Marlins to change name to Miami

simpsontide

A name change (which I assume would have to occur after the 2008 season) would be a great time for the Marlins to make some uniform tweaks. This is probably the best Marlins set I've seen. I don't remember whose concept it was, so please come take credit for it.

miamimarlinsuh1.png

I believe Mark Anthony did those. He is the one who created fonts from the actual jersey script for every MLB team (and helped me with my unsuccessful bid to create the 2009 MLB ASG logos, but I digress).

As for the name...with Tampa Bay reaching out to all of central Florida (notably games in Orlando) and moving Spring Training operations to Port Charlotte, I think they are better suited for a "Florida" moniker. Especially considering the fine people of St. Pete despise Tampa getting the credit for the team's home base.

I like the name "Miami Marlins"...almost as much as I like "Florida Stingrays."

OK, I'm making that last one up...but it does sound good.

Cards.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackjack76, you are entirely correct about the Rays trying to diversify their fan base to the south and east. Stu Sternberg sees that as being especially important in creating a successful franchise. I forget when specifically, but there was a story in the local media last September I believe in which either Sternberg or team president Matt Silverman suggested that the Rays are open to all possibilities for location name when they do their re-branding. This included "Florida Rays". They all but ruled out naming them the "St. Petersburg Rays" because they wanted their focus to get larger. However Florida Rays was still not likely.

Quite frankly, I don't think they will change their location name at all. Being a St. Pete homer, I'd love to see "Tampa Bay Devil Rays of St. Petersburg" as the new name, but considering the rest of the area's teams are just "Tampa Bay", that will suffice and I have no problem with it.

This is news? I remember this story from at least 4 years ago. And it was tied to a stadium in Miami-Dade area.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

According to "Back To The Future II" there is a Miami team, who the Cubs beat in the 2015 World Series. So re-alignment can't be too far off..

I was thinking about the same thing. Miami's mascot in 2015 looked like a Marlin too.

Nope. It was a smiling alligator holding a baseball bat. So they need to be renamed the Gators too.

I forget when specifically, but there was a story in the local media last September I believe in which either Sternberg or team president Matt Silverman suggested that the Rays are open to all possibilities for location name when they do their re-branding. This included "Florida Rays". They all but ruled out naming them the "St. Petersburg Rays" because they wanted their focus to get larger. However Florida Rays was still not likely.

Florida Rays?, Devil Rays Officials Considering Change

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Blackjack76, you are entirely correct about the Rays trying to diversify their fan base to the south and east. Stu Sternberg sees that as being especially important in creating a successful franchise. I forget when specifically, but there was a story in the local media last September I believe in which either Sternberg or team president Matt Silverman suggested that the Rays are open to all possibilities for location name when they do their re-branding. This included "Florida Rays". They all but ruled out naming them the "St. Petersburg Rays" because they wanted their focus to get larger. However Florida Rays was still not likely.

Quite frankly, I don't think they will change their location name at all. Being a St. Pete homer, I'd love to see "Tampa Bay Devil Rays of St. Petersburg" as the new name, but considering the rest of the area's teams are just "Tampa Bay", that will suffice and I have no problem with it.

He might want to think about acquiring good players, not selling off prospects nor penny pinching.

He might want to think about acquiring good players, not selling off prospects nor penny pinching.

It wasn't Stu that sold off our prospects in the past, he's only been around a year and a half. Give him the rest of this season, I have a feeling something may occur this upcoming offseason.

A name change (which I assume would have to occur after the 2008 season) would be a great time for the Marlins to make some uniform tweaks. This is probably the best Marlins set I've seen. I don't remember whose concept it was, so please come take credit for it.

miamimarlinsuh1.png

I believe Mark Anthony did those. He is the one who created fonts from the actual jersey script for every MLB team (and helped me with my unsuccessful bid to create the 2009 MLB ASG logos, but I digress).

As for the name...with Tampa Bay reaching out to all of central Florida (notably games in Orlando) and moving Spring Training operations to Port Charlotte, I think they are better suited for a "Florida" moniker. Especially considering the fine people of St. Pete despise Tampa getting the credit for the team's home base.

Was that ever released? If so, please provide a link. I heard them talked about but thought they were never finished.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

miamimarlinsuh1.png

Was that ever released? If so, please provide a link. I heard them talked about but thought they were never finished.

No, he never released them...and he shouldn't. That is a very valuable application he created.

Cards.png

I'm not a big fan of state names either. And, especially dislike names that aren't from the city the team plays in (ie. New York Jets, Giants, Dallas Cowboys, Detriot Pistons, etc.)

We've been over this before - the Jets and Giants play in New York City's suburbs. No reason they can't claim the city name.

I like those Marlins concepts, especially the return of prominent teal, but aside from the Miami script, I think the team has used all of those logos.

And as other have stated, the deal to adopt "Miami" as the name has been around for years. I think it's a given that if the new stadium lands in Miami, they'll take that name.

The Homestead plan seemed like more of a snag than a help to get a stadium in Miami. They don't want to leave Jupiter. Personally, as someone who's lived down there, I think they should build at Pompano Park or the current Orioles spring facility. The location seems much better and I can't imagine they'd lose all of their corporate money when that money will be put in front of more fans from three counties. But maybe that's just me.

I'm not a big fan of state names either. And, especially dislike names that aren't from the city the team plays in (ie. New York Jets, Giants, Dallas Cowboys, Detriot Pistons, etc.)

We've been over this before - the Jets and Giants play in New York City's suburbs. No reason they can't claim the city name.

Even though the two teams right across the parking lot in the Meadowlands are the New Jersey Nets (soon to be Brooklyn) and New Jersey Devils (to play in Trenton next year)

And Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Anaheim is a good 40 miles from LA. I would know. Its usually about an hour's drive without factoring in the various traffic.

I wouldve taken OC Angels, reverting back to California Angels (though there are 5 teams in California), or sticking with Anaheim.

Also whats up with the Tampa Bay D-Rays playing in St. Pete and the Tampa Bay Lightning playing in the St.Pete Times Forum (I know theyre still situated on the Tampa Bay water but still)

And the Golden State thing bothers me. Thats just ridiculous in my opinion. Until about 3 years ago I had no idea where the Golden State Warriors played (Im 17 btw) There is already the Sacramento Kings, then LA Lakers and Clippers in California. San Francisco or Oakland Warriors sounds just fine. Heck, I'd take Bay Area Warriors or Bay Warriors.

I'm fine with Texas Rangers because it makes sense because that actually existed. Colorado (Rockies, Avalanche) is good too because Denver is isolated so theyre extending out. but then again Colorado Broncos doesnt work with me.

One that does bug me

New England Patriots. I know that they have fans all up in that area. If thats the case why not NE Red Sox, NE Bruins, NE Celtics. I know they play out of the way in Foxborough. And it works for history's sake, but thats like calling any new york/philly/new jersey team the Tri-State whatever or the Tri-Cities whatever.

I wouldnt also mind that the Washington, D.C. teams were called DC whatever, like the DC United. I also thought the Redskins were in Washington state for a while.

Anyways. Long first post.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

One that does bug me

New England Patriots. I know that they have fans all up in that area. If thats the case why not NE Red Sox, NE Bruins, NE Celtics. I know they play out of the way in Foxborough. And it works for history's sake, but thats like calling any new york/philly/new jersey team the Tri-State whatever or the Tri-Cities whatever.

They were the Boston Patriots until '71. I believe they changed it so they could appeal to a wider audience.

Now back to the Marlins.... ;)

Quick question, there was the International League's Miami Marlins ('56-'60) and the Fort Myers Miracle also went by the Miami Marlins.

I guess rights are not an issue, due to 2 teams already using the combination?

Also whats up with the Tampa Bay D-Rays playing in St. Pete and the Tampa Bay Lightning playing in the St.Pete Times Forum (I know theyre still situated on the Tampa Bay water but still)

In those cases, along with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the words "Tampa Bay" refer to the general area of Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Clearwater, along with several other smaller cities within the region, not the body of water.

The Tampa Bay Lightning play in the St. Pete Times Forum, which is located in the city of Tampa. The naming rights to the former Ice Palace were sold to the St. Petersburg Times, the largest newspaper in Florida.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Even though the two teams right across the parking lot in the Meadowlands are the New Jersey Nets (soon to be Brooklyn) and New Jersey Devils (to play in Trenton next year)

New Jersey Devils are playing in Newark next year not Trenton

Archived