NFL jersey question

Slater

I think the Chargers, but I'm not 100% sure.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I thought it was the Rams and or Redskins.

My completely unresearched two cents would agree that it was the Rams, who had heat-pressed numbers at least through Super Bowl XXXIV (v. Tennessee). They never had embroidered numbers until they switched to their current uniform package. I can't think of any team that used heat-pressed any longer than that (2000).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I thought it was the Rams and or Redskins.

My completely unresearched two cents would agree that it was the Rams, who had heat-pressed numbers at least through Super Bowl XXXIV (v. Tennessee). They never had embroidered numbers until they switched to their current uniform package. I can't think of any team that used heat-pressed any longer than that (2000).

Weren't the Cowboys also late bloomers?

Definitely has to be one of those 4 teams, but I'm leaning towards the Chargers

What was the last NFL team to switch from heat-pressed jersey numbers to the sewn-on type?

I think that all teams went to the sewn on numbers, lettering when Reebok took over the uniforms for all the teams, which I think was 02.

i think even a year or so afterwards the chargers and bills were the only teams left with screen printed numbers

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

The debut of the NFL Equipment line for the 2002 season was the end of heat-pressed era. The Redskins, Bills, and Chargers used the heat pressed on both of their sets of uniforms thru the 2001 season. The Cowboys used heat pressed on their white jerseys until the 2002 changeover, but had used tackle twill on the blue jerseys since Nike introduced the new style in 1997.

The Rams abandoned the heat pressed when they changed jersey styles following their Super bowl run in the 1999 season (2000 Super Bowl).

And after doing some research, the Redskins were the last team to wear heat-pressed numbers in a game, as they played the Sunday night game agianst the Saints on December 30, 2001. None of the heat pressed teams made the playoffs.

Not to nit-pick, but Sewn-on and Heat-pressed weren't the only options. I believe quite a few teams used to Silk-screen their numbers on (Chargers, Dolphins... any team with a split-outline... and other too). I have a few older authentics with numbers that wre definately screened on.

To expand on oldschoolvikings comment - the Rams were the last team to use "heat-pressed" numbers, wearing them in Super Bowl XXXIV at the end of the 2000 season. The Redskins Bills and Chargers were the last to wear silk-screened numbers in 2001.

Heat-pressed and silk-screened are not the same thing. Heat-pressing is where a cut vinyl number is placed on a jersey and literally melted onto the fabric by a heat press. Examples of this would be the LA/St. Louis Rams from 1975-99, the 49ers in the early Montana era (up to about 1982), The Dallas Cowboys of the mid-to-late 70's (with the seriffed numbers). Heat-pressing tended to be used for 1-color numbers/letters only. Silk-screening is where a liquid ink is filtered onto a jersey through a silk screen, with different screens being used for different color inks to separate the colors to create outlines and other effects.

What was the last NFL team to switch from heat-pressed jersey numbers to the sewn-on type?

I think that all teams went to the sewn on numbers, lettering when Reebok took over the uniforms for all the teams, which I think was 02.

i think even a year or so afterwards the chargers and bills were the only teams left with screen printed numbers

The Chargers definitely had sewn on numbers, names and lightning bolts in 02. I know this because I got a jersey from the equipment manager, Bob Wick, that season. It has an 02 label on the inside with the size. I know it was the first year they had used the style because him and I had a conversation about them being nicer than the old ones from the year before. It has an 02 label on the inside with the size.

Archived