George Mason U.

deliver2david

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michigan is wearing their nike elite jerseys with the silver trim tonight aganist ODU in the NIT Semis

Yuck.

NYJJ10403290109.jpg

actually they're not too bad. I'd put Maize where the Silver is to make it look better

Those are "Elite" jerseys? Shouldn't elite jerseys look NICER than the regular ones???

Those are nice by Nike standards.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Does anyone else find it a bit ironic that Michigan is wearing "elite" jerseys in the NIT?

NIT champ = we're #66!

You know, every other year, I get pissed at that remark. I always used to think that the winner of the NIT was significantly better than, say, Winthrop or -- ha, ha -- George Mason. I used to think that the NIT teams were just unlucky BCS conference teams that got bounced out because of NCAA automatic bids like Princeton or Southern.

Obviously, this year has changed all of that. I still bristle, though, at the though the NIT winner is no good, or the 66th best team in the country. Watching a bit of the SC/Louisville game last night, I certainly thought that South Carolina was good enough to be in the tournament. Apparently, the SEC is the best basketball conference on the planet. Who knew?

To make this board related -- the NIT logo is ugly.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Okay, my comment wasn't supposed to spark the arguement about the NIT champ being actually #66 in the nation or not, just that the word "elite" means the best of the best, and clearly this year Michigan is no where close to that.

Well, if Niketown is any indication, Mason will get no love from the Nike brass.  Notice which school is missing.  GMU wears Nike and is not even getting a t-shirt offered while UCLA, an adidas school even gets top billing.

Niketown?

Not to worry, thanks to Eastbay:

Mason

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On the NIKE ELITE issue, it has nothing to do with FINAL FOUR appearences, Gonzaga and West Virginia are NIKE ELITES and have neva been to a Final Four, West Virginia didnt become NIKE ELITE till their run last season in the NCAA Tourny. Gonzaga became because of the year after year run since they were Cinderellas to now becoming a top school.

Now on the issue of George Mason. 3 things may happen:

1) They will probably be NIKE ELITE next season because of their run to the FINAL FOUR

2) Nike will give them new uniforms but will not call them NIKE ELITE

3) Wait to see how GMU plays next season and see if it was just a fluke, or are they gonna start making runs like Gonzaga did season after season

Nike Elite schools are are schools that made the Final Four as Nike schools since Nike Team Sports was created (which was 93-94, though there has been some grandfathering to include Michigan (92-93) and Kansas (92-93 (they were Nike Elite in 2002 when that was their most recent F4 appearance)). Nike Elite was introduced for the 2001-02 season. In addition to a different patch, they wear silver medallions on their necks with the school logo in them (with the exception of Duke's home white - which was instead destroyed by the addition of black trim) and additional and special merchandise, from the warm-ups to T-shirts, which are made with the Elite (which looks like ELI73) logo on them.

The Elite Schools are (from most to least recent by Final Four)

Florida

Carolina (technically Jordan Elite)

Michigan State

Illinois

Duke

UConn

Oklahoma State

Texas

Marquette

Syracuse

Maryland

Oklahoma

Arizona

Ohio State (though if you vacate your F4, are you still Elite (see: Minnesota)

Kentucky

Stanford

Michigan

Next year: LSU and George Mason will become Nike Elite schools.

The same rule applies for women's teams, except that they did not start wearing Nike Elite until the 03-04 season

Nike Elite schools are are schools that made the Final Four as Nike schools since Nike Team Sports was created (which was 93-94, though there has been some grandfathering to include Michigan (92-93) and Kansas (92-93 (they were Nike Elite in 2002 when that was their most recent F4 appearance)). Nike Elite was introduced for the 2001-02 season. In addition to a different patch, they wear silver medallions on their necks with the school logo in them (with the exception of Duke's home white - which was instead destroyed by the addition of black trim) and additional and special merchandise, from the warm-ups to T-shirts, which are made with the Elite (which looks like ELI73) logo on them.

Florida

Michigan State

Illinois

Duke

UConn

Oklahoma State

Texas

Marquette

Syracuse

Maryland

Oklahoma

Arizona

Kentucky

Stanford

Michigan

The same rule applies for women's teams, except that they did not start wearing Nike Elite until the 03-04 season

For the women, I believe UConn is the only who does it.

Florida

Michigan State

Illinois

Duke

UConn

Oklahoma State

Texas

Marquette

Syracuse

Maryland

Oklahoma

Arizona

Kentucky

Stanford

Michigan

I've never seen it broken down any better. Kudos to you, mstein.

Archived