Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot 2007

gueman

With the Baseball Hall of Fame ballot being sent out today, Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. are locks.Big Mac won't get in this year. Gwynn will be named on at least 96% of the ballots. My question is will Cal be the first to be unanimous selection. I think he is deserving but I bet there will be 3 to 5 who just won't vote for him just because they want to make a name for themselves.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be in Cooperstown for the Ripken induction, hopefully Canseco(Verrrrrrry Unlikley) or McGwire (Possible) don't get in this year. And no Yankees, I don't want any Yankee fans storming Copperstown and taking away the glory from Cal and Gwynn. And I don't think Cal will be unamious, but I wish he was.

saBS.png

The vote this year will be a decent gauge on how history will look upon the steroid era. I doubt that McGwire will get in this year, but his ultimate acceptance will speak volumes to what steroids will mean to baseball.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Ripken did what,played some extra games? Tried to act tough?When he's 55 and in a wheelchair,he'll think twice about that streak.

Lets see............

3184 career hits (14th all time)

431 career HR (37th all time)

1695 career RBI (20th all time)

World Series Championship in '83

19 Consecutive All Star apperences ('83-'01)

2 AL MVP's ('83, '91)

rookie of the year award in '82

2 Gold Gloves

8 Silver Sluggers

I call that Hall of Fame worthy

saBS.png

3184 career hits (14th all time)

431 career HR (37th all time)

1695 career RBI (20th all time)

World Series Championship in '83

19 Consecutive All Star apperences ('83-'01)

2 AL MVP's ('83, '91)

rookie of the year award in '82

2 Gold Gloves

8 Silver Sluggers

I call that Hall of Fame worthy

Hall worthy, but not a unanimous selection as gueman suggests he should be.

I don't know how much I would weight All-star appearances. Mostly they are fan ballots, meaning popularity. Yes, the popular players are good, but the All-Star ballot is just a popularity contest.

Mentionable for sure, but I don't think I would weigh it as heavy as performance at the plate and in the field, especially ahead of 2 AL MVP's and a ROTY. It'd be the last thing I woud mention

Honestly, I think the whole selection thing is messed up to begin with. The media doesn't have the right to distingush the best of the best in sports.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

There is one writer, I can't remember who, but he never votes for anyone on the first ballot. He said if Ruth and Cobb weren't unanimous worthy, no one is.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Honestly, I think the whole selection thing is messed up to begin with. The media doesn't have the right to distingush the best of the best in sports.

Its worked for 70+ years pretty well...

Personally...I think McGwire should be in. I think he should be on the first Ballot. I think he should go in as an A and not a Cardinal.

BUT, I wouldn't vote for him this year. Because Cal Ripken, Jr. and Tony Gwinn deserve it so much more, and they shouldn't have their day ruined by the debate over the alleged steroids that mcgwire might have taken.

If McGwire doesn't get in, then no one whose best years were between 1996-2004 should ever get in. The only ones we DEFINITELY know who did steroids are Canseco, Caminiti, and Palmeiro, EVERYONE else is speculation. The common belief is a large percentage of players used them while baseball looked the other way, including the writers. So if you can't vote for one of the best of that era, then you can't vote for any.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I think it will only be Ripken and Gwynn this time around. Two classy players retiring together and going into the hall together. McGwire could be in someday. At least, then he would be willing to talk about the past :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I disagree with your statement CarolinaJoe. Although McGwire never tested positive for anabolic steroids, it's no secret that he was taking Andro, which has essentially the same effect. While the ones that have tested positive shouldn't get in (the biggest tragedy is Palmeiro in my opinion), I don't think that McGwire or Bonds should get in because of the steroid scandal. We'll have to wait and see the verdict on McGwire though. The decision for him will be the watershed moment.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I disagree with your statement CarolinaJoe. Although McGwire never tested positive for anabolic steroids, it's no secret that he was taking Andro, which has essentially the same effect. While the ones that have tested positive shouldn't get in (the biggest tragedy is Palmeiro in my opinion), I don't think that McGwire or Bonds should get in because of the steroid scandal. We'll have to wait and see the verdict on McGwire though. The decision for him will be the watershed moment.

I believe you can vote for up to 10, so if I had a vote... i would pick Gwynn, Ripken, McGwire, Canseco and Fernandez (homer pick?)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The complete ballot:

Harold Baines

Albert Belle

Dante Bichette

Bert Blyleven

Bobby Bonilla

Scott Brosius

Jay Buhner

Ken Caminiti

Jose Canseco

Dave Concepcion

Eric Davis

Andre Dawson

Tony Fernandez

Steve Garvey

Rich "Goose" Gossage

Tony Gwynn

Orel Hershiser

Tommy John

Wally Joyner

Don Mattingly

Mark McGwire

Jack Morris

Dale Murphy

Paul O'Neill

Dave Parker

Jim Rice

Cal Ripken Jr.

Bret Saberhagen

Lee Smith

Alan Trammell

Devon White

Bobby Witt

If I had a vote, I'd vote for Gwynn, Ripken, Gossage, Rice, Smith, and Dawson.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'd really like to hear the logic from people who don't vote for Ripken or Gwynn. If they use the argument that Babe Ruth wasn't a unanimous pick, then they should be banned from voting for the Hall simply because they're copying idiots who didn't vote for Babe Ruth.

McGwire ... hmmm. If I were a voter, I'd have trouble with it. I'd probably vote for him since nothing has been proven, but I wouldn't feel great about that vote.

And I would definitely circle Bert Blyleven. Look at hs stats -- he is way overdue for the Hall.

Archived