Making the NHL more popular

Bleujayone

Both the Toronto Star and the Boston Globe (and I' sure other publications) have done recent story about the increasingly poor TV rating the NHL has been getting in the US. The results have been a scaled back media exposure, shrinking fan base, and a potential financial disaster on the future horizon.

These are the facts; Television ratings are sliding towards XFL proportions, media coverage for pro hocey is lessening as a result of a shrinking interest, Canadian fans can express a laissez faire attitude towards American fans and markets, but they too are experiencing a slide in fan interest and regardless the NHL cannot survive without American revenue.

Say what you will, but the recent lockout/strike was a terrible self-inflicted blow to pro hockey and to be honest I don't feel very much was done on this side of the border to entice fans to come back. In the year that hockey was gone, many fans found that life went on without the NHL. People found other outlets for their hockey fix, or simply found something else altogether. I found the NHL took much of their fanbase for granted and I felt that far more could have and should have been done to improve their standings with sports fans. The following is some of what I feel needs to be done for the NHL to become a healthy entity in the mind's of sportsfans again.

......................................................................................................

*1. Execute whoever is in charge of the NHL's media contracts.

OLN? What @$$hat thought this was the best place to put NHL games? NBC showing games on Sunday afternoon against NFL games? Christ. Get some real television contracts put together, and it might be helpful if someone would play up on the elements of the sport; the violoence of football, the speed of basketball, and the skill of baseball. Whatever. I'd have national contracts with Spike, CW, and Fox Sports. Okay they're not my first choices either, but since they screwed themselves out of ESPN and ABC, it's better than what they currently have. If the NHL has to bite the bullet and take in a little less revenue for a few years, so what? Get the exposure in there and when the demand goes up, they can ask for more next time.

*2. Put the best players in the biggest markets.

Although it was a dark day for Oilers fans when Wayne Gretzky married Janet Jones and moved on to Los Angeles, it turned out to be a great move for hockey all around because it took hockey's best player and put him in a high profile market. It could be argued that Gretzky in California helped with the expansion of the game in the southern markets.

That said, while Sidney Crosby might be the best thing for Pittsburgh, I do not feel him playing in Steeltown USA is the best place for hockey. The sport has lost a rash of aging stars within the last 18 months hanging up their skates, and it needs to expose its best youngest player in the largest markets it can. I'd compensate the Pens bigtime and move Crosby to New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles. There should also be a larger effort made to find and promote other players to market so the burden is not resting entirely on Crosby's shoulders.

*3. Mid-season exhibitions vs. large market minor league teams.

Just as in soccer, hockey should consider having a few mid-season exhibition games versus minor league teams in larger markets. I think it would get better ratings than the All-Star game and it would get better exposure of the NHL in places that should have it.

AHL

Minnesota Wild vs. Milwaukee Admirals, Chicago Wolves vs. Chicago Blackhawks, Philadelphia Phantons vs. Philadelphia Flyers, San Antonio Rampage vs. Dallas Stars, Houston Aeros vs. Pheonix Coyotes, Grand Rapids Griffins vs. Detroit Red Wings.

Buffalo Sabres Vs. Syracuse Crunch, Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Rochester Americans

ECHL

Cincinnati Cyclones vs. Columbus BlueJackets, Charlotte Checkers vs. Carolina Hurricanes, San Diego Gulls vs. Ahaheim Ducks, Las Vegas Wranglers vs. Los Angeles Kings

*4. NHL needs a weekly nationaly televised show.

The NBA has "Inside Stuff", MLB has various shows- in fact most teams have their own local recap show, hell the NFL has their own network for crying out loud. The NHL needs a serious weekly show in the US that showcases the leagues best players, highlights the best plays, and exposes the best fans in the stands. It's all about promotion and the NHL while it does a good job exposing teams in their local market does a poor job of exposing hockey as a national sport.

*5. Enough with the Olympic "Dream Team".

The effort of sending hockey dream teams to the Olympics is a waste of time. It disrupts hockey seasons, endangers players and teams, and to be honest doesn't yeild particularly great results. Instead I would suggest a half dozen tune-up games versus either entire teams or assembled teams featuring several merged local rosters say Team USA vs the Rangers/Isles/Devils. These exhibitions would toughen the Olympic teams up, give them more time practicing together and by doing so forming actual team chemistry, and would again give both the pros and ametuers more exposure among hockey fans.

*6. Have NCAA's Frozen Four tournament in an NHL arena.

Enough with having the colleg hockey playoffs in small obscure places like in the Dakotas. These players are the future of the NHL. Put them in an NHL environment. I would also put in whatever NHL television broadcast deal that the NCAA Frozen Four be broadcast on the NHL's networks. Again, hockey needs to have exposure to find its fans. This might also be a good time for talent scouts to be openly scouting future NHL superstars.

*7. Consider moving out of some of the warm weather markets to places that actually play hockey.

Seattle, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Portland, Winnipeg, Quebec City- all not only have hockey fans, but actually PLAY hockey. Places in the deep south are rather hard pressed to find any hockey being played outside the NHL. No one plays it in high school, college, universities, rec leagues. Oh sure there are transplants living in these places for fans and population wise these are bigger markets. But a bigger market with fewer fans just means more people ignoring your product. Put teams where people appreciate them whether they win games or not.

*8. Marketing Marketing Marketing

I don't see NHL players endorsing that many products outside of hockey equipment. I should think some products like Gatorade, candybars, or sportswear would be an easy sell. If the league doesn't expose their players through means outside the sport itself, they are doing themselves and thier players a disservice. Call it selling out if you want to, but having your best players shilling Coke or Big Macs can only be a good thing from the point of veiw of hockey as a business.

*9. Consider allowing film/telvision crews shoot NHL games and logos into thier productions.

I can recall one of the Leathal Weapon movies having a scene in a hockey arena. The teams playing suggested the Kings and the Leafs- only it wasn't them. They were generic uniforms that only looked similar. The "Kings" wore black and silver unis with a shield logo with a simple "LA" on it. The "Leafs" wore a blue spade on thiers. Oddly enough the home team wore darks at home at that time. I also recall seeing those very same generic uniforms in TV comercials whenever the ad called for a hockey team. What missed opportunities the NHL had.

Another movie "Highlander", was supposed to have it's opening scene take place durring a Rangers/Devils game, but they changed it to pro wrestling because the NHL wouldn't give them the rights.

If I were them now, I'd donate free uniforms and right to the NHL logos to any production that wanted them. Any exposure is good exposure. ANd it this point I should think the NHL really cannot afford to be too picky.

*10. Pay more attention to our cousins to the north. :flagcanada:

In the one counrty they could take their fans for granted- they don't. Hockey might be more popular in Canada, but it's in no small part because they know how to market it up there. An outdoor game, flames and fireworks after goals, local sponsorships up the whazoo, public media relationships that boarder on stalking of fans. Their American counterparts need to take a hint from these guys and be just as persistant with their fans. In the end not enough is being done to make the sport what it is truely capable of.

- Any one else got ideas about how hockey's operations can be improved? And by that I mean offering additional or alternative ideas not just p!$$!ng off on someone else's.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Sorry, but I'm going to rain on some of your parade here:

3 - Why would they do this? At risk of injury, they'd play exhibition games in the middle of the season. If they win, they're supposed to. If they lose, they suck because they lost to a minor league team.

6 - Fans of college hockey aren't necessarily fans of the NHL. College hockey is a different breed, more similar to the Olympic brand than the NHL. Don't punish us fans of one brand by trying to yank our game away from us.

7 - Just because Milwaukee has an AHL team doesn't mean it would support an NHL team. Heck, it hardly supports its AHL team -- and would never pay the price of NHL tickets.

It's where I sit.

I whole-heartedly agree with this. I'm not sure about the minor league vs. NHL games, but it would be interesting to see....I'm just not sure how the Phantoms play the Flyers, since they share players, but whatever.

Basically, the NHL just needs more exposure in the states. I don't know if moving teams around will stir up excitement, or completely screw itself over. Although I think that hockey should stay up north, the southern teams are bringing in somewhat of a strong fanbase.

With the NHL being affiliated with NBC, there's no reason the games should happen once or twice each week on TV. They could have games on every night. They could probably scrap OLN and just make it a hockey network. They could broadcast a game on USA once per week as well.

I wouldn't rest promoting the league solely on Sidney's shoulders. Guys like Thornton, Ovechkin, Iginla, Staal, and Zetterberg, among many, many others, could stir up a boatload of interest. Although the league needs money, ticket prices are a bit steep for hockey...well, I'm not sure about other places, but Philly's got one of the highest prices for tickets in the league. Regardless, if they were lower, more people might go to games.

Most people are drawn to hockey because of the hits and fights. Market the hell out of them. Darren McCarty is said to be one of the best media guys in the league. Although he's getting up there in age, market those kind of guys.

I agree with you on most of the markiting issues, but disagree with some of your other suggestions.

2-You're basically giving teams in "smaller" markets a death sentence. What was so special about the last two Stanley Cup Finals? They both included teams no one thought would be there (Yes, Tampa was the number one seed in the East in '04, but who, out side of Lightning fans, actually expected them to be there?). Your suggestion runs the very real possibility of giving us the same teams on the top year after year, which is never a good thing.

3-Once again, why risk injury for it? If they win, big deal. If they lose it just makes the leauge look worse.

Also, if you must, why the ECHL? The CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL) is the higher quality leauge, and would generate more publicity.

5-Olympic hockey is great. Not having an all-star game every four years is worth it to see the world's best duke it out.

7- I agree with you here, just scratch Cleveland and Milwaukee from the list. The NHL has a presence in Ohio with Columbus, which has a very strong fan base that's still growing. I wouldn't want to detract from that, at least not for a while. As was already pointed out, Milwaukee hardly supports its AHL team.

Although it was a dark day for Oilers fans when Wayne Gretzky married Janet Jones and moved on to Los Angeles, it turned out to be a great move for hockey all around because it took hockey's best player and put him in a high profile market. It could be argued that Gretzky in California helped with the expansion of the game in the southern markets.

That said, while Sidney Crosby might be the best thing for Pittsburgh, I do not feel him playing in Steeltown USA is the best place for hockey. The sport has lost a rash of aging stars within the last 18 months hanging up their skates, and it needs to expose its best youngest player in the largest markets it can. I'd compensate the Pens bigtime and move Crosby to New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles. There should also be a larger effort made to find and promote other players to market so the burden is not resting entirely on Crosby's shoulders.

So then, basically, only big cities deserve good players, therefore the biggest cities are the only ones who deserve to win, right? Wait, they already HAVE big names. If people havn't noticed, they are the only ones able to afford them after they get off their rookie contracts

Crosby is in Pittsburgh? I think he's getting more than enough exposure, I see him on TV everytime I turn it on, and I'm in Leafs Nation. We barely get news from Ottawa or Montreal in this area, and I see news about Crosby all the time.

I think it's a great thing for a small market to get a superstar calabre player. It helps that team, and in turn helps hockey. Pittsburgh has been a team that people have looked at that is on the brink of death. Sidney has brought lot of attention to the team, and could give them the swing to get the new arena they need. How is that a bad thing for hockey that a sick franchise suddenly has someone who could turn the franchise fortunes around? Sounds good to me. Giving the stars to places like New York or LA isn't going to make a difference to those cities. They already get exposure and sell tickets regardless of who plays there. Hell, New York already buys however is a big name. What kind of compensation would you give PIttsburgh? Money? Crosby is a cash cow, why settle for a one time payment when Crosby is going to continue generating for the Pens as long as he is there. What does Pittsburgh get out of it? They just go further in the hole, and the league has another sick team to support.

Crosby doesn't need to play in New York or Chicago or any place like that. Just start focusing on Pittsburgh. Is that so hard?

*7. Consider moving out of some of the warm weather markets to places that actually play hockey.

Seattle, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Portland, Winnipeg, Quebec City- all not only have hockey fans, but actually PLAY hockey. Places in the deep south are rather hard pressed to find any hockey being played outside the NHL. No one plays it in high school, college, universities, rec leagues. Oh sure there are transplants living in these places for fans and population wise these are bigger markets. But a bigger market with fewer fans just means more people ignoring your product. Put teams where people appreciate them whether they win games or not.

This is one of hte bullcrap one hat comes up all the time. You've actually contradicted one of your earlier points. You say that LA is one market that should be getting top names because they'll get more exposurse, yet it is in the range of the sunbelt.

I have a whole big rant for this,, but I'm sure there are enough other fans from the South to comment on this one...

Bleujayone, I'm not sure how much you follow the game of NCAA hockey, but the list of Frozen Four venues is as followes recently:

2002 - Xcel Energy Center - Minnesota Wild

2003 - HSBC Arnea - Buffalo Sabres

2004 - Fleet Center - Boston Bruins

2005 - Value City Arena - Ohio State (largest college hockey arena in the country 17,500 seats)

2006 - Bradley Center - Milwaukee Admirals (17,800 for hockey)

2007 - Savvis Center - St. Louis Blues

2008 - Pepsi Center - Colorado Avalanche

2009 - MCI Cneter - Washington Capitals

2010 - Ford Field - Okay, not a NHL building, but Detroit Lions NFL (they figure 40-50,000 seats)

2011 - Xcel Energy Center - Minnesota Wild

Plus, why would you take the Frozen Four off ESPN2/ESPN to put it on whatever crappy network the NHL has a deal with (Vs.), just for continuity's sake? The fact that college hockey can be seen by basically everyone that weekend is celebrated in the community.

Finaly, before you slam "small obscure places like in the Dakotas," I highly recomend you actually attend a hockey game at Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, ND - home of the Fighting Sioux...

Moose

Bleujayone, I'm not sure how much you follow the game of NCAA hockey, but the list of Frozen Four venues is as followes recently:

2005 - Value City Arena - Ohio State (largest college hockey arena in the country 17,500 seats)

2010 - Ford Field - Okay, not a NHL building, but  Detroit Lions NFL (they figure 40-50,000 seats)

Plus, why would you take the Frozen Four off ESPN2/ESPN to put it on whatever crappy network the NHL has a deal with (Vs.), just for continuity's sake?  The fact that college hockey can be seen by basically everyone that weekend is celebrated in the community.

Finaly, before you slam "small obscure places like in the Dakotas," I highly recomend you actually attend a hockey game at Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, ND - home of the Fighting Sioux...

Moose

the 2012 Frozen Four will be in Tampa, hosted officially by the University of Alabama-Huntsville, since they are the closest D-IA hockey program to Tampa.

And to those who say southern teams should not exist, look at 3 of your last 7 Stanley Cup Champions were from the southern US:

2006 - Carolina

2004 - Tampa Bay

2003 - New Jersey

2002 - Detroit

2001 - Colorado

2000 - New Jersey

1999 - Dallas

Speaking first-hand, the Tampa Bay area has exploded with interest in pro hockey since we have been consistently in the playoffs (02-03 season). I have lived in the Tampa Bay area for almost 10 years, and have been a Bolts fan all along. Lightning hockey, and hockey in general is on it's way up in Tampa Bay!

Places in the deep south are rather hard pressed to find any hockey being played outside the NHL. No one plays it in high school, college, universities, rec leagues. Oh sure there are transplants living in these places for fans and population wise these are bigger markets. But a bigger market with fewer fans just means more people ignoring your product. Put teams where people appreciate them whether they win games or not.

Run for cover. Wanna share a bomb shelter with me?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think executions would help the image ^_^ . I also don't think the people making contracts can be blamed. The NHL is a fringe sport. Even furhter on the fringe than it used to be. They need to get back into the top 10 or so sports before they can be on bigger networks. It will happen eventually.

