The planned Mets stadium

Bearcats

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some differences, yes but don't go selling this thing like it's unique.  And I discount the Ebbets exterior.  No one spends much time looking at the exterior anyway.  Unless you don't have a ticket.

Lets break this down:

For 83 or so days per year, 50,000(more like 30,000) people spend four or so hours inside the park.

My conclusion is this: For 282 or so days out of the year, thousands upon thousands(more like millions) will spend all day (and 20 hrs on game day) driving or walking past the exterior of the park. How are you right about no one spends much time looking at the exterior???

I think the problem with this design is that is has no connnection to being in Queens. I live in Queens and there's nothing in this building that makes it feel like a Queens park. And I don't want to hear that the lighting mimics the bridges of New York . Please, Shea is like 10 miles from any of those bridges. If they wanted to really connect to the area, they should have added a runway on the other side of the outfield wall. At least you could watch the planes that are splitting your ears land.

At one point, I had drawn up an idea for a new Mets stadium based somewhat on this building:

twa22.jpg

Sure, it's at the airport on the other side of Queens, but I think it's a more appropriate inspiration than a building that the team never played in and was torn down before the team even existed.

It's the same stuff and is no different than half of the retro parks built in the last 10yrs.

And - gasp - I bet they'll sell hot dogs, like PNC Park! Maybe even beer, like at Miller Park!

They might even have three bases and a home plate, and green grass! Just like Busch Stadium.

I swear, all these new ballparks are identical. :rolleyes:

Ok ha, ha. But its true. When is the whole brick and steel movement going to switch over to the steel and glass movement. Like the renderings of the stadium that the expos were trying to get built. It looked futuristic.

It's like the concepts for the new twins and new marlins parks. They both have a roof that works EXACTLY like Safeco.

All we're saying is , be creative. Miller Park, Rogers Centre Chase Field and Safeco all have roofs, but all the roofs look different and function different. That all we ask.

There is no similairties. Mets Stadium is designed off old Ebbets field while New Yankee is designed off old Yankee Stadium. The arches are a thing of the past that both teams had used before. They are trying to tie in new field and seating with an old facade. Yankee is made of limestone and Mets Brick.

Believe it or not New Yankee Stadium will actually have less seats then the current.

As for the Nationals park they got away from teh retro look, went more modern, encasing teh stadium in glass. It resembles a basekteball arena personally. I like how they did soemthing different.

A drwaing also will not do it justice. When its finished go see it you will see jus how different they are.

However, Safeco Field is designed after Ebbets Field.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

not to get too off topic on a misplaced thread, but i wanna touch on that nats stadium. i think they really blew the idea. it would have been great to see it built in line with the monuments. white stone, columns, statues, ivy...the whole nine. they could have had monuments and statues viewable from the field of play. special balconies for dimplomats. it could have been awesome. that is all.

I think the problem with this design is that is has no connnection to being in Queens. I live in Queens and there's nothing in this building that makes it feel like a Queens park. And I don't want to hear that the lighting mimics the bridges of New York . Please, Shea is like 10 miles from any of those bridges. If they wanted to really connect to the area, they should have added a runway on the other side of the outfield wall. At least you could watch the planes that are splitting your ears land.

At one point, I had drawn up an idea for a new Mets stadium based somewhat on this building:

twa22.jpg

Sure, it's at the airport on the other side of Queens, but I think it's a more appropriate inspiration than a building that the team never played in and was torn down before the team even existed.

So you want the Mets stadium to be designed after JFK airport. Alright designing a stadium after an airport is a bad idea to begin with however if you are going to do that design it after LaGuardia Airport which is right next to Shea and where the new stadium will be not JKF which is on the other side of Queens.

metsballpark.jpg

PBS did a special on the late World Trade Center towers that pointed out the high winds the two towers' designs generated. I'm not an engineer, and I don't play one on TV, but I would guess based on that photo that the wind would howl in from right field, and of course the hitters would hate that. Either that, or you'd have very strange swirling wind patterns.

Packers-2.png

I love threads about venues and all...just one question:

Why is this in the logos forum?

Just a wondrin'.

Do you know of any good forums for sporting venues? :D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For all this talk about copycats and what have you, let's remember where this all started. :D

camdenmainf.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

ballpark.jpg

new_yank.jpg

The new Yankee Stadium has similarities to Ameriquest Field in Arlington. Is the same architectural firm being used on all of these stadiums?

Pretty much. Just about all the stadiums built in the last 20 years has been designed by HOK. Safeco and Chase (the BOB) are the only ones that I know weren't designed by them.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

ballpark.jpg

new_yank.jpg

The new Yankee Stadium has similarities to Ameriquest Field in Arlington. Is the same architectural firm being used on all of these stadiums?

Pretty much. Just about all the stadiums built in the last 20 years has been designed by HOK. Safeco and Chase (the BOB) are the only ones that I know weren't designed by them.

Ameriquest Field was not designed by HOK. It was done by Dallas-based HKS.

IT should be noted thou that Amerquest was designed after many older ballparks such as Tiger, Fenway, and Yankee. The new Yankee Stadium is modeled after the original one. Being the both ballparks are partially modeled after the same older ball park there are going to simularities.

Back to the new Met Stadium here are more pictures.

img_board1_450x345.jpg

img_board2_450x345.jpg

img_board3_450x345.jpg

img_board4_450x345.jpg

img_board5_450x345.jpg

ballpark.jpg

new_yank.jpg

Ameriquest Field was not designed by HOK. It was done by Dallas-based HKS.

My bad. I probably just saw the H and K the brain fullin in the O.

I do have to say that I think it's one of the better stadiums out there.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived