What fonts do you absolutely hate?

Patsfan99

I thought the previous thread about your favorite font turned out to be interesting and full of valuable information and opinions....

so the converse of that thread would be which fonts out there do you absolutely hate? it could be for any reason, either you think it's poorly designed, illegible, overused, clunky, whatever....

the one that really makes my skin crawl when I see it is Monotype Corsiva... I've used it very occasionally in the past and had it work right, but the majority of the world has it on their word processing programs, and they use it any time they want something different than Times that will feel slightly "elegant." it instantly makes something look amateurish to me, and screams "Hey! I designed this in Microsoft Word!" Ugh.

I'm sure Copperplate will make an appearance on this thread, but I'm interested to hear people's thoughts...

Algerian ? just awful.

Arial

Comic Sans

Copperplate

Apple Chancery

Brush Script

Hobo

Papyrus ? makes me see red.

Curlz ? makes me want to kill.

Sand

Serpentine

Eurostile

Skia

Cooper Black

Spumoni

Pretty much any gimmicky font that's based on a pop-culture reference (ESPN, Metallica, Star Wars, etc.)

Algerian ? just awful.

Arial

Comic Sans

Copperplate

Apple Chancery

Brush Script

Hobo

Papyrus ? makes me see red.

Curlz ? makes me want to kill.

Sand

Serpentine

Eurostile

Skia

Cooper Black

Spumoni

Pretty much any gimmicky font that's based on a pop-culture reference (ESPN, Metallica, Star Wars, etc.)

what the man says!

add upper case chancery! c'mon gimme a break!!

Comic Sans should be locked in a cage, sunk to the bottom of the Marianna Trench, have a shark or giant squid $#*! all over it, and be banished from existence for as long as man shall live.

And right behind it can be Lucida Sans, Handwriting, and Calligraphy, Monotype Corsiva, and Kepler MM (okay...that last one is just because I can NEVER get that font to work on my system at my job).

Someone mentioned Trajan is overused...and it very damn well IS. (Go to Blockbuster or Hollywood Video or Iggle or whatever video store you got around you and study the covers...I can bet you that just about half if not more utilize Trajan SOMEWHERE on that box. Right off the top of my head, Coach Carter, Men of Honor, Entrapment, and Braveheart, if I'm not mistaken...I believe Training Day uses it, too.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The worst part is some of these are nice looking fonts, just they are so overused.

Serpentine is one I don't think was mentioned yet. Not a terrible looking font, just so oversaturated.

Serpentine is one I don't think was mentioned yet. Not a terrible looking font, just so oversaturated.

Two votes for Serpentine. It's like the bad 80's music of fonts. An old friend, but dated and has not aged well.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Oh god, Comic Sans is terrible, my old school used it as their 'official' font for newsletters.

I hate those fonts that come up with squares or symbols rather than words.

I don't mind Times New Roman and Arial, but not for designing stuff.

The default font on Word 2007 is nice as well, not sure of the name, starts with C I think. But not for design.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

The worst part is some of these are nice looking fonts, just they are so overused.

That's how I feel about Copperplate. I doubt anyone would have beef with it if it wasn't so overused.

There are correct places and situations in which one may use a font like Times or Copperplate effectively. Yes, fonts like these are overused and used in the wrong way all too often, which is why people have placed them on their lists. Another one people misuse a whole lot is Myriad. Not a bad-looking font, but when you see it everyday used as a headline font on a newsletter or poster, you start to tast vomit in your mouht on a regular basis. Comic Sans and certain gimmicky or scripts or display fonts have no practical uses and need to be eliminated.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Errbody already said Comic Sans, and while I agree, I don't feel the need to spin that record again. (oops, just did)

Joel said Papyrus, but I'll echo that'n

Serpentine

Demonized, although one of my earliest concepts did use it

A lot of freeware fonts. I don't feel like making a list, but there are plenty of god-awful ones.

I'll mention that I really like copperplate, although I'll agree it's way overused.

Archived