MLS Playoffs

-kj

Just got done watching my DVR recording of the Chivas USA v Houston match. Houston got jobbed out of an obvious penalty--and, I think, a red card to Guzan--and right after, Chivas scores to make it 2-0. Earlier in the year, Houston was trailing 3-2 against Chivas at the HDC when a clear penalty was not given in stoppage time, which would have given them a chance to earn the draw.

What's with the Dynamo getting jobbed at the HDC? Mind you, DDR needed to put that penalty away, and Houston at least comes out of the first leg only down by a single goal. But, still, if that penalty is called correctly, there's a good chance that it's 1-1, plus Chivas should have been down to ten.

Anyone else see it?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.....I'm guessing "No" would be the general answer in here. Between the NFL, CFL, hockey, college football, NBA, and baseball playoffs, there isn't much time left for soccer. Besides, I've notice the media coverage of the MLS has been spotty at best to begin with.

Pro soccer is still treated like a second or even third tier sport the majority of the time.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Ok, the point of this was not to jump on the MLS or soccer bashing bandwagon, guys.

Complain about the quality of MLS all you want, but it's the top domestic league.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Yeah.....I'm guessing "No" would be the general answer in here. Between the NFL, CFL, hockey, college football, NBA, and baseball playoffs, there isn't much time left for soccer. Besides, I've notice the media coverage of the MLS has been spotty at best to begin with.

Pro soccer is still treated like a second or even third tier sport the majority of the time.

I wouldn't metion the CFL in the same sentence as NFL, NHL, NCAA Football, and the NBA. I've never once heard of CFL games on tv. The only time I heard about the CFL is when Ricky Williams was signing with Toronto.

Also isn't the MLS even bigger than the CFL.

I wouldn't metion the CFL in the same sentence as NFL, NHL, NCAA Football, and the NBA. I've never once heard of CFL games on tv. The only time I heard about the CFL is when Ricky Williams was signing with Toronto.

Also isn't the MLS even bigger than the CFL.

Maybe, maybe not, but I will say many of us have an easier time finding a CFL game on TV than MLS in the US. Besides, it was a blanket statement as the majority of people in here hail from the either US or Canada.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Agreed Mockba,

The point is to talk MLS playoffs, God its like pulling teeth in here sometimes to start a thread,

On topic: Anyways I saw both games on Sunday, The Houston Chivas game was pretty even, Houston may have been jobbed, I did think that they controlled play for the most part but were not able to pull even. I don't know if anyone watched both games but the quality of play seemed far superior in the Houston Chivas game. The was much cleaner and crisper. I have a rant: The field at Toyota Park sucks bad, for being a Soccer specific stadium, you would think that the grass would be better, it didn't looked mowed or anything.

On topic: Anyways I saw both games on Sunday, The Houston Chivas game was pretty even, Houston may have been jobbed, I did think that they controlled play for the most part but were not able to pull even. I don't know if anyone watched both games but the quality of play seemed far superior in the Houston Chivas game. The was much cleaner and crisper. I have a rant: The field at Toyota Park sucks bad, for being a Soccer specific stadium, you would think that the grass would be better, it didn't looked mowed or anything.

I'm still upset about the non-call, but a close second in upsetness is the fact that DeRosario didn't do what I told him to do, mainly fake right and shoot left on the PK.

As for Toyota Field, I think they, like the Home Depot Centre, had just installed the turf, so it was apt to come up easily. Still upsetting to see it though.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Complain about the quality of MLS all you want, but it's the top domestic league.

He's write, you guys really shouldn't complain about having MLS at least you got something. Up here in Canada we don't have a true coast-to-coast domestic league. I want a league with, Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, Ottawa, Calgary, Quebec City, Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Windsor, London, Fredricton, Halifax, Moncton, St.John. That's 16 cities, stadiums that seat 5,000+ and Home Grown players, the first few years wouldn't be that great, but it would be something, A true Canada Soccer League something we haven't seen since the 80's! and Something i've never seen! :cry:

At least we got something coming, let's go Toronto F.C.!

untitled-6.jpg

The Galaxy missed the playoffs. That lost a lot of points with me.

So in the meantime, I'll go for the Rev and FCD. Just so I can at least talk about it.

Hey did anyone see Norwich totally job Cardiff last Saturday? How about that Grant signing?

Yeah, I'll go back to my hovel now.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Anyway...in sticking with the topic at hand and NOT continuing one of the most tired rants this board sees regarding the validity of MLS as a sports entity/soccer in America...I'm following the Revs-Fire series, and hoping the Revs pull out a 2-0 win over Chi-town come Saturday night. I'll be there, freezing my tail off for sure, but said tail shall be warmed with an aggregate goal win at the Gillette. Other than that, I'm not really following any of the other MLS playoff match-ups - too focused on my Revs!

Related news...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...850&cc=3888

Former German coach in running for U.S. job

Associated Press

Former German national team coach Juergen Klinsmann is engaged in informal talks with the U.S. Soccer Federation that could lead to him taking over as coach of the American national team.

Klinsmann, who coached his native Germany to a surprising berth in the World Cup semifinals this summer, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Thursday that he's been speaking with USSF president Sunil Gulati.

"We've had a couple of conversations. I'm evaluating everything that comes up," Klinsmann said. "I'll stay in touch with Sunil and see what it leads to. It's a very casual and relaxed correspondence."

