Redskins wearing throwback helmets this season?

Carter23

from redskins.com:

LB1J0130PG.jpg

i had heard (and posted here) that the skins would be wearing a white version of those 70th anniversary jerseys... i just assumed they would be wearing those burgundy spear helmets as well, but now i'm not sure what to think... anyone know anything about this?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One is too many.

Bring back the spear.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Much as I love Vince (and his attempt to make the Redskins look more like the Packers), I am forced to agree.

Washington already has one of the best throwback alts out there. They should just use that. Or, even better, make that the regular uniform and keep the current set as a throwback alt.

from redskins.com:

LB1J0130PG.jpg

The dude sportin' #17 is wearing a broke-a$$ 'Skins jersey.

Anyway...those helmets aren't impressive. They should go with the 70th anniversary spear helmets. That 70th anniversary throwback package was absolutely beautiful.

from redskins.com:

LB1J0130PG.jpg

The dude sportin' #17 is wearing a broke-a$$ 'Skins jersey.

Anyway...those helmets aren't impressive. They should go with the 70th anniversary spear helmets. That 70th anniversary throwback package was absolutely beautiful.

I just took a spit take from you comment. Hey, Snyder probably made him pay to park, so he had to prepare for that.

redskins_lg.jpg

This uniform is the one definitive thing Daniel Snyder has done right during his years of ownership.

Please, please, please, bring it back and make a white road version.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Could Synder just be testing helmets for the inevitable day when he has to abandon the current Indian Redskins helmet logo?

No, because the Indian head isn't the problem. The name is the problem. So using the initial of the name on the helmet wouldn't solve anything with regard to that controversy. Which, come to think of it, would make your theory a perfect Snyder move.

Anyway, sweet as the spear-helmet throwbacks are, and politics of the team name aside how absolutely superior that throwback set is to the actual uniforms, I like the 1959-1964 helmet even better:

cd-rk-wash59.gif

Big old feather running up the back of the helmet to the front over the middle. Pretty much every team has a symbol on the side of its helmet; the feather up the middle would be very distinctive. That's the helmet I wish the team would wear.

Question: Why is it that the Caps come in for so much criticism on this board for wearing blue and a color that John Q. Public assumes is gold, which are actually very common Washington colors, instead of generic red-white-and-blue, but when the Skins come in for criticism everyone focuses on their name and not their completely non-local color scheme? In 16 years living in the Washington area, I have never once seen burgundy and gold except in Redskins-related contexts. Only purple would be less appropriate for communicating Washington-ness. I think it should be a rule: No one may object to the non red-white-blue color scheme of any Washington team unless he has first stated his objection to the Redskins colors. If you like the Redskins color scheme, that's great, but you forfeit the aesthetic authority to complain about any other Washington team not looking Washingtonian enough.

20082614447.png

from redskins.com:

LB1J0130PG.jpg

i had heard (and posted here) that the skins would be wearing a white version of those 70th anniversary jerseys... i just assumed they would be wearing those burgundy spear helmets as well, but now i'm not sure what to think... anyone know anything about this?

I love the old yellow "R" helmets. They wore those too short IMO. That said, those spear helmets look very good too, as does the current design. The feather helmets are great too, but those wouldn't translate too well on TV and with merchandising so they would never fly (though I give them huge props for originality). All-in-all, the Skins have had a sweet set of helmets over the years.

Question: Why is it that the Caps come in for so much criticism on this board for wearing blue and a color that John Q. Public assumes is gold, which are actually very common Washington colors, instead of generic red-white-and-blue, but when the Skins come in for criticism everyone focuses on their name and not their completely non-local color scheme?

I really like the Caps in blue and bronze. But I don't think the two examples are the same at all.

The Caps have a political theme going, and as such there is a certain logic that they should wear the nation's colors. The Skins don't have anything particularily "America" about them, they don't wear a political building on their chests.

So no, while I do not agree with such criticism, I don't agree that their argument must extend to all DC teams.

I agree with BallWonk - the "feather" helmet" from '59 - '64 is the BEST helmetEVERRRRR!!!!

With plain burgeundy unis (no sleeve stripes at all and plain metallic gold pants (no stripes or piping), that would be the best uniform of ALL time - and I can't stand Snyder or the Redskins franchise!!

Could Synder just be testing helmets for the inevitable day when he has to abandon the current Indian Redskins helmet logo?

No, because the Indian head isn't the problem. The name is the problem. So using the initial of the name on the helmet wouldn't solve anything with regard to that controversy.

It would if they changed their mascot to a red-skinned potato

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

No, because the Indian head isn't the problem. The name is the problem. So using the initial of the name on the helmet wouldn't solve anything with regard to that controversy.

Quick, somebody draw a potato throwing a pigskin....

I saw, I came, I left.

The photos in this thread clearly show how the current colors are a result of Lombardi's blatant attempt to turn the Redskins into "Green Bay East" -- he turned true burgundy and gold (as in the throwback-styled alts) into cherry red and yellow.

Gibbs is clearly against thw throwback-colors so, since the 'R' set was the first to use the current color scheme, it's the only one that'll get his blessing,

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Quick, somebody draw a potato throwing a pigskin....

This should work Right??? :D

potato.jpg

saBS.png

Archived