From a sports perspective, this makes me want to vomit. The but fact is that it is true. They needed to fix the Crosby lottery and make him a Ranger. It would turn me off big time, but ultimately would attract fans and this is a business. However, having the NHL order Crosby to be moved from Pittsburgh to New York would look pretty bad. They need to find a better way.

The NHL season is pretty long and I don't think teams should be playing mid-season exhibitions. Perhaps this would work in the preason. Or NHL pre-season games in places like Milwaukee (ie Minnesota vs. Chicago)

Like #1, the market is not ready for this, but hopefully it will happen sometime. This would be good.

I am with you.

Sometimes the frozen four is in NHL arenas--XCel (Minn) and Fleet (BOS) for example. I love college hockey but it is REALLY a fringe sport and the NHL should not rely on it in any way.

I don't think that the NHL's problem is that there are teams in warm weather. If one does badly and moves to, say, Milwaukee, fine. But if fans go to games in Phoenix, then it's a good thing.

Absolutely.

*9. Consider allowing film/telvision crews shoot NHL games and logos into thier productions.

I'll buy this.

*10. Pay more attention to our cousins to the north. :flagcanada:

Sure.

-----------------------------------------

Perhaps lower the price of the nice looking replica jerseys. Make them affordable for lots of people. The big, colorful jerseys with the cool logos (and that are not too tight!) are a positive for hockey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I hate to rain on your parade over here even more but...Seattle does not have a NHL compatible arena (I swear, that should be stickied on every farking hockey board in the world.) Quebec City's arena cannot support a NHL team today, and the size of the new Winnipeg arena has touched off a lot of debate as to whether or not it is "NHL size".

I think the Milads suffer from being a minor league team in a major league market and the lack of stability with the franchise the last couple of years-don't write Milwaukee off.

The purpose of Southern Expansion was to grow the flippin' game-a process that is lengthy and time-consuming. It is starting to bear fruit though (Dallas would be a model example there IMO.) It would be stupid to completely write it off as a failure.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Most of those ideas are useless. NHL vs. Minor league teams as a promotional tool? Yeah that's a great idea! <_<

I would say the NHL's biggest problem is that their marketing department sucks ass. Strangely enough, I think the best thing that's recently happened to the NHL is the lockout.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I would say instead of explicitly "move north," move to where there's fan demand. If there's more fan demand in Winnipeg than in Atlanta, move that team. Portland would do very well at supporting an NHL team (especially as the closest teams are the Canucks and Sharks - hello, we need a NW team!) and has a lot of hockey support in the community, but isn't as cold-weather an area as Colorado or much of Canada.

they really, really need their ESPN deal back. badly.

harperdc.gif

2010 - Ford Field - Okay, not a NHL building, but  Detroit Lions NFL (they figure 40-50,000 seats)

Plus, why would you take the Frozen Four off ESPN2/ESPN to put it on whatever crappy network the NHL has a deal with (Vs.), just for continuity's sake?  The fact that college hockey can be seen by basically everyone that weekend is celebrated in the community.

Moose

the 2012 Frozen Four will be in Tampa, hosted officially by the University of Alabama-Huntsville, since they are the closest D-IA hockey program to Tampa.

A couple of things on the Tampa 2012 Frozen Four - first off, there is only D-I, not D-IA (D-IA/AA is a football-only thing)... Second, while UAH is hosting, technically, any University in the Tampa area (University of South Florida - heck, they've got a club team) could have hosted the Frozen Four. The 2009 event in Washington DC is being hosted by the Naval Academy, and they don't have D-I hockey...

Moose

Both the Toronto Star and the Boston Globe (and I' sure other publications) have done recent story about the increasingly poor TV rating the NHL has been getting in the US. The results have been a scaled back media exposure, shrinking fan base, and a potential financial disaster on the future horizon. 

These are the facts; Television ratings are sliding towards XFL proportions, media coverage for pro hocey is lessening as a result of a shrinking interest, Canadian fans can express a laissez faire attitude towards American fans and markets, but they too are experiencing a slide in fan interest and regardless the NHL cannot survive without American revenue.

Say what you will, but the recent lockout/strike was a terrible self-inflicted blow to pro hockey and to be honest I don't feel very much was done on this side of the border to entice fans to come back. In the year that hockey was gone, many fans found that life went on without the NHL. People found other outlets for their hockey fix, or simply found something else altogether. I found the NHL took much of their fanbase for granted and I felt that far more could have and should have been done to improve their standings with sports fans.  The following is some of what I feel needs to be done for the NHL to become a healthy entity in the mind's of sportsfans again.

......................................................................................................

OLN?  What @$$hat thought this was the best place to put NHL games?  NBC showing games on Sunday afternoon against NFL games?  Christ.  Get some real television contracts put together, and it might be helpful if someone would play up on the  elements of the sport; the violoence of football, the speed of basketball, and the skill of baseball. Whatever. I'd have national contracts with Spike, CW, and Fox Sports. Okay they're not my first choices either, but since they screwed themselves out of ESPN and ABC, it's better than what they currently have.  If the NHL has to bite the bullet and take in a little less revenue for a few years, so what? Get the exposure in there and when the demand goes up, they can ask for more next time.

That said, while Sidney Crosby might be the best thing for Pittsburgh, I do not feel him playing in Steeltown USA is the best place for hockey. The sport has lost a rash of aging stars within the last 18 months hanging up their skates, and it needs to expose its best youngest player in the largest markets it can.  I'd compensate the Pens bigtime and move Crosby to New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles. There should also be a larger effort made to find and promote other players to market so the burden is not resting entirely on Crosby's shoulders.

Just as in soccer, hockey should consider having a few mid-season exhibition games versus minor league teams in larger markets. I think it would get better ratings than the All-Star game and it would get better exposure of the NHL in places that should have it.

AHL

Minnesota Wild vs. Milwaukee Admirals, Chicago Wolves vs. Chicago Blackhawks, Philadelphia Phantons vs. Philadelphia Flyers, San Antonio Rampage vs. Dallas Stars, Houston Aeros vs. Pheonix Coyotes,  Grand Rapids Griffins vs. Detroit Red Wings.

Buffalo Sabres Vs. Syracuse Crunch, Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Rochester Americans

ECHL

Cincinnati Cyclones vs. Columbus BlueJackets, Charlotte Checkers vs. Carolina Hurricanes, San Diego Gulls vs. Ahaheim Ducks, Las Vegas Wranglers vs. Los Angeles Kings

The NBA has "Inside Stuff", MLB has various shows- in fact most teams have their own local recap show, hell the NFL has their own network for crying out loud. The NHL needs a serious weekly show in the US that showcases the leagues best players, highlights the best plays, and exposes the best fans in the stands.  It's all about promotion and the NHL while it does a good job exposing teams in their local market does a poor job of exposing hockey as a national sport.

The effort of sending hockey dream teams to the Olympics is a waste of time. It disrupts hockey seasons, endangers players and teams, and to be honest doesn't yeild particularly great results.  Instead I would suggest a half dozen tune-up games versus either entire teams or assembled teams featuring several merged local rosters say Team USA vs the Rangers/Isles/Devils. These exhibitions would toughen the Olympic teams up, give them more time practicing together and by doing so forming actual team chemistry, and would again give both the pros and ametuers more exposure among hockey fans.

Enough with having the colleg hockey playoffs in small obscure places like in the Dakotas. These players are the future of the NHL.  Put them in an NHL environment. I would also put in whatever NHL television broadcast deal that the NCAA Frozen Four be broadcast on the NHL's networks.  Again, hockey needs to have exposure to find its fans. This might also be a good time for talent scouts to be openly scouting future NHL superstars.

I don't see NHL players endorsing that many products outside of hockey equipment. I should think some products like Gatorade, candybars, or sportswear would be an easy sell. If the league doesn't expose their players through means outside the sport itself, they are doing themselves and thier players a disservice. Call it selling out if you want to, but having your best players shilling Coke or Big Macs can only be a good thing from the point of veiw of hockey as a business.

