Redskins wearing throwback helmets this season?

Carter23

Question: Why is it that the Caps come in for so much criticism on this board for wearing blue and a color that John Q. Public assumes is gold, which are actually very common Washington colors, instead of generic red-white-and-blue, but when the Skins come in for criticism everyone focuses on their name and not their completely non-local color scheme? In 16 years living in the Washington area, I have never once seen burgundy and gold except in Redskins-related contexts. Only purple would be less appropriate for communicating Washington-ness. I think it should be a rule: No one may object to the non red-white-blue color scheme of any Washington team unless he has first stated his objection to the Redskins colors. If you like the Redskins color scheme, that's great, but you forfeit the aesthetic authority to complain about any other Washington team not looking Washingtonian enough.

The capitals had both RWB and blue/gold/black. I can empathize with the fans wanting RWB for the caps considering they use a politically charged identification. They use the eagle and capital dome which would make more sense if they used a more RWB scheme to match there identification. The wizards colors really don't fit the image the caps are trying to project. I don't buy the just because they are in washington thus they need to be RWB strait across the board. I believe its more a basis of identity. The skins and wizards have their own identity that don't require the use of RWB. Where as the Nats and especially the caps who want to use cultural symbols as their identity, i feel RWB fits the imagery better.

Don't forget that the Redskins didn't start in Washington. They came from Boston and brought the colors with them. While the Nationals didn't start in Washington, they had vaguely similar colors in Montreal, and adopted a name and identity package that relied at least partially on both the history of Washington baseball ("Walgreens 'W'") AND national symbology.

I think C2C summed it up fairly well - the teams that have their identities rooted more in Americana and playing in our nation's capital look good in red/white/blue. The Bullets/Wizards don't play up the national/governmental imagery any more than the Redskins, and neither team would look better in red/white/blue.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could Synder just be testing helmets for the inevitable day when he has to abandon the current Indian Redskins helmet logo?

Why would he have to?

Oh, let's say that Snyder wants a new stadium at the RFK site...on federal property...and you have a politically correct administration that says he can only have it if he changes the name.

Far-fetched? Remember, the only way the Redskins got into RFK was to promise to finally let black players on the team.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Oh, let's say that Snyder wants a new stadium at the RFK site...on federal property...and you have a politically correct administration that says he can only have it if he changes the name.

Far-fetched? Remember, the only way the Redskins got into RFK was to promise to finally let black players on the team.

ANOTHER new stadium? FedEx Field is only, what, 9 or 10 years old?

ANOTHER new stadium? FedEx Field is only, what, 9 or 10 years old?

Well it is Dan Snyder we're talking about here, nothing is out of the question.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Some local leaders push for new Redskins stadium at RFK site.

And from a blog: The most likely scenario would see the team demolish the building and sell off the land to help finance what would likely be the most expensive stadium in the country (Danny just has to one-up the Big Stein).

There's been some dissatisfaction about the move to beautiful downtown Raljon, Md., ever since the stadium was built. It doesn't help that the stadium is considered one of the weaker ones among new-generation NFL facilities.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Some local leaders push for new Redskins stadium at RFK site.

And from a blog: The most likely scenario would see the team demolish the building and sell off the land to help finance what would likely be the most expensive stadium in the country (Danny just has to one-up the Big Stein).

There's been some dissatisfaction about the move to beautiful downtown Raljon, Md., ever since the stadium was built. It doesn't help that the stadium is considered one of the weaker ones among new-generation NFL facilities.

It's also the most irritating. Snyder has done his best to destroy the experience of enjoying a football game at that stadium. Advertisements are constantly blasting over the PA and on the big screens, and they rarely show scores from other games.

Oh, and beer is about $10 a cup. Maybe that's why Redskins fans have gradually gotten more surly in the last few years. :P

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

this pisses me off 'cause fedex field is beautiful. Why the hell do they need a new stadium??? the rfk site is to damn small for a football field and plus it would piss off the people who live in dc cause they also have a baseball staidum to "pay for" as well.

it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I just watched a bunch of 'Mega Movers' shows on my TiVo. They should just call one of those guys, hoist up FedEx field on a flat bed or two and drive the whole thing down Pennsylvania Ave. all the way down to the RFK site and make everyone happy. :P

this pisses me off 'cause fedex field is beautiful.
Huh? You won't find more than a handful of Redskins fans who go there on any sort of regular basis that like ANYthing about it.

It started on the wrong foot since the rush to get it built before the Squire (Jack Kent Cooke) die resulted in a very vanilla, no-life facility with excrutiating infrastructure that made getting there and getting out the Mother of All Headaches and it's only been 2-3 years since the subway was allowed to be extended to the stadium's location.

So, the bottom line is that FedEx is cr*p by every imaginable definition of the word.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I just watched a bunch of 'Mega Movers' shows on my TiVo. They should just call one of those guys, hoist up FedEx field on a flat bed or two and drive the whole thing down Pennsylvania Ave. all the way down to the RFK site and make everyone happy. :P

But Snydork would never pay for that. He would just up the beer prices to $6,450 and make the fans pay for it.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• 2 months later...

While I do like the yellow helmet, I hope they make one concession to modernisation and ditch the grey facemask. I hate grey facemasks on any team that doesn't use grey/silver in it's color scheme.

Yes, don't you think back when face masks became part of the uniform if teams had choice of colour they would have picked colours that match their uniform? But the didn't have colour choice, they were forced/stuck with grey. We have a variety of colours now, any colour you can imagine, I hate teams that "pretend" grey is the colour they always wanted!!! Lame Colts, Browns and any other team using grey with no grey anywhere else!!!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

Could Synder just be testing helmets for the inevitable day when he has to abandon the current Indian Redskins helmet logo?

Why would he have to?

If Snyder is forced to change the team name for political reasons, I'd say there's a good chance we won't see helmets with a big 'R' plastered on the side. The name "Redskins" would have to go. It's probably more offensive than the current depiction of a Native on the helmet.

Yes, don't you think back when face masks became part of the uniform if teams had choice of colour they would have picked colours that match their uniform? But the didn't have colour choice, they were forced/stuck with grey.

Not necessarily. By that logic, the Jets should wear green shoes and the Packers yellow ones.

While I do like the yellow helmet, I hope they make one concession to modernisation and ditch the grey facemask. I hate grey facemasks on any team that doesn't use grey/silver in it's color scheme.

Yes, don't you think back when face masks became part of the uniform if teams had choice of colour they would have picked colours that match their uniform? But the didn't have colour choice, they were forced/stuck with grey. We have a variety of colours now, any colour you can imagine, I hate teams that "pretend" grey is the colour they always wanted!!! Lame Colts, Browns and any other team using grey with no grey anywhere else!!!

Agreed 100%. Anytime there is a post that makes this point, I make sure to chime in. My list of major teams (off the top of my head really quick) Colts, Browns, Cards, USC, UCLA, Notre Dame, and many more I'm sure.

KISSwall09.jpg

Agreed 100%. Anytime there is a post that makes this point, I make sure to chime in. My list of major teams (off the top of my head really quick) Colts, Browns, Cards, USC, UCLA, Notre Dame, and many more I'm sure.

Me too. However, I also lump the NY Giants in there as well, even though they justify the Gray masks by tieing in the Gray pants.

It still seems forced and cheap to me.

this pisses me off 'cause fedex field is beautiful.
Huh? You won't find more than a handful of Redskins fans who go there on any sort of regular basis that like ANYthing about it.

It started on the wrong foot since the rush to get it built before the Squire (Jack Kent Cooke) die resulted in a very vanilla, no-life facility with excrutiating infrastructure that made getting there and getting out the Mother of All Headaches and it's only been 2-3 years since the subway was allowed to be extended to the stadium's location.

So, the bottom line is that FedEx is cr*p by every imaginable definition of the word.

Ditto that. I went to a Skins game when I was an intern in DC, and I don't think I enjoyed any part of the experience. It was cold, the seats are enormously uncomfortable (and I'm not a big fat guy -- I fit everywhere), and you are nickel-and-dimed every step of the way, and the stadium isn't that nice a facility. Plus, public transit doesn't run out to Landover (or at least not in any reliable or expeditious way, and it just really isn't a very fun time. And by the way, I've been to several games at Ralph Wilson stadium and while the weather is frequently miserable, the overall fan experience is much better. I've always felt way more appreciated as a fan at Bills games than I ever did at FedEx.

Contrast that to Wizards, Nats, and Caps games, and it's a totally different story. If you're near DC and can get to the Metro, you have a cheap, safe and quick ride to the game. Three cheers for public transit!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I agree with your assessment on the Colts, Browns, UCLA, and USC. Their use of grey is unacceptable.

The Cards and ND, however, don't bother me as much.

The Colts, Browns, UCLA, and USC all went back to grey masks after switching to coloured masks. They took advantage of the technology that was available, and improved the looks of their respective teams. Then they went back to the grey masks, for no other reason then to look retro.

If a team wants to include a grey mask on a once or twice a year throwback for the sake of accuracy, that's fine. But don't abandon your coloured masks to return to a grey mask that adds nothing to the uniform.

The Cards and ND, however, I can live with. Those teams never made the switch to coloured masks, so their continued use of the grey masks doesn't seem as fake or intrusive as the Colts, Browns, UCLA, or USC's use of grey masks.

Archived