The new 2007 Batting Practice Jerseys

BadSeed84

Why can't MLB consistently get all the new jerseys, caps, jackets, etc. out prior to Christmas? I understand that some teams have already released their new stuff but there doesn't seem to be a coordinated effort. I'd be buying some gear for my family this Christmas if it was all available.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with TP49 that the Yankees will probably end up being all navy. Some years back they tried a different BP jersey for road games with "NEW YORK" spelled out across the chest in block letters. That only lasted a couple of Grapefruit League games...

Here are some responses to previous points:

Cardinals:

The grey is terrible. I would have liked to see all blue side panels or at least change the grey to white.

Flubs:

They have been going with navy BP tops since 2003. I'm sure these will stay navy for some reason. They look horrible...but what can you expect from that franchise?

Giants:

I work for the Giants in spring training. The black numbers on black jerseys aren't that bad. They have a fairly thick orange outline / drop shadow so they actually stand out. The names are a little tough to read but the numbers are ok. I am the PA announcer so I have to pay pretty close attention to the numbers. I've never had a problem.

Really the only team I had a problem reading was the Angels when they had the red numbers on the red BP tops. I believe that was in 2003. The next year they switched to white numbers.

Rangers:

Last year the Rangers had two BP tops. The script Rangers was for home games, and the TEXAS in the same font as their regular jerseys was for road games. Also, they have the script Rangers on their jackets.

Why can't MLB consistently get all the new jerseys, caps, jackets, etc. out prior to Christmas? I understand that some teams have already released their new stuff but there doesn't seem to be a coordinated effort. I'd be buying some gear for my family this Christmas if it was all available.

I want to purchase some Mets stuff ...

but i dont know if i better have to wait for the new collection (BP gamer jacket, dugout elevation premiere BP jacket...) ?

if they got a new collection for 2007 ?

got some informations ?

does anyone sees the new BP hats ??

Since the Cubs were brought up more than once, I'll say that the main color will not be navy blue, and they will not have a sleeve patch.

I hope I don't regret saying that's a good thing. (There are colors worse than navy that aren't in their actual color scheme.) I could live with red if relegated to BP... but white without pinstripes could be interesting for the Cubs to toy around with. No one said they had to be color, right?

Red would be a bad thing, too.

You know, I agree completely that the Cubs and red don't work, but it's obvious the Cubs want a different look for the BP, and I'd rather see them use a color that actually appears on their uniform than one from out of nowhere (navy). That said, I hope royal blue is the choice (or something like I posted above), preferably something that isn't an exact duplicate of the alt.

Here we go!

ms07batshirts.jpg

Verry dissapointed in the marlins, not having teal as one of the side colors, and also the dbacks have the old colors, hmm, wonder if thats their final one.

Cant wait to see the hats!

I'm really liking the Twins, A's, Nationals and, Rangers ones.

Also the Met's one is not in black! Although there is black in it :cursing:

I can't shake the feeling that these would all be excellent soccer jerseys, in case MLB decides to switch sports.

As batting practice jerseys, I have mixed feelings. I strongly dislike at least some elements of just about every one of these, and they all have the overriding problem of too much uniformity with one another due to the template. On the other hand, the fact that these mostly don't look anything like a good baseball uniform makes me kind of like them for batting practice. Switching from the reasonable uniform facsimiles of the last decade to this glorified tracksuit loungewear might help downgrade the whole idea of "batting practice uniforms," which shouldn't exist in the first place and shouldn't be taken seriously in the second place if they do exist. There will be no mistaking any of these for a sort of bonus alternate jersey, which is how the previous two generations of BP jerseys were marketed.

But if these BPs mark some sort of step toward soccer-style pullover template shirts for game uniforms, then it will be necessary to invent a time machine and travel back to shoot everyone involved before they had their ideas.

20082614447.png

I don't like the concept of BP jerseys, either. But so long as they don't wear them on the field, what the heck.

They don't look like soccer jerseys to me - soccer jerseys don't have buttons. And we've survived the pullover look before....

They feel like soccer shirts. I got to handle one of them a while back. It feels like the Umbro England shirt from the 2002 World Cup. It's stretchy, thicker than a standard soccer shirt, and textured (not as textured as the now-defunct Majestic BP's though).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I can't shake the feeling that these would all be excellent soccer jerseys, in case MLB decides to switch sports.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!

had to do it. :D so when does the pitcher start wearing a different colored jersey?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!

had to do it. :D so when does the pitcher start wearing a different colored jersey?

or would it be the catcher?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I don't like the concept of BP jerseys, either. But so long as they don't wear them on the field, what the heck.

A couple of teams have worn BP jerseys for regular season games. It was in UniWatch a while back. I think the last team to do it was the Twins; I think it was a one-time "let's change our luck" deal. I'm pretty sure the Dodgers did it at least once too.

1zgyd8w.jpg

A couple of teams have worn BP jerseys for regular season games. It was in UniWatch a while back. I think the last team to do it was the Twins; I think it was a one-time "let's change our luck" deal. I'm pretty sure the Dodgers did it at least once too.

The Diamondbacks and Devil Rays have also done it in recent years as well.

When you guys say you don't like the idea of BP jerseys...you mean worn in games or having them at all?

Personally, I think it is traditional to have the BP/Spring Training jerseys. I know it hasn't been around forever, but just whenever I think about players taking BP, doing doppy drills, or stretching, I picture them in colored jerseys. I always remember watching the Cubs Spring Training games growing up (Yes, I hate them but it was baseball and we got WGN) and seeing them with their blue ones and the goofy numbers. Or watching Major League (the movie) and the old navy blue Indians Jerseys. Ozzie Smith with the HUGE STL on his chest, Big mac hitting tape measure drives before games...Its just part of the game that makes it what it is. You warm up in one jersey...go into the clubhouse and come out in a clean, dry uniform.

I can do without these of course. I liked the button ups, or at least the team's having the option of them.

I'm ready to vomit when I see the hats. These should be interesting from what I keep hearing...

Archived