TBGKon

Official NFL Free Agency Thread

Just for organization's sake, this will be the NFL Free Agency/Trade thread, if one hasnt been made yet.

ESPN reports that the Bucs and Broncos are close to trading Jake Plummer to the Bucs for a mid-round draft pick (possibly 4th round)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2785459

Oops sorry I didn't see this thread or I would've posted it here. Jake plummer decided to retire instead of being traded to Tampa Bay.

Just for organization's sake, this will be the NFL Free Agency/Trade thread, if one hasnt been made yet.

ESPN reports that the Bucs and Broncos are close to trading Jake Plummer to the Bucs for a mid-round draft pick (possibly 4th round)

Oops sorry I didn't see this thread or I would've posted it here. Jake plummer decided to retire instead of being traded to Tampa Bay.

Thanks for telling me, that is a crock of spit....I bet it's because he doesn't want to play for us in Tampa.

Thanks for telling me, that is a crock of spit....I bet it's because he doesn't want to play for us in Tampa.

It's because he only wants to play somewhere where he'll be named starter right away. He really is an upgrade at QB for a lot of teams so I can understand why he doesn't want to sit on the bench in Tampa since we all know Gruden will name Simms the starter.

It's because he only wants to play somewhere where he'll be named starter right away. He really is an upgrade at QB for a lot of teams so I can understand why he doesn't want to sit on the bench in Tampa since we all know Gruden will name Simms the starter.

That really isn't a given...I seriously think that Gruden would give Plummer a look at the starter's job, since it seems like he works better with the veteran QB's (Gannon, Johnson, and Griese) over a newbie (Simms, Gradkowski)

That really isn't a given...I seriously think that Gruden would give Plummer a look at the starter's job, since it seems like he works better with the veteran QB's (Gannon, Johnson, and Griese) over a newbie (Simms, Gradkowski)

But for some reason he loves Chris Simms. So since there's a chance, and a pretty good one at that, that he'll be a backup, he'd rather not play.

Simms makes me wanna vomit. All good QBs die in TB. I think it's a curse like the Madden/SI curse and should be looked at. Williams had some success...but...

Doug Williams - SB with Skins

Steve Young

Vinny Testeverde

Trent Dilfer :D he even got one.

Just to name a few.

But for some reason he loves Chris Simms. So since there's a chance, and a pretty good one at that, that he'll be a backup, he'd rather not play.

Exactly, Gruden has a soft spot for Simms. He'll either name Simms the starter, or he'll bench Plummer in favour of Simms the first chance he gets. Considering that Plummer is so much better then Simms it isn't even funny, I don't blame him for opting to retire. It's not that he doesn't want to play for Tampa Bay, he just doesn't want to play any part in John Gruden's QB soap opera, especially when he's going to end up backing up a less talented player.

profootballtalk.com is now reporting that the Plummer retirement could be a ruse to get Plummer traded to Houston to play with former coach Gary Kubiak.

I for one think the following deal could work:

Texans get - Jake Plummer

Bucs get - David Carr

Broncos get - original offered draft pick from the Bucs

There are more options for the teams looking for wide receivers now with Eric Moulds, Keenan McArdell and Joe Horn getting cut from their respective teams.

Drew Bledsoe, Joey Porter, Jamal Lewis, Steve Foley, Fred Smoot, Jermaine Wiggins, Mike Rosenthal and Erron Kinney, Brian Simmons, Brad Johnson, Ross Verba, Zach Wiegert are other notables who were cut.

The Bengals let Eric Steinbach go, and now we have to face him twice a year for the next seven years, He signed with the Browns.

Well atleast we know what his weaknesses are.

The Fox affiliate here reporting that Drew Bennett is close to signing w/ the Rams.

-ESPN is reporting Clements signed with the 'Niners 8 yr/$80 Mil

-Fletcher to the Redskins 5 yr/$25 mil

-Bills sign 3 OL - biggest name Derrick Dockery 7 yr/$49 mil

Nate Clements the highest paid defender in NFL history? Thats ridiculous. For 9ers fans sake, I hope its backloaded like crazy and loaded with tons of incentives.

And Dockery 49 Million? What the hell?

The Fox affiliate here reporting that Drew Bennett is close to signing w/ the Rams.

Is this the Rams FO's way of telling us that Curtis is as good as gone?

Bennett signed by Rams = Good move. They haven't had a big, dependable target at wide receiver for a while. I'm a big Bennett fan, so I was really interested to see where he ended up.

The 49ers also signed Eagles safety Michael Lewis and will lose out to the Patriots for Adalius Thomas. It also looks like the 49ers will sign Ravens NT Aubrayo Franklin and will try to snag LB Donnie Spragan from the Dolphins.