Redskins wearing throwback helmets this season?

Carter23

I agree with BallWonk - the "feather" helmet" from '59 - '64 is the BEST helmetEVERRRRR!!!!

With plain burgeundy unis (no sleeve stripes at all and plain metallic gold pants (no stripes or piping), that would be the best uniform of ALL time - and I can't stand Snyder or the Redskins franchise!!

Have to disagree on the helmet. It's cool because it's different, but show me a Native American whose feather curves to hug his skull like that. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could Synder just be testing helmets for the inevitable day when he has to abandon the current Indian Redskins helmet logo?

No, because the Indian head isn't the problem. The name is the problem. So using the initial of the name on the helmet wouldn't solve anything with regard to that controversy.

It would if they changed their mascot to a red-skinned potato

Quick, somebody draw a potato throwing a pigskin....

This should work Right??? :D

potato.jpg

TOO MUCH DETAIL, TOO CARTOONY :D

While I do like the yellow helmet, I hope they make one concession to modernisation and ditch the grey facemask. I hate grey facemasks on any team that doesn't use grey/silver in it's color scheme.

The Burgundy and Gold Spear unis truly are perfection in this case. I'll go as far as saying that the Skins AND the Cowboys should make the transition to the retro full-time.

Just imagine getting the pleasure of watching 'old school' Skins and Cowboys twice a year EVERY year....could it get any better?

I agree with BallWonk - the "feather" helmet" from '59 - '64 is the BEST helmetEVERRRRR!!!!

With plain burgeundy unis (no sleeve stripes at all and plain metallic gold pants (no stripes or piping), that would be the best uniform of ALL time - and I can't stand Snyder or the Redskins franchise!!

Have to disagree on the helmet. It's cool because it's different, but show me a Native American whose feather curves to hug his skull like that. :D

It's their version of the comb-over! :P

While I do like the yellow helmet, I hope they make one concession to modernisation and ditch the grey facemask. I hate grey facemasks on any team that doesn't use grey/silver in it's color scheme.

Amen. What kills me is that modern uniforms (Cards/Browns/Colts) use the unneeded gray and when throwbacks (Steelers) could technically get away with gray, they updated. Skins need to ditch this whole uniform before it even sees the field (IMO).

KISSwall09.jpg

cd-rk-wash59.gif

Whenever I see this helmet the first thing that always comes to mind is Gavin "The Grey Ghost" Grey. But after that initial thought, I think about how fantastic this helmet is. I'd love to see them use this as a throwback, unfortunetly it seems very unlikely.

cd-rk-wash59.gif

Whenever I see this helmet the first thing that always comes to mind is Gavin "The Grey Ghost" Grey. But after that initial thought, I think about how fantastic this helmet is. I'd love to see them use this as a throwback, unfortunetly it seems very unlikely.

Thought just occurred to me: What if the feather was tipped with gold instead of red? Then you've got team colors. Also, I could see adding a "V" of two feathers "under" the one in the middle, to make the feather theme more visible on the sides.

I think the best football helmets aren't just helmets with a logo stuck on the sides. They look like something. Like the Vikings or the Eagles, Michigan or Notre Dame. Even the Steelers win the helmet sweepstakes by keeping the logo on one side. As far as logo-on-the-side helmets go, the Redskins have a winner with the spear throwback. But the feather-headdress helmet would kick the Skins up into the top class of truly great football helmets.

(OK, another thought: What about taking the gold and white spear, running it up the middle of a burgundy helmet, and then having the spear's feather angle back and down across one side of the helmet but not the other? That, too, would rock. There's something just a bit unsettling about that kind of asymmetry that would make the Redskins look fearsome when you see them at the line of scrimmage, glancing from side to side waiting for the snap.)

20082614447.png

I love when teams put a grey facemask on throwback helmets that never had a facemask. Like the Eagles did with their yellow throwbacks. Stupid.

But the first facemasks were gray, so if the helmets did have facemasks, they likely would have been gray. I get the point that if they are taking other liberties to make the throwbacks up to modern standards that they shouldn't stop at the helmet, but I don't think it's wrong to use gray (just like I wouldn't think it would be wrong to use a non-gray color either.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like them. I love the current Skins look and I dont really care for the arrow look. The ® look is cool, retro, simple. In a world of Cincinnati Bengals, Atlanta Falcons and other ugly, busy uniforms, I sort of like the simpleness and throwback-ability of the ® lid.

The Burgundy and Gold Spear unis truly are perfection in this case. I'll go as far as saying that the Skins AND the Cowboys should make the transition to the retro full-time.

Just imagine getting the pleasure of watching 'old school' Skins and Cowboys twice a year EVERY year....could it get any better?

Only if the Skins never lost...

cd-rk-wash59.gif

Oh yes, Everybody's All-American. Great book, great movie. The sequence when he comes back with the Broncos is one of the coolest sports-related things ever, especially the game in the blizzard.

About teams using gray facemasks on helmets that didn't have facemasks, well, there's your answer right there. If they were REAL men, they'd go without facemasks when they wear throwbacks. :blink:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Question: Why is it that the Caps come in for so much criticism on this board for wearing blue and a color that John Q. Public assumes is gold, which are actually very common Washington colors, instead of generic red-white-and-blue, but when the Skins come in for criticism everyone focuses on their name and not their completely non-local color scheme? In 16 years living in the Washington area, I have never once seen burgundy and gold except in Redskins-related contexts. Only purple would be less appropriate for communicating Washington-ness. I think it should be a rule: No one may object to the non red-white-blue color scheme of any Washington team unless he has first stated his objection to the Redskins colors. If you like the Redskins color scheme, that's great, but you forfeit the aesthetic authority to complain about any other Washington team not looking Washingtonian enough.

i'll answer this. its a matter of perception. Lets take the Caps, Wiz, Skins and Nats. The skins have a color scheme people associate with the team for as long as anyone has been alive. I honestly don't know of a color scheme other than burgandy and yellow. In the skins case, switching to RWB would be very ackward and almost destroy the identity of the team which is burgandy and yellow. i don't think the greatest of concepteurs could design a package using RWB with the skins and make it work as well as burgandy and gold.

as for the Nationals, RWB in their case makes sense with a semi sorta political charged name, RWB and gold(i think the nats have gold in their scheme) makes sense as part of color to team association.

now on to the Wizards and Caps. Both teams before their change used RWB and now use blue, gold and black. With the wizards and the overhaul, the use of Blue/Gold/Black makes sense since they were gunning for a complete overhaul in identification from the Bullets. for the most part the public associates Blue/gold and black with the wizards and it basically fits them. They really don't need to use RWB in their scheme.

The capitals had both RWB and blue/gold/black. I can empthize with the fans wanting RWB for the caps considering they use a politically charged identification. They use the eagle and capital dome which would make more sense if they used a more RWB scheme to match there identification. The wizards colors really don't fit the image the caps are trying to project. I don't buy the just because they are in washington thus they need to be RWB strait across the board. I believe its more a basis of identity. The skins and wizards have their own identity that don't require the use of RWB. Where as the Nats and especially the caps who want to use cultural symbols as their identity, i feel RWB fits the imagery better.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived