The planned Mets stadium

Bearcats

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love how there are tons of people walking around but none in the actual stadium and how the parking lots aren't congested at all.

Seriously, I've got about a dozen books on ballparks and ballpark design, not all of them from national publishers, and I have yet to see an artist's rendering or a computer rendering in which:

a. the surrounding lots are filled

b. there is no one gathering around the outside of the stadium

or

c. some section of seats is empty.

I think this is because the time of day these renderings are always supposed to represent is pregame, so there is a need to show all of the above.

BTW, among the most humorous looking renderings I've got in one of the books is a watercolor painting of Camden Yards, with spaces open in the 2,000 car lot used by the corporate bigwigs only; they must have all taken their limos that day. :D

That's a really nice look. But there's also a good point made. At some point..all retro parks will start to look like...all the other retro parks, if they're not careful.

The Giants have one distinct advantage that can't be copied, all that water out there. But the Mets DO need a new place.

Just how many stadiums ARE going up in the metro NY area? Between baseball and football?

Just how many stadiums ARE going up in the metro NY area? Between baseball and football?

Three. Yankees', Mets', and Jets/Giants'. It just seems like more because the cost is like 900 billion dollars.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just how many stadiums ARE going up in the metro NY area?  Between baseball and football?

Three. Yankees', Mets', and Jets/Giants'. It just seems like more because the cost is like 900 billion dollars.

Then add the arena in Brooklyn, soccer stadium for the Red Bulls, and possibly a new Madison Square Garden. Pretty amazing.

Just how many stadiums ARE going up in the metro NY area?  Between baseball and football?

Then add the arena in Brooklyn, soccer stadium for the Red Bulls, and possibly a new Madison Square Garden. Pretty amazing.

new Madison Square Garden? I must live under a rock.

buffalo_sig.png

They tried something like taht in Detroit and Comerica has been a disaster for the Tigers. I dont want a bandbox either but a fair stadium will be fine. For the record current Shea is a pitchers park.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

There is no similairties. Mets Stadium is designed off old Ebbets field while New Yankee is designed off old Yankee Stadium. The arches are a thing of the past that both teams had used before. They are trying to tie in new field and seating with an old facade. Yankee is made of limestone and Mets Brick.

Believe it or not New Yankee Stadium will actually have less seats then the current.

As for the Nationals park they got away from teh retro look, went more modern, encasing teh stadium in glass. It resembles a basekteball arena personally. I like how they did soemthing different.

A drwaing also will not do it justice. When its finished go see it you will see jus how different they are.

I thought only the Jets were getting a new stadium and the Giants were staying put.

All the same, I have my doubts about any of these stadiums being built. As some of you may recall, there is still a behemoth structure posed to become the world's tallest building that only has a cornerstone and nothing else.

I'm pretty sure these stadiums will continue to be pretty pictures and nice ideas for a long time yet.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Nope, the Giants and Jets will be sharing the new stadium in the Meadowlands.

And because public contribution to the new baseball parks is limited to infrastructure (neutering the "no money for billionnaires" argument, there is surprisingly little standing in the way of these new parks being built.

As much as I want Yankee Stadium renovated, not razed, and as much as I want the Mets in Long Island City and not way the hell out in the middle of a parking lot, these stadiums are most likely going to happen.

Archived