Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why did the D-Rays ever ditch this? I think it fit the "90's team from Florida" image perfectly, and guess what the Rays are?

A team whose current ownership desperately wishes the '90s never happened?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why did the D-Rays ever ditch this? I think it fit the "90's team from Florida" image perfectly, and guess what the Rays are?

A team whose current ownership desperately wishes the '90s never happened?

Yeah, I guess they aren't big grunge fans. :D But it don't matter if they started in the 90's or the 60's, they were an exspansion team(Although their fellow 1998 counterparts did go to the playoffs in '99, but still, the expectations were pretty low.).

Unless I misread, these are the roads you're looking for. No "Tampa Bay" on them. There's also a pic of two Rays wearing them on the second tab of the rotating part of the Rays site.
I was afraid of that. I had a slight bit of hope that that was an Alt of some sort (why you would choose road grey for an alt beats me). I'm shocked they were allowed to have a road jersey WITHOUT their city name on it...
Here's the photo from the Rays site of the actual road authentics, I assume with hesitation (via UniWatch):

1925368844_12a03e24a5_o.png

No hesitation required, they are the road uniforms.

bw76gzud1oa0.jpgmaawypit1ek0.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation. With only the replicas for sale and without the sleeves in those photos I posted, you never know. Good to see the full shots.

They do look plain and boring, but since when is that a bad thing? The only thing about the uniform set I don't like is the dark jersey.

True. The Blue Jays jerseys look plain and boring as well, but after a while I got use to them and now I like them.

Usually going with simple things work out the best. After all we have seen worse lol.

4kv29i.jpg

Better than I thought but I still think they should've stuck with green.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

TampaBayDevilRays_FRC_2000_SOL.jpg

I think if they simplfied this scheme to the purple, blue and green, while getting rid of the awful gradient, this set could have been nice.

50 pages and a year's worth of discussion and this is what the MLB creative department shows up with. Ridiculous...another disappointment.

As with most of these kinds of things, let's not put the blame solely on the MLB Creative Dept. Yes, they had a hand in it, but this is what the Rays' ownership wanted.

I have it on pretty good authority that the owners wanted to appeal to the many Yankees fans in the Tampa community by going Navy and by having more simplistic uniforms.

I must admit as well that they look better in real life than on the concept illustrations. I like the colors, and the conservative design is not bad, although I think that tiger style piping is becoming a bit too much of a fad. What I don't like is the uninspired choice of font for the logo set (please don't tell me it's Times New Roman!). Still, I think the overall look of the uniform puts it squarely in the middle of the pack of MLB. Perhaps we all got disenchanted because with the horrible history of this team's identity (green notwithstanding) we expected them to come out with the Mona Lisa to make up for it.

LT

They do look plain and boring, but since when is that a bad thing? The only thing about the uniform set I don't like is the dark jersey.

The dark jersey is the BP jersey. They don't have an alternate jersey (yet?). This set is very plain and boring, but simply putting 'Tampa Bay' on the aways, and possibly just a touch of yellow on the hats, would have made simple yet classy (at least as much as can be with the boring font). My point is though even with that font, just those couple of simple things would have improved it enough that it would be good.

I think that looks nice, but I understand why they did what they did. Look around baseball, most teams have simply letters on their caps. I don't see anything wrong with that. The more that gets crammed on that cap, the more minor league it looks.

That said, I like the concept. It's a simple addition -- not too much.

For those that want to see "Tampa Bay" on the roadies, there is a quote from GM Matt Silverman in this week's issue of Sports Business Journal that states that "Rays" was placed on the roadies to "cement Rays in the national consciousness" and that "Tampa Bay could be on the roadies in 2009.

For those that want to see "Tampa Bay" on the roadies, there is a quote from GM Matt Silverman in this week's issue of Sports Business Journal that states that "Rays" was placed on the roadies to "cement Rays in the national consciousness" and that "Tampa Bay could be on the roadies in 2009.

Hmm, not sure that strategy will "cement Rays in the national consciousness" but it will certainly allow for more new jersey sales next year. And he really shouldn't have said that if he wants to actually sell roads this year. Talk about instant throwback -- they haven't even seen a game yet and he's already saying they'll be obsolete next year.

50 pages and a year's worth of discussion and this is what the MLB creative department shows up with. Ridiculous...another disappointment.

As with most of these kinds of things, let's not put the blame solely on the MLB Creative Dept. Yes, they had a hand in it, but this is what the Rays' ownership wanted.

I have it on pretty good authority that the owners wanted to appeal to the many Yankees fans in the Tampa community by going Navy and by having more simplistic uniforms.

If this is true, then they should have just went with something like this. Sales would have been TREMENDOUS!!

bay.jpg

Archived