Sports on the radio?

Saintsfan

In britain quite a lot of people listen to sports in the radio. Some of my earliest memories of sport are listening to soccer and rugby games on the radio on a saturday afternoon, and the radio coverage of cricket is in some ways just as popular as the TV coverage is. I have heard the radio commentary of Jonny Wilkinson's rugby world cup winning drop goal hundreds of times and seen it on telly a lot less.

So I was interested to know how many people in the US and Canada regularly listen to sports on the radio?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I like listening to college football on the radio

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I can get almost every Moose, Blue Bombers, Minnesota Vikings, and Toronto Blue Jays game here.

In the first few years of the Coyotes, they broadcast their games on the radio here to, but that fell flat on its face real quick.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

In NY sports is all over the radio all our teams have every game on the radio.

In addition we have 3 differeent 24-hour sports talk/game radio sattions, including 66 WFAN the one taht started the format in 1987.

Besides WFAn we have 1050 WEPN a carrir of ESPN syndicated radio and Sporting News Radio on 620 AM

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

like tank siad there are 3, 24 hour sports radio stations here. Sometimes I'll turn on the mute on the tv during the Yankees games and listen to the radio broadcast while watching the game on tv. I do that if it's a fox game and the announcers are Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. They're terrible.

When I lived in Buffalo, we used to turn the sound off on the TV and listen to Van Miller call Bills' games on the radio.  (Van called his last game today :( )

We did the same thing with Sabres games before they put Rick Jennerette on TV too.

Unfortunately, I haven't found the same quality in NC. Of course, Buffalo may have had the best announcers anywhere.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

usually I only listen when I'm driving, susally to the Generals reports after a game, or to the Blue Jays or Maple Leafs. I've developed a real beef tho with play by play guys who don't know how to call a play. They talk alot, but they don't decribe the play very well. The Generals crew has a good play by play guy with them, so I really enjoy listening. The Raptors broadcasts aren't bad either

Well, we naturally get every Screaming Eagles on the radio here, and sometimes, but not often can pick up PEI Rocket games.  I can get 1050 WEPN from NYC and 1510 WWZN from Boston clearly at night and usually listen to them every night on my way home, sometimes just to hear the sports scores every 20 minutes, though if they're broadcasting a game, I usually listen.  660 WFAN seeps through, but not often.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I listen to Yankees and Phillies games on the radio whenever I can ... sometimes radio is better than television.

When neither is on, I will tune around the dial trying to get an out-of-town station with a game on. Usually I can get the Cardinals, Orioles or Tigers games, and occasionally Red Sox. Once in a while I'll get an Expos game in French, and try to work on my language skills.

Baseball is about the only sport I listen to on radio. Other sports are of only minor interest to me, so I don't go out of my way to put them on the radio.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

you want to know how i have to listen to sharks games on the radio if they arent televised?

i have to drive from my house in pittsburg to approximately halfway to san jose to get a signal from 98.5 KFOX that isnt interfered with by some :censored:ing rock station in sacramento  :angry:

its a damn shame, that eureka, which is on about 400 miles north of san jose, has an affiliate station when east contra costa county, which is only about a 90 minute drive from san jose, has no signal.....it.....fries me

i don't listen to games on the radio much, but when i do it's typically either a Cubs game or a saturday night with the Racine Raiders...i tried to get the station that carries Admiral games but reception blows, and haven't really tried to see about Wave games yet.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I used to listen to a Rockies game every night when I went to bed in the summer, now that I am older I usually stay up and watch the game on TV.  I live in Colorado Springs which is an hour south of Denver and before this year we couldn't get a clear broadcast of a Nuggets game.  Now I listen to the Nuggets a lot.  At night I can get Spurs games on WOAI San Antonio.  I like to occasionally listen to Mike Hanes do Avalanche games.  I rarely listen to Broncos games on radio because they are always on TV.
ua_logo.jpg

funny you should mention the spurs...several years ago while i was messing around with my radio, i stumbled upon a spurs game-yes, a spurs game...and yes, it was night. being in wisconsin, this struck me as weird. i can't remember if it was before or after, but another time i was able to tune into a Cavs broadcast, again at night.

and if you're wondering, neither game involved the bucks, matter of fact, i think the spurs boradcast was a game against the kings

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I can get 1050 WEPN from NYC and 1510 WWZN from Boston clearly at night and usually listen to them every night on my way home, sometimes just to hear the sports scores every 20 minutes, though if they're broadcasting a game, I usually listen.

wow....you get WWZN the Zone up in Canada? I live 30 miles outside of Boston and it comes in staticky anytime after 6. The strong sports signal in Boston is 850 WEEI. 1510 The Zone is a very weak signal...it's surprising the Celtics picked it as their flagship station.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

i also used the mute button to hear ernie harwell call tigers games when i was growing up....i'm sure they did the same in st. louis w/ jack buck and l.a. w/ vin scully.....here in south carolina, i can occasionally catch an indians or reds game on the radio after some searching, also listen to the braves and their aa affiliate the greenville braves

Archived