I can recall one of the Leathal Weapon movies having a scene in a hockey arena. The teams playing suggested the Kings and the Leafs- only it wasn't them. They were generic uniforms that only looked similar. The "Kings" wore black and silver unis with  a shield logo with a simple "LA" on it. The "Leafs" wore a blue spade on thiers. Oddly enough the home team wore darks at home at that time.  I also recall seeing those very same generic uniforms in TV comercials whenever the ad called for a hockey team.  What missed opportunities the NHL had.

Another movie "Highlander", was supposed to have it's opening scene take place durring a Rangers/Devils game, but they changed it to pro wrestling because the NHL wouldn't give them the rights.

If I were them now, I'd donate free uniforms and right to the NHL logos to any production that wanted them. Any exposure is good exposure. ANd it this point I should think the NHL really cannot afford to be too picky.

*10. Pay more attention to our cousins to the north.  :flagcanada:

In the one counrty they could take their fans for granted- they don't. Hockey might be more popular in Canada, but it's in no small part because they know how to market it up there. An outdoor game, flames and fireworks after goals, local sponsorships up the whazoo, public media relationships that boarder on stalking of fans.  Their American counterparts need to take a hint from these guys and be just as persistant with their fans. In the end not enough is being done to make the sport what it is truely capable of.

- Any one else got ideas about how hockey's operations can be improved? And by that I mean offering additional or alternative ideas not just p!$$!ng off on someone else's.

1. First off about NBC putting the games up agains the NFL you are flat out wrong. No NHL game on NBC or any other national tv station goes up against the NFL playoff games. I wouldn't just look at the dates of the schedules but the times. The week that the NHL has an NBC game the same day as an NFL playoff game the games are at different times. The NHL game is early in the day like 1-2 o'clock and the NFL games are lalter in the day at night. As for Versus I think that was a good move on the NHL's part. You have to remember it was a long term decision and they knew that viewership was going to be down last year. The network is growing into a strong network that can compete with ESPN. It is already in 70 million homes just 20 million short of ESPN. I think within a year or two it will be able to pick up those homes it needs to have the availability. If it gets that other baseball package that's available it will put at the 90 million level. This isn't Sportschannel America which has only in 2 or 3 million homes and had a flawed concept (that is a national channel with regional programing, the regional programming ends up interuppting national program which in turn hurt ratings). Maybe Versus isn't the best outlet, I would have favored a deal with viacom for games on spike also with that you could have cross promtion with MTV which helps get a younger viewer. However ESPN is actually one of the worst places the NHL could have gone back to. It's hard to sell a product when one of your partnerships keep bashing you.

2. No just promote the smaller markets if they are good. People don't care where the teams are from when they decide to watch a game. They are more inclined to watch if the team is from close to them but they won't watch just because the team is plays from some small city. The problem is that in recent that the NHL marketing has been geared to those large markets that when those teams don't make it far in the playoffs the average fan is unfamiliar with them and then doesn't watch.

3. This makes no sense what so ever. You aren't really exposing the game to new people by this because if they are a fan of the minor league team they probably know and follow the NHL. Not mention that the NHL teams have affliation agreements with the minor league teams. Obviously these players couldn't make the NHL team so they would get killed. And why is the ECHL a "AA" league involved. You don't see many baseball games between the MLB team and their "AA affliate." there might be some practice wise in spring training to decide who makes it but they really aren't games that the public can go see.

4. I agree with this point. Just look at what NFL films has helped do for the NHL. I rmember the NHL used to have this called "This week in Hockey" (Original I know) and then changed it to coold shots but that faded away. Plus at the end the show focused less on what happened that week.

5. I agree there are few positives that come from olympic involvement and far to many negatives. When the players go to the olympics they siezed to be NHL players. They are always referred to as being a part of Team Canada or Team USA ect. This does little to promote the NHL or it's teams. Then the game is played with different rules so you get even less of the same game (It wouldn't be the same game with NHL rules because the talent level is far better). Part of it is also that the NHL doesn't run the tournament so they have little to no control over it. Personally with the 2020 games being in Vancouver and set to use an NHL rink the league should try to gain as much control over the tournament as they can. As for playing the olympic teams after NHL participation is over I like that idea (I believe they used to do that) although you don't have to merge teams though.

6. It already is played in NHL or NHL sized venues and markets. But I agree I think the NHL should try to invest money into the college game and help build up college hockey. It helps sells the sport to that younger audience.

7. This is short sighted and contridictory to what you want to game. You want to make the NHL more popular. Well in order to do that you have to introduce the game in new areas. Yes building up a fan base takes time because it is a new thing in the area but it would be well worth it. By having NHL teams in the southern markets it helps build up interest in the game and youth hockey and rinks will start to spur up. These kids grow up to be fans of the game and pass that along to their childern ect. By pulling out of the southern markets you destroy this and end up making the league wrose off than now.

8. I agree and to add to that they need to get them on the talk shows and stuff like that. They need to create a buzz about the league and the game. I think the league should use the model of a campaign a big hollywood film uses when it comes out. Essentially a media blitz. This is where IMO the league fails the most in their marketing. For example they sent their players to the Olympics which was broadcast on the NHL tv partner and the league didn't air 1 commercial for upcoming games after the olympics.

9. I would put this with 9 but Yes but review on a case by case basis.

10. Yes use the Canadian fan atmosphere as a model.

1. This is actually good for the NHL that they have a deal with Versus and NBC. Also, and I sure most people here do forget, there are many regional stations that pick up these games. So, if you don't see your team nationally, at least you have the chance of getting to see your team regionally.

2. Yeah... Doing this will turn the NHL into what Baseball is today: Only the big spenders can get the best players while the small market teams wallow in their own filth. I, for one, am glad to see a Sidney Crosby playing in Pittsburgh, where the pressure isn't as noticable, as to playing for the Rangers or Detroit.

3. Not a good idea. I mean, what can you really gain by playing your minor league affiliate outside of ridicule because you beat what is essentially your best minor league players?

4. That I do agree with. You put this show on Saturday mornings on NBC instead of that Discovery Kids junk they are showing and it'll help the league exposure wise.

5. I, for one, would rather see a team of amateurs play in the Olympic Games. Remember, some of America's best showing came when we used amateurs and not pros.

6. Um, better idea: More programs in College Hockey. I remember the days when there were college hockey teams at Kent State and Illinois-Chicago and when there was a Division II level of play. Now, you just have D-I and D-III and the westernmost team on the mainland is North Dakota. To me, this is apalling. I want to see more schools in the West and in the South take a chance and create college hockey programs. I'm sure there are people here that wouldn't mind seeing a few schools take that chance.

7. No. Just no. Considering the success of these 'Sunbelt' franchises over the last few seasons, I'd say that they are doing the right thing. By having a team in Dallas, Anaheim, Los Angeles, etc., you have a chance of getting that fanbase.

8. Not a bad idea, but what is the aim? What is the target audience they want to reach? This is a very tough area to deal with.

9. Same here. If one of your team's jerseys gets to be worn in a movie, let it.

10. I don't think the fanbases down here are that ferverant. That's okay, because there's always a chance that if the fans get a little too wild, a riot might happen.

6. Um, better idea: More programs in College Hockey. I remember the days when there were college hockey teams at Kent State and Illinois-Chicago and when there was a Division II level of play. Now, you just have D-I and D-III and the westernmost team on the mainland is North Dakota. To me, this is apalling. I want to see more schools in the West and in the South take a chance and create college hockey programs. I'm sure there are people here that wouldn't mind seeing a few schools take that chance.

Surely you realize that two of the last three National Titles were won by Denver University, right B) And that DU's biggest rival is Colorado College, right? :P

In all seriousness, the rest of your post is right on. More teams is key. The expansion of college hockey, and D-I at that is paramount. Truthfully, I think all it would take is one "big name" school from, say, the Big XII, or the SEC/ACC to start-up D-I hockey, and the sport could take-off. Perhaps the rest of that conference follows suit, and here we go!

Moose

Archived