Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

it's funny right as i was looking at those uis, i saw a commercial for

"Spring Arbor University"

the font is very simialr, if not exact.

sac_logo.gif

And if their idea was to become rays, as in "sun rays" why is there still a stingray on the sleeve?

Doesn't make sense. They're lazy, why not just eliminate that and bring in a new logo?

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the front page of their website with the new uniforms:

The Rays have a new image. Embracing the Sunshine State's warmth, the club ushered in a new era on Thursday, unveiling a new name, color scheme and icon. "We want the Rays to reflect the best our region has to offer," principal owner Stuart Sternberg said. Full story >

:blink:

And from inside the story:

The team's new cap has a base color of navy blue and white "TB" lettering cast with a light blue shadow. The "TB" lettering was custom designed for the team and was selected for its elegant simplicity and classic look.

By who? Mrs. Hinklebaumer's 3rd grade typing class?

Rays usher in new era with new identity

Costner leads celebration introducing franchise's altered image

By Bill Chastain / MLB.com

11/08/2007 5:30 PM ET

"We are now the 'Rays' -- a beacon that radiates throughout Tampa Bay and across the entire state of Florida," said principal owner Stuart Sternberg. "Tampa Bay and the Sunshine State are beautiful places. We want the Rays to reflect the best our region has to offer."
The team's new cap has a base color of navy blue and white "TB" lettering cast with a light blue shadow. The "TB" lettering was custom designed for the team and was selected for its elegant simplicity and classic look.

:blink:

"Our new team name and new look express the vibrancy of our organization," said Rays president Matt Silverman. "The Tampa Bay Rays will shine, on the field and in our community. We will be a great source of pride for our region."

8QSKdCG.png

Seeing this in photographs, and particularly in the player photos, I'm revising my preliminary F grade upward. This is not failing work. May even deserve a grade as high as C-minus.

Does anyone know whether the caps are Yankees midnight, or Cleveland navy?

My overall impression seeing these being worn: If that was green, instead of dark blue, these would be passable uniforms.

Bonus feature, which was probably deliberate: From now on, when you go to the Trop when the Yankees are in town, it will look like all the fans sitting in front of you are wearing Rays caps.

20082614447.png

pMLB2-4237762dt.jpg

pMLB2-4230395dt.jpg

pMLB2-4230780dt.jpg

pMLB2-4230786dt.jpg

Seeing this in photographs, and particularly in the player photos, I'm revising my preliminary F grade upward. This is not failing work. May even deserve a grade as high as C-minus.

My overall impression seeing these being worn: If that was green, instead of dark blue, these would be passable uniforms.

Bonus feature, which was probably deliberate: From now on, when you go to the Trop when the Yankees are in town, it will look like all the fans sitting in front of you are wearing Rays caps.

So are they Rays of light or Rays the aquatic animal?

pMLB2-4237762dt.jpg

pMLB2-4230395dt.jpg

pMLB2-4230780dt.jpg

pMLB2-4230786dt.jpg

So are they Rays of light or Rays the aquatic animal?

Take your pick.

(and with that, post #1400)

Why is the Devil Ray on one jersey but not the other?

The white one's authentic, the grey's a replica. Replica jerseys don't have sleeve patches.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Why is the Devil Ray on one jersey but not the other?....and that hat logo...uh letters..... is just terrible.

The one without the Devil Ray is a replica jersey. They don't have any sleeve patches. The road authentic jerseys aren't availyable yet.

If the Rays have a Devil Ray on their sleeve, shouldn't the Astros have a Colt .45 on their sleeves?

Cleveland Navy.

Thanks. That helps cement my C-minus grade for these unis. This is more an absence of good, rather than a presence of bad.

If the Rays have a Devil Ray on their sleeve, shouldn't the Astros have a Colt .45 on their sleeves?

The two examples are not even remotely analogous. A devil ray is a kind of ray. A Colt's revolver is not a kind of astro. But I like your idea of putting the Colt's revolver on the Astros sleeves.

If you don't like the devil ray logo on the sleeve, do you think the new Rays diamond logo would look better on the sleeve? I don't -- to my eye, the logo is the worst aspect of this redesign -- so I'm cool with the fish on the sleeve.

20082614447.png

What it comes down *yawns* to with this design is that *yawns* it isn't really .........*big yawn*.....

............:sleeping:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Someone mentioned Microsoft Word earlier in this thread, and that couldn't be more dead-on. This is such a disappointment when this franchise had such a nice opportunity to at least garner some semblance of respect on the field. Their team is juvenile and boring, as are these new uniforms. I guess it fits.

Archived