Help me find a new NCAA Football Team

NJTank

First of all as a fan of the "U" I hate that we are losing a fan. I think that the team is full of underachieving thugs who embarrassed a lot of people over the weekend. This may not sound popular, but why not go for FSU or UF? I know that is sacrilege to be a Cane fan and root for them, but they are nice teams and have good seasons and nice uniforms too...and if you hate the Canes now, why not pick up one of the in-state rivals?

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just speaking hypothetically: What happens if you pick Rutgers and then their coach bolts for Miami after Coker gets canned?

With that said, I'd still take Rutgers I think their coach probably will leave either this year or soon thereafter but I think they've got the foundation in place to where they won't be a cellar-dweller anymore. Besides, its not like they could be worse than Temple right?

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

The Schiano situation is the biggest reason Im balking at Rutgers if he stays it could be real fun to be a Scarlte Knight fan for years to come.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

So basically what this thread is is you asking the rest of the members of this forum for help determining which bandwagon you should jump on? Stay away from Notre Dame's... I don't want you as an Irish fan.

IUe6Hvh.png

How can you just "choose" a college team?

I can understand that for professional sports since most towns don't have major sports teams.

But a college? How about where YOU went to school? Or the local team from where you grew up?

The only college team I "chose" to follow was Boston College but that's because it was for NCAA hockey. I can only cheer for my schools in the ACHA.

But anyway, I'd go with Boise State. They have a class program and are pretty damn good year in and year out. And they're a midmajor team which is alot more fun to follow cause you can watch them grow and fight their way to the top. Might not win any national championships, but the big wins are all that much sweeter.

Hate to quote myself, but I think the "You can't choose to be a college fan" meme is a bit trite.

How come I chose to be a Florida Fan?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Hate to quote myself, but I think the "You can't choose to be a college fan" meme is a bit trite.

Though, I'm sure you didn't sit down, make a list of teams that you can't or won't cheer for various stupid reasons, then pull out the first BCS Top 25 poll because you have to cheer for a winning team, of course, and then look at whether said team will be able to continue their success long term, and then choose to cheer for Florida.

IUe6Hvh.png

Though, I'm sure you didn't sit down, make a list of teams that you can't or won't cheer for various stupid reasons, then pull out the first BCS Top 25 poll because you have to cheer for a winning team, of course, and then look at whether said team will be able to continue their success long term, and then choose to cheer for Florida.

Actually, you're close. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I think you're under the assumption that just because you did it it's not lame.

That'd be a mistake.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

When the North Stars moved, I "chose" the Red Wings as my team. It did not really work. I didn't really care. Even when they won the cup, meh.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just speaking hypothetically: What happens if you pick Rutgers and then their coach bolts for Miami after Coker gets canned?

With that said, I'd still take Rutgers I think their coach probably will leave either this year or soon thereafter but I think they've got the foundation in place to where they won't be a cellar-dweller anymore. Besides, its not like they could be worse than Temple right?

I don't think he going to leave for Miami. Outside of being an assistant coach there for a few years he has no connection to Miami. He's originally from New Jersey so it seems he is comfortable of where he is at. Also you have to look at the fact that if he goes to Miami would be just another coach, but if he stays at Rutgers and turns the program into a national power he would become a more big time coach at a school that is right in the middle of 2 of the countries largest media markets (New York and Philly). He turns around Rutgers he could be coach for life where at Miami he could be fired a few years after winning a national championship. If I was a Rutgers fan I would be more worried about him going to Penn State if Paterno retires. There he goes to a larger program but keeps the same recruiting area that knows him as the guy that help turn around Rutgers. Unlike Florida that is probably less familiar with him. If I were him I would stay at Rutgers, there is more upside.

Well, if I were to just decide to pick a new team to root for I think I would look for a few things.

1) Do they have at least some history of winning?

2) Is it possible that someday they could maybe be national champs, but if I jump on now people won't say I only like them becasue they are winning.

