Triple-A Lehigh Valley Unveils Team Name Finalists...

Brian in Boston

Triple-A Baseball's Allentown, Pennsylvania-based Lehigh Valley franchise has selected the eight finalists in the club's "Name the Team" contest. They are...

Lehigh Valley Crushers

Lehigh Valley Gobblers

Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs

Lehigh Valley Keystones

Lehigh Valley Phantastics

Lehigh Valley Phillies

Lehigh Valley Vulcans

Lehigh Valley Woodchucks

In my honest opinion, a largely underwhelming list of candidates. I'll be casting my vote for the Lehigh Valley Vulcans, which I happened to submit.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Vulcans" wouldn't be too bad - as long as they avoid the painfully obvious Star Trek tie-in -- I can see a stylized Spock as the primary logo now... :)

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I give team management credit for even including Lehigh Valley Vulcans.

While I think that a team name honoring the Roman god of the forge works on a number of levels, I imagine that local columnists and sportswriters will savage the name... and probably roll-out tired Star Trek references as their rationale for doing so. The end result will be that most locals will follow the journalists' lead and ignore Vulcans as a legitimate candidate.

I've got the sinking feeling that this contest is going to come down to a battle between Lehigh Valley Woodchucks (yawn), Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (ugh) and Lehigh Valley Keystones. The latter isn't bad, but it doesn't strike me as being Lehigh Valley-specific enough.

Ah, well... who is with me in organizing the Lehigh Valley Vulcans campaign? :)

Voting is now going on at: http://www.mcall.com/nametheteam

My Opinion On Each Name

Iron Pigs

I'm probably the only one here who will say this, but I kinda like this name. No real reason as to why, but I just find it to be a nice tie in to the Iron years and the pig name.. well.. Maybe it's because I'm becoming a softie, but my little girl likes pigs.. I know.. I know.

Crushers

Errrrrrrrrr.. No.. No further comment neccessary.

Gobblers

For some reason, I have a feeling Virginia Techites might oppose this one. Not a bad nickname, but wasn't Tech at one point (and isn't their current)"unofficial" nickname the Gobblers? If Georgia Tech threw a stink over the nickname of the Salt Lake Buzz because it was a knockoff of their mascot's nickname, I can imagine Virginia Tech wouldn't approve of this too well.

Keystones

Not too bad either, although as Brian said, it's not really what you'd call Lehigh Valley specific.

Phantastics

Phathetic.

Phillies

Being the term Phillies is used to define an inhabitant of the city of Philadelphia, I doubt this really does much for a team in Allentown.

Vulcans

Not bad. Congrats for getting your name picked as a finalist Brian!

Woodchucks

Hmm.. I'm just not feeling it.

My Opinion On Each Name

Iron Pigs

Im sorry what? Iron Pigs

Crushers

No too bland

Gobblers

too stupid

Keystones

Pennsylvania is the keystone state. Could work

Phantastics

Ph*ck no

Phillies

Usually I would say no, but most of these names suck

Vulcans

No Im not feeling it

Woodchucks

I actually wouldnt mind.

Signature intentionally left blank

The site gave their own descriptions of the finalists:

Crushers: A reference to the rock solid cement producers. One of the Lehigh Valley's oldest and largest industries.

Gobblers: Hey turkey! It's a reference to the Lehigh Valley's strong agriculture history and the area's turkey farms.

Iron Pigs: A spin off from pig iron - the raw iron which is a critical material in steel production. Another LV staple.

Keystones: To honor our home state of Pennsylvania. Second base is also known as the keystone sack.

Phantastics: Spelled with a "PH" of course. Has a super hero ring to it and sounds like another famous name, the Phanatic.

Phillies: The nickname of our parent club in Philadelphia. Think about it. Lots of kids are named for their folks.

Vulcans: Sorry Mr. Spock, this one is for the Roman god of fire who forged iron. Another one for the steel industry.

Woodchucks: A woodchuck is a groundhog, which is Pennsylvania's most beloved rodent. Apologies to Bill Murray.

Dear God!!!! That is the best they could come up with?!?!

I liked Vulcans when BiB first suggested it, so I will stick with it. Keystones is a distant second, with the other atrocities finishing in an ignominious 6-way tie for last (okay, maybe Phantastics is even worse than the others, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Interesting.

Lehigh Valley Crushers

Blah. Phony grade-school tough. Besides, who needs two Star Trek references on the same list? D

Lehigh Valley Gobblers

There's a good level of minor-league whimsy here. I'd go for this one. B

Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs

Same for this one. I could see them making a hash of it in practice, but in theory it works for me. I say yes. B+/A-

Lehigh Valley Keystones

A great name, can't believe nobody else in Pennsylvania has used it. A

Lehigh Valley Phantastics

Ph:censored: no. F

Lehigh Valley Phillies

Again, Ph:censored: no. Makes as much sense as Los Angeles Dodgers. F

Lehigh Valley Vulcans

Like it. Could work well, if they go with a hammer-and-anvil scheme. Just please avoid any futuristic fonts. B+

Lehigh Valley Woodchucks

I'm on board with this one. Whimsical, fun. A

Iron Pigs works for me, and its quite clever. Screams minor league, but hey that's what they are, so why not roll with it.

liverpool-1.png

How close would this team be to California University of PA?

I mean two teams with Vulcans as their nicknames?

How about the Mahoning Valley Scrappers change their name to the Bearcats.... or Penguins.... or Golden Flashes.

Vulcans is indeed a cool name and has significance in the area, but it is already taken.

fade.gif

How close would this team be to California University of PA?

I mean two teams with Vulcans as their nicknames?

How about the Mahoning Valley Scrappers change their name to the Bearcats.... or Penguins.... or Golden Flashes.

Vulcans is indeed a cool name and has significance in the area, but it is already taken.

California Univ. is pretty much on the opposite end of the state, south of Pittsburgh. I don't see there being too much confusion since the college is probably about a 5+ hour drive from the Lehigh Valley.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived