Kentucky Derby 2007

I'm posting to ask a question about the Derby, as my main interest in the event lies with an excuse to drink earlier than I otherwise would. However, a thread like this was bound to come up sooner or later, so here it is. Please feel free to post your favorites, your gambling strategies, etc.

Anyway, does anyone know what exact time the Derby is run? I can't remember if it's 5:00 or 6:00 ET. I've got school project meetings early Saturday afternoon, but still want to mobilize an event. I can't seem to find a post time on the Internet.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Post time is 6:04pm EDT.

It'll be interesting to see what stories come out of this year's triple crown run. We've had one each of the last three years, and all of them out of the Philly area -- Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, and then Barbaro. We need something to carry us past the Preakness.

I personally like Street Sense, but that's me.

One of these millenia, I'm going to be at one of these. Shoot, even Queen Elizabeth will be there this year for the first time.

philly.png

I don't bet on the Derby, but I root for a horse as if I did. My strategy is pick the horse with the coolest name. If they end up being a long shot that's just icing on the cake. This year I'm pulling for Liquidity.

I think it was three years ago I was rooting for the horse with the greatest name of all time. At 70-1 or something like that, he almost won before fading away. The name you ask?

Closing Argument.

Perfection.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I'm posting to ask a question about the Derby, as my main interest in the event lies with an excuse to drink earlier than I otherwise would. However, a thread like this was bound to come up sooner or later, so here it is. Please feel free to post your favorites, your gambling strategies, etc.

Anyway, does anyone know what exact time the Derby is run? I can't remember if it's 5:00 or 6:00 ET. I've got school project meetings early Saturday afternoon, but still want to mobilize an event. I can't seem to find a post time on the Internet.

What, you don't like watching the minor-league pony races?

The guy who does the radio coverage of the race can literally send chills down your back on his home-stretch call.....

For what it's worth, when I lived in Louisville, I went to Churchill Downs several times. I've seen horse races, but this particular weekend, I'm mostly in for the big event. It's a casualty of circumstance.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If I cannot bet the field horses, I will look at who is the jockey. As of tonight, I will only look at Scat Daddy (Edgar Prado), Stormello (Kent Desormeaux, and Great Hunter (Corey Nakatani). Actual choice an possible OTB will come tomorrow.

Her majesty Queen Elizabeth II is at the derby. I wonder how much she is gonnna bet?

I hear she is being protected by this guy:

drebin.jpg

Everything should be fine as long as Reggie Jackson isn't also in attendance.

Street Sense wins it... what a race! Came from second to last.

But let's not forget the real winner in all of this...

Barbaro :D

Not so much - nobody hit the (:puke:) Yumfecta by winning the race by more than 6 1/2 lengths. So the $250,000 that would have gone to charities in Barbaro's name got skunked.

The real winner today was... well, me - I got the recipe for mint juleps, and figured out how to make them pretty well. :mojoto:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I went to the local Harness Racing track yesterday to bet on the Derby and take in some live races didnt cash one winner. We had a ton of fun people watching since the crowd was a great mix of degenerate gamblers, happy drunks, mean drunks, really scuzzy dudes, women with mulletts and old black guys in pimp suits giving gambling advice.

Archived