Klinsmann resigned as Germany's coach three days after the tournament, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family. He lives in suburban Los Angeles with his American-born wife and is regarded by many as the favorite to replace Bruce Arena, who was told by Gulati in mid-July that his contract would not be renewed.

"Sooner or later, I have to get back into coaching," Klinsmann said.

Gulati, who has refused to comment on his talks with any potential replacement, repeated Thursday that he hopes to have a new coach in place by the end of the year.

Klinsmann is a close friend of Arena's and attended some U.S. team practices when the players worked out in California. He said there isn't any timetable on his talks with Gulati.

"Obviously, those are discussions that will continue, and we'll see where they lead," he said.

In announcing Arena's departure, Gulati said his successor should have "some knowledge of American soccer, experience, leadership, a track record of success."

"Does Juergen Klinsmann have those qualities? He probably does," Gulati said then. "He's had success with the German team; he has a much better handle on the American soccer scene than someone who hasn't spent time here; he's inquisitive. He's an intelligent guy, multilingual with a lot of very positive qualities."

The 42-year-old Klinsmann's stint in charge of Germany opened him up to considerable criticism for his decision to commute from California. But those complaints dissipated as the World Cup host advanced to the semifinals before losing to Italy, the eventual champion.

"I've lived in this country for eight years now, so I've followed soccer development in the United States," he said. "It's definitely a very different situation in this country. Obviously, the approach here in the U.S. would be a totally different one. The player-development aspect is a huge aspect."

After advancing to the World Cup quarterfinals in 2002, its best showing since the initial tournament in 1930, the United States was knocked out in the first round this year. Playing in the most difficult of the eight groups, the Americans lost to the Czech Republic 3-0, tied Italy 1-1 and lost to Ghana 2-1.

Klinsmann was a star forward for Germany, playing in the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cups and scoring 11 goals, tied for fifth in the history of the tournament. He was a member of Germany's 1990 World Cup and 1996 European Championship teams, and he scored 47 goals in 108 international appearances.

At the club level, he played for Stuttgarter Kickers, VfB Stuttgart and Bayern Munich in Germany, Internazionale of Milan and Sampdoria in Italy, AS Monaco in France and Tottenham Hotspur in England.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

MLS Playoffs? Is this a part of the same league that calls themselves "Major League Soccer" but has an expansion team called Toronto Football Club? Terrible...

What's your point, other than to threadcrap?

I realize that I too am threadcrapping, but seriously, Mr. 96posts, what's the point?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Jurgen *bowdown*

------

FC Dallas - Colorado, Chivas - Houston, DC - Red Bulls and New England - Chicago in the semi-finals...I'm going to guess Dallas and Houston in the west final, DC and Chicago in the east, and then Dallas and DC in the final.

harperdc.gif

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Ching is officially The Man. What a win. The support there at Robertson Stadium was huge, and I sure wish I could have been there. Got to support Houston 1836 and all... ;)

And Chivas is a bunch of goons, plain and simple.

It looked like a great crop of games this weekend. I only caught the NY-DC game, but the quality of play was intense.

The MLS regular season to me is pretty dull, but I'll admit that the playoffs have been really entertaining. Perhaps a future change of league format will make the entire season worth watching. The quality of play certainly can't be blamed.

More great MNT News... We're heading to the Copa America!

Time to bring Klinsmann on, don't you think? <_<

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281460.html

U.S. MNT To Participate in 2007 Copa America in Venezuela

U.S. To Make First Appearance Since 1995

CHICAGO (October 30, 2006) ? The United States Men's National Team has accepted an invitation to compete in the 2007 Copa America, the regional championship of South America. The 12-team tournament will run from June 26 to July 15 in nine cities across Venezuela. For the United States, the appearance will mark their third entrance into CONMEBOL?s signature event. The draw to determine the groupings is expected to be held early next year.

?We are delighted to be able to accept the offer to play in Copa America,? said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. ?The tournament offers the dual advantage of quality opponents and a challenging environment that will provide long-term benefits for our team. In order to continue our progress at the international level, it is critical that we are able to expose our team to competition at the highest level.?

The U.S. is competing in the biennial event for the first time since 1995, when a 3-0 defeat of defending champion Argentina and a quarterfinal victory against Mexico helped lift the USA to an impressive fourth-place finish in Uruguay. Despite falling 1-0 to Brazil in the semifinals, U.S. midfielder John Harkes joined Uruguay captain Enzo Francescoli as co-MVP of the tournament. The USA?s only other appearance in the competition came in 1993 in Ecuador.

The first phase of the tournament consists of three groups of four teams each that compete in a round-robin format. The top two teams from each group, along with the two best third-place teams, advance to the knockout phase. Brazil, Argentina, and Venezuela have been designated to head the three groups.

Copa America is the second international tournament in which the U.S. will compete next summer, and will begin just a few days after the USA tries to defend their title against 11 other teams at the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup, scheduled from June 6-24 in several cities across the United States.

In 2005, the USA became the first team in history to reach the Gold Cup finals five times, capturing their third regional crown by defeating Panama in penalty kicks after a 0-0 draw in regulation. Along the route to their third Gold Cup championship, the U.S. extended their record-setting 19-match unbeaten run in group play, while DaMarcus Beasley, Landon Donovan and Oguchi Onyewu were named to the All-Tournament Team.

Archived