Why is Boomer Esiason not in the Hall?

rebelx

Does anybody have any idea why Boomer isn't being considered for the Hall anymore? The guy is 12th in passing yards all-time, 11th in completions all-time, took the Bengals to a Super Bowl, and had 7 seasons of over 3000 yards. What gives?

No, he didn't have just one good year. He had several. The guy was named a member of the 1980's All-Decade Team, and there was a reason for that.

Again, what surprises me is that he's not even on the ballot anymore, while a guy like Phil Simms, who wasn't even as good as him, IS still on the ballot. Go figure.

Well, Simms did win a Super Bowl and I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that he was a major part in the Giants' second Super Bowl win, even though Jeff Hostetler played in the Super Bowl.

I dislike boomer. I don't think he's hall of fame caliber. I guess it's just me, But im not a bengals fan either, most bengals fan probably like him.

(EDIT: Sorry for my innapropriate language, and im sorry if i offended anyone.)

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

:censored:

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

No, he didn't have just one good year. He had several. The guy was named a member of the 1980's All-Decade Team, and there was a reason for that.

Again, what surprises me is that he's not even on the ballot anymore, while a guy like Phil Simms, who wasn't even as good as him, IS still on the ballot. Go figure.

He had a string of about 4 phenominal years, including the MVP in 1988. After those four years though, he went to crap. If he could have had about 3 more of those years, he'd be a leginimate candidate. I was always a fan, but don't really consider him a HOFer.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

He never won a Super Bowl, I would think. I know Marino never won a Super Bowl either, but his numbers are way better than Esiason's.

Not winning a Super Bowl should never be a reason for not putting someone in the HOF. It's a ridiculous argument. Allow me to illustrate.

A. QBs who have won a Super Bowl

Trent Dilfer

Brad Johnson

Jeff Hostetler

Jim Plunkett

Joe Theisman

Mark Rypien

Doug Williams

B. QBs who have not won a Super Bowl

Warren Moon

Jim Kelly

Dan Marino

Dan Fouts

Fran Tarkenton

Sonny Jurgensen

Who in their right mind would think that anyone from list A is more deserving of a place in the hall than anyone on list B? All of the list A guys have a Super Bowl ring. None of the list B guys have one. Before ESPN came along winning a championship wasn't a requirement for greatness. Apparently in some circles it's all that matters now. If a player is worthy he's worthy regardless of how many championships he's "won." Hell, Jim Plunkett won two Super Bowls and I don't know if he's ever even been up for serious consideration

I think Boomer is borderline and if he had won a Super Bowl it wouldn't change my opinion. He'd still be a borderline candidate at best.

BB52Big.jpg

Boomer's efforts to research and work towards alleviating cystic fibrosis make him a member of the NFL Humanitarian, but not Player, Hall of Fame.

And "fagot" remains on the board? I'm surprised.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And "fagot" remains on the board? I'm surprised.

I think the mods are all still sleeping. (sleepz)

As for Boomer, as a Maryland fan, I like the guy, but he doesn't have that HOF "feel", for lack of a better word. When you think of the QBs of his era, he isn't generally at the top of the list of people you think of, so it is hard to elevate him to HOF status. In fact, until this thread was posted, I never gave this issue a second's thought.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

boomer's a fagot and a whiner, hes over-rated and i hate him..... Thats just my Opinion if anyone cares. ^_^

Good thing no one cares about your opinion, you little :censored: .

Boomer was never great. You can't argue HOF worthiness with numbers because numbers don't prove anything except longevity. The Hall of Fame is supposed to serve as a shrine to the all time greats...the best of the best. There is no Hall of Very Good, and I'm cool with that, but Boomer wouldn't even make it to my Hall of Very Good.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think the mods are all still sleeping. (sleepz)

And here I was thinking he was calling Esiason a MiG-15, which would be a good thing. Great accelleration, packed a good punch, and was intially underrated... but when facing equals, he was smoked in droves. ^_^

As for Boomer, as a Maryland fan, I like the guy, but he doesn't have that HOF "feel", for lack of a better word. When you think of the QBs of his era, he isn't generally at the top of the list of people you think of, so it is hard to elevate him to HOF status. In fact, until this thread was posted, I never gave this issue a second's thought.

I agree you and Greg for this one (don't I almost always do that?). His career highlight was being a sacrificial lamb to the 49ers in the Super Bowl. If that gets you in the Hall of Fame, then Tony Eason and Steve Grogan should both be in on the first ballot. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived