vikings return to old helmets?

smith03

Teams wore gray facemasks in the past not because they looked good, but because they couldn't wear anything else. I'm like this: If it is NOW POSSIBLE for you to improve your look by deleting gray (which isn't even in the Cardinals, Colts, or Browns color scheme), then do so. Don't be backwards just because you can, because it's stupid, IMO.

Just because gray isn't a part of your color scheme, does not mean it isn't a part of your "look." Black is not an official Colts color, but black shoes are representative of a very successful era in Colts football. The gray facemask is a part of it too.

Johnny-Unitas--C10108569.jpeg

I think Reebok's inability to get the shoulder stripes to go all the way around the shoulders looks worse than a gray facemask ever could.

d75504colts-peyton_manning-r-130p.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were the Vikings pants the same each year they wore them? Maybe they did a '68 Saints, inexplicably reversing their helmet/pants stripes for some length of time (the last 12 games of 1968) then returning to the original black-white-black. :blink:

saints1969mgwBw.jpg

I still love that shade of gold and the gold-on-white numbers. Wish they'd go back to both.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

"""The proper response would have been: "I apologize for being so pompous in my earlier post, as I was obviously mistaken about the color combination of the pant stripes that I so expertly spoke about.""""

Well, OK, if it makes you happy. I wasn't particularly shooting for "pompous" in my original post, but I do bow to any Packer fan as an absolute authourity on pompousity. :D<--- maybe if I had a few more of those sprinkled in, my tone would be clearer?

I love gray facemasks.

All helmets should be that way.

Why?

Because it looks good on any helmet.

Helmets with colored facemaks can be ruined if the right combo is not used.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

saints1969mgwBw.jpg

I still love that shade of gold and the gold-on-white numbers. Wish they'd go back to both.

Me, too. I love the gold numbers.

I've posted this one before, but I still think these are the best uniforms the Saints have ever had, even if they never actually made them onto the field:

0814_large.jpg

"""The proper response would have been: "I apologize for being so pompous in my earlier post, as I was obviously mistaken about the color combination of the pant stripes that I so expertly spoke about.""""

Well, OK, if it makes you happy. I wasn't particularly shooting for "pompous" in my original post, but I do bow to any Packer fan as an absolute authourity on pompousity. :D<--- maybe if I had a few more of those sprinkled in, my tone would be clearer?

**ZING** That got me chuckling!

Back on topic - can you post any of those photos? That might make it easier to figure out what happened. As you can tell, I didn't really have a photo of the Vikings, they just happened to be on a Packer yearbook :D

It's where I sit.

Ah, good... we're all friendly again. That makes me happy. ^_^

I could provide some of those photos, except from desktop receintly exploded, so Im checking in on the lam... you know, friends comps, library... so on. Sucks, as some of you probably know. I was hoping someone else would help me out with my suddenly plunging credability on the vikings-pants issue. Anybody? I have a great photo of Fran Tarkenton wearing purple pants with the white/gold/white stripe (man, that makes me sound weird!), but no way to get it on here right now.

I love gray facemasks.

Why?

See, and here's my thing. When a team is wearing mismatched (re: gray) masks, that's all I see. I can't get past it; like some sort of OCD or something.

IMO - all facemasks should be darker - no mask should be in a lighter color than the helmet color. For example, a team with a Black helmet should never have a Red mask; they should wear a Black one.

So obviously, I'm weird that way.

^_^

Ah, good... we're all friendly again. That makes me happy. ^_^

I could provide some of those photos, except from desktop receintly exploded, so Im checking in on the lam... you know, friends comps, library... so on. Sucks, as some of you probably know. I was hoping someone else would help me out with my suddenly plunging credability on the vikings-pants issue. Anybody? I have a great photo of Fran Tarkenton wearing purple pants with the white/gold/white stripe (man, that makes me sound weird!), but no way to get it on here right now.

And I've seen pics of Jim Marshall wearing the Purple pants with the White/Gold/White as well. I'll look for photos too.

Here (looks pretty much gold-white-gold to me):

1963Yearbook.jpg

I can't help you with Viking uniforms, but I just love that it takes four of 'em to bring Jim Taylor down. :D

That picture's likely taking place behind the line of scrimmage. B)

Back on topic, has anybody seen word of them selling the Sept. 30 throwback jerseys? I don't care to spend a fortune on a Michell & Ness throwback, and I can't stomach buying the modern Vikes jerseys, so I'm hoping they sell a modestly priced version of the one-off throwback jerseys.

Here's to hopin'.

I love gray facemasks.

Why?

Then use the right combo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1963Yearbook.jpg

I can't help you with Viking uniforms, but I just love that it takes four of 'em to bring Jim Taylor down. :D

Back on topic, has anybody seen word of them selling the Sept. 30 throwback jerseys? I don't care to spend a fortune on a Michell & Ness throwback, and I can't stomach buying the modern Vikes jerseys, so I'm hoping they sell a modestly priced version of the one-off throwback jerseys.

Here's to hopin'.

On nfl.com they are selling the throwback jerseys (listed as the alternate), and the jerseys look really good. They are $80 for replicas (just $5 more than the home and road). They it available for 4 or 5 players available. Hope you find something you like.

Vikings Throwbacks

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

1963Yearbook.jpg

Here's to hopin'.

On nfl.com they are selling the throwback jerseys (listed as the alternate), and the jerseys look really good. They are $80 for replicas (just $5 more than the home and road). They it available for 4 or 5 players available. Hope you find something you like.

Vikings Throwbacks

Hey, thanks man. I appreciate it. I've been looking on the Vikings site. Stupidly, I hadn't thought of NFL.com.

I love gray facemasks.

Why?

Why do that when gray facemasks look good on all helmets?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I love gray facemasks.

Why?

Why do that when gray facemasks look good on all helmets?

I wouldn't go as far as all...maybe just keep it as Cowboys, Raiders... :P

If someone had the time, I'd like to see all photoshopped with gray side by side the colored verison...I'd like to see it gray/normal with a whole uniform shot too. You know, because the colored mask makes them pop with the uni.

KISSwall09.jpg

I don't think grey masks are the better choice all the time, but given the look of the uniform(modern, throwback, etc.) they look nice. in response to pantone, i mostly agree. light masks on dark helmets look bush league. some royal blue chargers fans may disagree. i think i remember reading somewhere that players, especially recievers prefer them, saying that colors draw the eye towards the mask. there...imay have made that up, but if the players like them, what can you do?

Teams wore gray facemasks in the past not because they looked good, but because they couldn't wear anything else. I'm like this: If it is NOW POSSIBLE for you to improve your look by deleting gray (which isn't even in the Cardinals, Colts, or Browns color scheme), then do so. Don't be backwards just because you can, because it's stupid, IMO.

Just because gray isn't a part of your color scheme, does not mean it isn't a part of your "look." Black is not an official Colts color, but black shoes are representative of a very successful era in Colts football. The gray facemask is a part of it too.

Johnny-Unitas--C10108569.jpeg

I think Reebok's inability to get the shoulder stripes to go all the way around the shoulders looks worse than a gray facemask ever could.

d75504colts-peyton_manning-r-130p.jpg

While I will agree about the stripes, your comment about grey and black has no merit. All teams at that time had grey facemasks and black shoes.

wwwaufderaxemo2.jpg

I only come around here once in a while to annoy you people, and by people I mean you mutha :censored:as.

While I will agree about the stripes, your comment about grey and black has no merit. All teams at that time had grey facemasks and black shoes.

Yes, all teams in the 1960s did have gray facemask and black shoes, but not all teams still have that same uniform design today. Teams like the Colts, Packers, Browns, etc. could get away with a gray facemask, because it is a part of their look from years ago. If the Falcons slapped a gray facemask on their current helmet, it would just be bizzare.

Archived