American corporate logos in Canada

gojetsgo

After seeing the new Days Inn logo, it got me wondering: Why do American corporations add a maple leaf to the Canadian version of their logos? Personally, I hate it.

Some examples:

dscf3507.JPG

daysinn-ca-2007-logo.jpg

wendys_logo.jpg

3180dennys_logo.jpg

I think it's an insult to our intelligence. It's like saying "Hey, look at the leaf... maybe we're Canadian-owned." Or, "Don't worry Canada, American corporations aren't taking over - you're still distinct from the United States, you guys get little red leaves in your logos!"

Wow, you used the leaf as your apostrophe - brilliantly subtle!

There are a few examples where I think it's OK. Like for GM Canada. Since they have manufacturing plants in Canada, they are actually contributing to Canada's economy and also necessitate a separate Canadian division.

Image:GM_Canada_Old_Logo.gif

But for fast-food restaurants and hotel chains - give me a break. Also, I don't see this going on in other countries. I've seen McDonalds all over Europe, and their logo there is completely the same as the American version. Why don't they use the same logo in Canada?

Any thoughts?

I was thinking about that the other day. I think it is because in canada you can put it there. Canada has a flag like no other in the world. The maple leaf is one of our symbols and to show support to canada people put it in their logos. In the US you could put and eagle but that is too complex or you could put a star but there is so many countrys who have starts. Dont think about it as Canada puttin something there but rather everyone else not have anything to put. I hope that clears it up a bit but even for me I still dont get it 100%.

Cat Eyes - Josh B)

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

I too think its stupid. Whether it oughta be insulting or not I dunno, but it is stupid.

Unless it is a Canadian division of the company it doesn't make much sense at all.

I actually really enjoy the leaf as an apostrophe, but that is strictly from a design sense.

To be honest, it makes more sense for Canadian companies who have operations outside of Canada to use a maple leaf in the logo.

I dunno, it's definitely a weird situation.

Maybe it's one of those things where it seems stupid as heck and that we all know better, but research shows the leaf in the logo actual does increase patronage.

How about American Corporate logos in Australia with he Southern Cross Six Sided Star?

I can't think of any examples offhand although I'm sure there is some and there are seven points in all but one of the stars of the southern cross (the other having five).

sig.png

How about American Corporate logos in Australia with he Southern Cross Six Sided Star?

I can't think of any examples offhand although I'm sure there is some and there are seven points in all but one of the stars of the southern cross (the other having five).

That star alone isn't really any sort of icon or symbol to be honest. The Southern Cross itself is but its not uniquely an Australian symbol even though we make use of it for sporting teams, and other national symbols.

liverpool-1.png

I see it differently. I see it as a company saying "just because we're an American company, doesn't mean we're not proud to be in Canada". I think it shows the company is committed to serving Canadians, and wants to show that important parts of it are based locally.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

When I walk into a WalMart I feel like I'm entering the states...

Often American companies add "Canada" or "Canadian" or the maple leaf so it looks like a Canadian company--when it's not.

But a lot of companies in the US that have "American" or something similar in their names are actually foreign owned...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

True but the southern cross with seven pointed stars is unique to Australia and its dependencies. I'd much prefer to see that as an icon over a boxing kangaroo or similar.

sig.png

I noticed the same thing while going through Canada this summer. There was lots of time to gaze out the window (believe me) and I noticed EVERYTHING has a maple leaf.

That, and Petro-Canada stations are EVERYWHERE.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

http://walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/home.jsp

Walmart in canada uses the star as well, that picture is just old, cause I think up until sometime in the 90s (I'l say late 90s) it was WAL-MART, then they added the star.

Trust me, they still hardly use the star up here -- perhaps all the new ones now are getting the star.

The change must've happened recently, there are a few newer wal-marts in my area (built in the past 3-6 years) which have the hyphen.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

http://walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/home.jsp

Walmart in canada uses the star as well, that picture is just old, cause I think up until sometime in the 90s (I'l say late 90s) it was WAL-MART, then they added the star.

Trust me, they still hardly use the star up here -- perhaps all the new ones now are getting the star.

The change must've happened recently, there are a few newer wal-marts in my area (built in the past 3-6 years) which have the hyphen.

I'm pretty sure the most recent one I can think of in the GTA is "my local" one, and I'll have to double check next time I drive by, (and maybe snap a picture with my snazzy new phone) but I'm pretty sure they do have the Star.

Which interestingly, while I totally see everyone's point, I personally would rather see a maple leaf stuck in there...

With or Without the star, you do get this feeling like you just walked into the You-Esse-Ov-Hay!

Someone should tell them (and De-Ome-Dee-Peau) that you wont sell many Bar-B-Q when there's 1 foot of snow outside and half the trees in the city have snapped under the weight of a mini ice-storm. Looking for melting salt, I almost left wioth a bag of peat moss (Is Pete younger or older than his brother Randy?). Please don't shoot me for shopping there, it was the only store within a couple miles radius opened at 10:00 at night when I was shoveling my driveway...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

American companies aren't the only ones who do this...Candadian companies do this to themselves when entering American markets. There is a Canadian construction company called Wabi Construction that uses a leaf that fades into the wordmark...their American division, Wabi of America, uses an american flag faded into the wordmark and dots the "i" with a leaf.

It doesn't really seem like a big deal to me, if anything it shows some respect to include the country into the design.

While I don't really care one way or another when seeing it on the street, I like that they have the maple leaf in some logos for commercials.

For example, if I'm watching '24' and I see a commercial that a burger combo is $3, I wonder if it's a U.S. deal or a Canadian one. Seeing the maple leaf assures me that it's a deal I can get at a store near me.

That's just my POV on the thing.

I noticed that too when I first moved to Detroit and had access to Canadian TV. I always wondered about that myself and hoped that there was more rhyme or reason to it than "Hey, we love Canadian money the same way we love American money." But I agree... it's stupid and insulting.

brew.png

To show its the Canadian chapter of that business, when those "AMERICAN" companies are in Canada, they are using mostly Canadian products...Canadian Beef for example.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Archived