The planned Mets stadium

Bearcats

Just how many stadiums ARE going up in the metro NY area?  Between baseball and football?

Three. Yankees', Mets', and Jets/Giants'. It just seems like more because the cost is like 900 billion dollars.

I thought only the Jets were getting a new stadium and the Giants were staying put.

All the same, I have my doubts about any of these stadiums being built. As some of you may recall, there is still a behemoth structure posed to become the world's tallest building that only has a cornerstone and nothing else.

I'm pretty sure these stadiums will continue to be pretty pictures and nice ideas for a long time yet.

Actually they are breaking ground in a few weeks on both the Met and Yankee stadium. They are using only limited public funds, and other than community complaints, which are always ignored, these projects are a go.

Jet/Giant stadium is in NJ so has nothing to do with NY tax money.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just how many stadiums ARE going up in the metro NY area?  Between baseball and football?

Three. Yankees', Mets', and Jets/Giants'. It just seems like more because the cost is like 900 billion dollars.

Then add the arena in Brooklyn, soccer stadium for the Red Bulls, and possibly a new Madison Square Garden. Pretty amazing.

Plus the fact that construction has already started on the new Devils arena in newark. The Islanders plan to greatly renovate the Nassau Colliseum to the point where that will basically be a new arena and you have every team in the area getting a new arena/stadium in the next 10 years. That is 7 new buildings for the 9 teams in the area.

The Yankees outfield needs to butt up against the Hudson River. I'd like to see people jumping into that water for home run balls!

You do realize that is impossible. The Yankees plan to build the new stadium next to the old stadium. It is near a river (not along) but tha river is the Harlem river which seperates the Bronx from Manhattan.

The only proposed stadium near the Hudson was the West Side Jets Stadium which was a complete failure. Ab=nd even that wasn't right up agianst the Hudson.

The Yankees outfield needs to butt up against the Hudson River. I'd like to see people jumping into that water for home run balls!

You do realize that is impossible. The Yankees plan to build the new stadium next to the old stadium. It is near a river (not along) but tha river is the Harlem river which seperates the Bronx from Manhattan.

The only proposed stadium near the Hudson was the West Side Jets Stadium which was a complete failure. Ab=nd even that wasn't right up agianst the Hudson.

I know it's impossible. Just the thought of people diving into the Hudson after home run balls was humorous to me. They may be covered in sludge but by golly that got that A-Rod ball!!

usa-sm.giffinland-sm.gifstars1-sm.gifdall1-sm.gif

I thought only the Jets were getting a new stadium and the Giants were staying put.

All the same, I have my doubts about any of these stadiums being built. As some of you may recall, there is still a behemoth structure posed to become the world's tallest building that only has a cornerstone and nothing else.

I'm pretty sure these stadiums will continue to be pretty pictures and nice ideas for a long time yet.

Actually they are breaking ground in a few weeks on both the Met and Yankee stadium. They are using only limited public funds, and other than community complaints, which are always ignored, these projects are a go.

Jet/Giant stadium is in NJ so has nothing to do with NY tax money.

Wow. I had no idea. Quit baseball for a few years and major stuff happens. Incredible.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I know it's impossible. Just the thought of people diving into the Hudson after home run balls was humorous to me. They may be covered in sludge but by golly that got that A-Rod ball!!

Sludge?

Is that really what Texans think about the Hudson River? Or just sour grapes over the A-Rod debacle? :P

In the vein that Petco Park and (I think) Camden Yards does, they should find a skyscraper in NYC (I mean one of the giant ass skyscrapers, not you're piddly 20 story ones.) and the build the park around it, using it as an outfield wall. (And hell, you could use a floor of said skyscraper for team offices and indoor training facilities.)  Then they'd have a cool outfield.  (And they'd probably have to make the windows bulletproof to prevent the ball from crashing through, but I'd leave the cracks in them that may result...give it a homely charm.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

As truely rediculous as that sounds, good lord would that be an awesome ballpark.

metsballpark.jpg

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Speaking of new stadiums, a Twins ballpark passed an early obstacle when it got initial approval from a Minnesota State Senate committee. There's still a long way to go, but it's a good start.

I was looking at the Twins' planned ballpark, and the location looks fantastic. I just wish, however, that they would turn it around so fans would be able to look at downtown Minneapolis (especially the IDS Tower) beyond center field rather than a bunch of warehouses.

How creative. It's Citizens Bank Park transposed.

I'm done explaining how Shea II is different from every other ballpark in MLB. If you missed my (and others) comments, how about you actually read the :censored: thread?

Moose

I'm done explaining how Shea II is different from every other ballpark in MLB

I did review. Seems half the people that answered agree with me--it's nothing new.

* It has a walkway in the outfield, where I guess they will sell stuff, just like Citizens Bank Park.

* It has the double deck bullpen in left center field, just like Citizens Bank Park

* It has a multi deck seating section in the outfield, just like right field at Citizens Bank Park.

There are some differences, yes but don't go selling this thing like it's unique. And I discount the Ebbets exterior. No one spends much time looking at the exterior anyway. Unless you don't have a ticket.

It's the same stuff and is no different than half of the retro parks built in the last 10yrs.

Bring back the Whale!

* It has a multi deck seating section in the outfield, just like right field at Citizens Bank Park.

Citizen Bank's multi level deck looks nothing like what's planned for the new Mets' park. CBP has three levels, new Mets' has two, and the shape is different. They're not the same, nor are they really similar.

To say that CBP is "transposed" is a complete exaggeration and wildly inaccurate.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Seriously, what's with all this that they look exactly alike? Of course they are going to look somewhat alike, because they're baseball stadiums. I swear, I think someone might of said they look alike because they both have home plates?! (Not really, but you get my point.)

Yes, the retro stadiums have some likeness, but can you really say that Comerica Park and PNC Park look almost exactly alike, as opposed to Three River Stadium and the Vet did?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

None of the "retro style" ballparks lok the same, yet they all do...this is because they're all made by HOK (not all, but many) who use the same desgin team.

they ARE unique, in that they have different detailing, levels, etc.....but none of them have a genuinely "different" feel about them. SBC is different because of the water, but the rest are largely downtown parks, that have been built on top of old buildings (unlike say, fenway, which had its bleachers built AROUND the street grid).

Underneath they're all the same, all do have similar features and "ammenities" which maximise profits fro msales outlets, they will all sell similar brands of beer, cola and hot dog and 21 varieits of hat

the best ballparks are the genuinely different ones, structurally different, with ivy thats been there for years or with symmetrical outfieldss, because there is no obstacle in the way of it.......

none of them look the same, its just a skin, and underneath they all perform the same way....what we need is integrity in design, rather than minor aesthetic detailing differences

sorry for ranting/being uncoherent.....

I think the problem with this design is that is has no connnection to being in Queens. I live in Queens and there's nothing in this building that makes it feel like a Queens park. And I don't want to hear that the lighting mimics the bridges of New York . Please, Shea is like 10 miles from any of those bridges. If they wanted to really connect to the area, they should have added a runway on the other side of the outfield wall. At least you could watch the planes that are splitting your ears land.

Archived