3) Do they have a crazy fan base/ are going to games events.

OK, here are my picks for you.

PITT - they meet 1 & 2, fall very short on 3.

Penn State - I am not a fan, but I went to a game last year. Crazy! Lots of fun, the students get really into it.

I always thought SU was the de facto school of choice for the NY Metro area, but that might only be for basketball. It seems kind of lame for Tank to root for Miami sports at all (ugh...what's the attraction?) but now is as good as time as any to switch over to Rutgets. Their football team is dominant this year and they're basketball program is on an upswing over the past couple years. Plus, you get the added bonus of rooting for a perennial underachiever. It can be frustrating, but the good season for a bad team or so much more rewarding than the good seasons for a great team.

Heres a problem with Rutgers Football I dont like Rutgers Basketball that much (Im a Seton Hall Fan) The Hall dose not play Footbal though

I was gonna suggest my alma, Syracuse University, but then I read you're a Hall fan.

Ouch!

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Well, Tank, I think the logical choice for you would be Rutgers but since it seems to pose some conflicting allegiance issues for you come hoops season, I'll put in a good word for my beloved alma mater Mizzou.

Notwithstanding our somewhat embarassing loss to Texas A&M (no disrespect, Aggie fans, but had Willie Franklin held on to the damn ball on the second play of the game, I suspect we would have won convincingly), the Tigers are on a tremendous upswing. Staying in the AP and Harris Top 25's after taking their first loss is certainly a sign that we're starting to get some national recognition as a legitimate football program. After nearly two decades of futility interrupted only once by a brief, two-year period of moderate success, it appears the Tigers are poised to become a perennial post-season participant. There's no secret that our athletic department is taking a page right out of the K-State playbook and there's no questioning the degree of success that the Cats experienced for the last 15 years or so (although I wish them nothing but bad luck this coming Saturday). The Big XII is a great football conference with great football traditions and tremendous fans. Come be a part of all of that and catch an exciting young team while you're at it. MIZ - ZOU!!!

After that Miami fight I have decided to switch allegences, I have sorta of always liked Notre Dame but I was talking to someone and they said Norte Dame has too many fans. I like Rutgers but they are regional and not a National Team, so I have decided to let people nominate my new NCAA Team.

There are 5 teams I am eleminating I hate them and can never root for them.

They are:

1. USC-Hate the Band

2. Cal-Berkley (Guess Why)

3. Michigan-I hate them because of 1989 Final Four

4. Nebraka-I hate that mascot

5. Ohio State-Fiesta Bowl cheating.

Nominate any other team maybe ever try to talk me into saying with Miami Ill look them over and Ill make my announcement later. Ive heard stories of people doing this in other sports and Now Im doing it here I think it will be a fun game.

No offense, NJTank, but I don't understand this sort of thinking. You're a fan of a program for some reason - be a fan during the lean times.

Would you be switching allegiances if the Canes were in the top #5 this year, brawl or no brawl?

First of all as a fan of the "U" I hate that we are losing a fan. I think that the team is full of underachieving thugs who embarrassed a lot of people over the weekend. This may not sound popular, but why not go for FSU or UF? I know that is sacrilege to be a Cane fan and root for them, but they are nice teams and have good seasons and nice uniforms too...and if you hate the Canes now, why not pick up one of the in-state rivals?

There's some semblance of civility between FSU and UM, due to the long history of battles between the two.

There's nothing but disgust for UF, considering the fact the Gators duck out of playing either.

There's some semblance of civility between FSU and UM, due to the long history of battles between the two.

There's nothing but disgust for UF, considering the fact the Gators duck out of playing either.

The Gators duck out of playing FSU? That's news to the rest of planet Earth.

Im tired of the off field incidents too how many Hurricanes were arrested in the off-season?

THen theres always a fight on the field, and they are playing garbage teams like FIU in October I understand the cupcakes in September but not in October.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived