Rookie Designer

Icebreaker

I bet you could print off some of the raster templates so he can use them. I bet discrim's templates would be almost perfect for him.

Can you point me to the templates you would suggest? I can't seem to find them.

He asked me at bedtime to "ask the real designers if there was a city that needed a team" for him to work on tomorrow.

See what he can come up with for Ann Arbor, MI. Rules: No maize or blue, and no wolverines allowed! (Nothing against UofM, it's just way overused here).

Your little guy has inspired me, I think I might go back to my roots and hand draw a few concepts I've had in mind!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, it's good to see he's really into it but tell him to take a break and play outside or something of the sort for a day. It'll let the ideas grow and accumulate as well as get some "artistic" rest. I often tend to notice if I keep on pounding out constantly, the attention to detail suffers and frustration is limitless...

I bet you could print off some of the raster templates so he can use them. I bet discrim's templates would be almost perfect for him.

Can you point me to the templates you would suggest? I can't seem to find them.

He asked me at bedtime to "ask the real designers if there was a city that needed a team" for him to work on tomorrow.

Hamilton, ON. :P

i love this thread. reminds me of me as a kid, too. :)

i love the boston uniforms, and the new beaver logo is greatness.

if he's wanting requests, i'd like to see what he can come up with for dallas. :)

Noticed he added a t in shoulder on the last one, no biggy, he's more talented than I am at 18! That last one for the Beavers is absolutely brilliant! And don't get me started on the one for the Boston Goblins, great name and great colors, not to mention the sleeves are sweet.

Can't wait to see some more of his work! I'd like to see some other sports too. I bet you could print off some of the raster templates so he can use them. I bet discrim's templates would be almost perfect for him.

Umm pretty sure that's a 7...

I know... I'm 18, I was saying he's more talented than I am, and I'm 18.

Anyway, print this out and see how he likes it:

kids_temp.png

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Great job 'smallish bear' -

I really like the Wizards jersey, especially #2.

The use of the LLs on the Bulls snorting smoke is a unique idea.

I love the name Boston Goblins - very creative.

I know, that I am looking forward to some more of your jerseys.

Keep posting them kid - good stuff!!!

KCScout76

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Noticed he added a t in shoulder on the last one, no biggy, he's more talented than I am at 18! That last one for the Beavers is absolutely brilliant! And don't get me started on the one for the Boston Goblins, great name and great colors, not to mention the sleeves are sweet.

Can't wait to see some more of his work! I'd like to see some other sports too. I bet you could print off some of the raster templates so he can use them. I bet discrim's templates would be almost perfect for him.

Umm pretty sure that's a 7...

I know... I'm 18, I was saying he's more talented than I am, and I'm 18.

Anyway, print this out and see how he likes it:

kids_temp.png

I am going to use that template! It's paint friendly, O RITE!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

He's settled on a name for an Ann Arbor team. We happen to live on a street with "Arbor" in it, so he had an idea what it might mean. After a couple days of play dates Wednesday and Thursday, I expect he'll be back at his desk putting prismacolor to paper today.

• 7 months later...
Reminds me of myself when I was a kid. Infact, at seven he's better than me at that age. Although, I was drawing Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles, but I still created stuff for my sport teams that I created.

Very talented kid you have there.

Yeah, I was like that too. I used to have this collection of beanie babies. I would have an organized hockey league that I would sort of regulate, but the best part wasn't playing, it was designing the jerseys. So that is how I got my start. I kept all of my designs. They were always the same teams, but it evolved from crayons to colored pencils. Looking back, I can see the development of me drawing these jerseys when I was about 8 to when I was about 12. Then I discovered photoshop. Then I discovered illustrator. And then I discovered this website.

So, big icebreaker, your son has already discovered my last step. And I'm sure that in about 5 years he will have his own account here and will be making jerseys on the computer. But my point is, keep these hand drawn jerseys because it will eventually be fun to look back. You can already see progress in the cleanliness of jersey 1 to the latest update.

If he's drawing anything, it's hockey jerseys and logos.

If he has a pencil in his hand and he's not drawing or doing homework, he's recording stats from his imaginary hockey leagues he plays in the hallway with a plywood cutout goalie up against the laundry room door.

The boy has a one track mind (in the good way).

Thanks everyone for your constructive feedback. He has been hesitant to submit anything because he was away from the forum for so long. Your comments have stirred him up again.

These are great, Icebreaker. It takes me back to when I'd buy large pads of newsprint and just drew players and logos I liked (and Scotty Pippen always being the victim of a dunk :D ). One of the things that really stands out to me is the use of color. Whether he knows it or not, your son has tremendous understanding of color combinations. Hell, I'm a senior in college, and I've seen my share of projects from college kids that simply don't demonstrate any sort of knowledge of how colors work. The uniforms themselves are impressive as well, as none of them simply follow a current NHL team's pattern, recolored for convenience. Heck, concepts on this board do that all the time.

I'm assuming you're saving all of these for him, correct?

Archived