nobody expected the Huskies to reach that far, including me.

I've got two, both from 1999:

March 12, 1999:Southwest Missouri State 43, Wisconsin 32

and March 14, 1999: SMS 81, Tennessee 51.

Those were the days.

Noticed your BU sig, rams80. Congrats on getting in and best of luck in the Tourney. All us Valley fans have been talking about how good this league is, now it's time to show it. I'm steamed MO State isn't in, but all that's left to do is go win the NIT now. The Bears have a lot to prove Friday night against either Stanford or Virginia.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

Some of my faves....

1983 -- Derrek Whittenburg's put back jam lifting NC State over Houston and sending Jimmy Valvano running around the court in Albuquerque looking for someone to hug.

1985 -- Nova shooting the lights out against a heavilly favored Georgetown to win the title.

1991 -- Richmond ambushing Syracuse, becoming the first #15 seed ever to win.

1993 -- Santa Clara and some point guard named Steve Nash taking down Arizona....seemed to be a trend with the 'Cats as Miami-OH got em in the first round a few years later too.

1996 -- Princeton dropping UCLA in Indy

1998 -- Valpo stunning Ole Miss thanks to crazy shot by Bryce Drew

1999 -- Weber State taking out UNC

2005 -- Bucknell upending Kansas

2005 -- Vermont downing Syracuse

And, I know these two weren't upsets, but they stuck with me over the years...

Princeton/Georgetown back in 1989...The Hoyas had no idea how to handle the backdoor cut for most of the game and were VERY lucky to escape with a win.

Holy Cross/Kansas in either 2002 or 2003...Just crazy. The Crusaders coming oh-so-close to pulling off the mother of all upsets..a 16 dropping a 1.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I cant remember the team, I think it was hampton, a number 15 seed beating #2 Iowa St. when marcus fizer was on their team. That was a good game.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

I'm steamed MO State isn't in, but all that's left to do is go win the NIT now. The Bears have a lot to prove Friday night against either Stanford or Virginia.

You guys definitely got screwed, I saw first-hand how good Missouri State was in beating UWM in the Bracket Buster game. Give 'em Hell in the NIT.

QPR%20Sig.png

I cant remember the team, I think it was hampton, a number 15 seed beating #2 Iowa St. when marcus fizer was on their team. That was a good game.

:cursing:

Yeah, that was Hampton (The same Hampton that got jacked by Monmouth) who beat Iowa State in 2001.

Mentioning that game will get your ass kicked anywhere on the western side of this state.

1999 -- Weber State taking out UNC

I remember that upset. It was the 10pm game on Thursday night, and I would have stayed up to watch it if I hadn't had a test the next morning.

A loss that still gripes my ass is #14 UT-Chattanooga beating #3 Georgia 73-70......

Mine should have been today.  :cry:

Too bad Winthrop couldn't score in the clutch or the 15/2 upset would probably have went down.

Yeah, seriously. We really can't hit free throws...been a problem for us all year. Rain 'em from three like nobody's business (usually)...but free throws are hopeless.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived