McHale tops Forbes.com's list of top GMs

Telemundo219

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?...02=stateChanged

NEW YORK -- The top general manager in pro sports, at least according to a Forbes.com ranking?

General managers were graded on two things: performance vs. the performance of their predecessor, and payroll relative to the league median when compared to their predecessor. Because winning is more important than payroll, Forbes.com double-weighted winning percentage to penalize a GM who cut costs but also hurt his team's winning percentage.

Using that metric, McHale is No. 1, Jay Feaster of the Tampa Bay Lightning is No. 2, Billy King of the Philadelphia 76ers is No. 3, A.J. Smith of the San Diego Chargers is No. 4 and Lou Lamoriello of the New Jersey Devils is No. 5.

Billy Beane of Oakland is the highest-ranking baseball GM, coming in at No. 26.

McHale earned the top spot, according to Forbes.com, by leading Minnesota to eight playoff berths and a .539 regular-season win percentage. The Timberwolves won less than 25 percent of their games before McHale arrived.

Minnesota salaries have climbed 19 percent more than the median NBA salary during his tenure.

Among some of the other notables, New York Rangers GM Glen Sather is 12th, Dallas Cowboys' owner/GM Jerry Jones is No. 13, Theo Epstein of the Boston Red Sox is No. 30, Jerry West of the Memphis Grizzlies is No. 33 and Brian Cashman of the New York Yankees is No. 61.

Three NFL general managers, Matt Millen of Detroit, Mike Brown of Cincinnati and Michael Lombardi of Oakland, took the bottom three places in the rankings.

:blink::blink: ???????? :wacko:

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Wow. If A Minnesota GM was going to be tops on this list, I figured it would be Terry Ryan of the Twins.

Is this the same McHale that screwed the franchise by signing Joe Smith (not exactly a superstar) to an illegal contract?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wow. If A Minnesota GM was going to be tops on this list, I figured it would be Terry Ryan of the Twins.

Is this the same McHale that screwed the franchise by signing Joe Smith (not exactly a superstar) to an illegal contract?

This system unfairly overvalues GMs who were preceded by exceptionally poor GMs, or GMs who follow the first GM in the history of an expansion team (who, regardless of how good the GM is, is virtually ensured several losing seasons to start).

Oh well, what are you going to do? The GMs who win championships don't need Forbes to tell them how good they actually are at their job, and don't need to feel slighted about this magazine's ranking system.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Good to see that Bill Polian is no. 9 on that list.

My beefs are with the rankings of some of the hockey GM's.... Ken Holland, Darcy Regier, Craig Patrick and Doug Armstrong have all put together solid contending teams. Yet all four of them are ranked behind, among others, Don Waddell and Doug MacLean. Strange....

espnsig.gif

Good to see that Bill Polian is no. 9 on that list.

My beefs are with the rankings of some of the hockey GM's.... Ken Holland, Darcy Regier, Craig Patrick and Doug Armstrong have all put together solid contending teams. Yet all four of them are ranked behind, among others, Don Waddell and Doug MacLean. Strange....

Yeah, Waddell was ranked a lot higher than I thought he would be, but to his credit, he's put together teams that have steadily improved from season to season, without spending a lot of money in the process. He didn't cheat the expansion process by signing a ton of veterans like the Florida Panthers, Carolina Panthers, Arizona Diamondbacks, etc. did.

Apples to oranges. Baseball GMs can't be that high, because the best team in baseball each year wins around 70% of its games, and the worst team wins around 30%. Average that over at least 3 years (more or less the minimum GM tenure, and I bet it would be closer to 60/40. Thus, if a GM takes a team that is perennially the worst team in baseball and turns them into perennial contenders, he would still be doing a worse job than McHale by this metric.

Besides using faulty statistical methods to indicate on-field success, this ranking highlights the failure of statistics in measuring subjective observations (the "best" GM). It reminds me of the annual US News College Rankings, in which one criteria is average professor salary, which has little or nothing to do with quality of instruction. Several years ago, my alma mater (Williams College) dropped slightly in those rankings because one independently wealthy professor decided to draw a salary of $1.

This ranking is one of the stupidest things I have seen in a while. Did Bill Parcells do the best GM job in history when he took the Jets from 1-15 to 9-7 in a year? (If he did, was signing Vinny Testaverde the best GM move in history?)

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

John Scheurholz is #1, Billy Beane #2, and Terry Ryan #3. Kenny Williams is not top five. Jim Hendry is not top twenty-five.

I find it funny how incredibly low Bryan Colangelo's ranking is (94th) considering he's a frontrunner for this year's NBA Executive of the Year.

I agree, this list is a joke.

I didn't have the sanity or the patience to get down to #94. The study was invalidated for me within the "top 3" names on the list. Billy King isn't even the 3rd best GM in Philadelphia, and that's saying something. :cry:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

What in the hell is Billy Knight even doing on that list? All he's done since he's been with the Hawks was basically rebuild and reubild and scrap that project only to rebuild some more.

But I really shouldn't take it seriously if friggin Kevin McHale is #1.

When I heard that Kevin McHale was ranked #1 on that list, I thought that they were being faceitious. The way he set that franchise back with the Joe Smith contract situation, that alone he should have been fired years ago. Trust me, being a fan of a certain team, I know bad management when I see it.

What's next? Chicago Cubs proclaimed Forbes.com's winningest team?

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Archived