2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

The only Canadian team with a stupid name, fine by me, i hate the Ottawa Senators...if they had a good name i'd acknowledge it, but the logo and name is a stretch.

Apparently Ottawa thinks it has a history that no one else knows about.

Apparently Vancouver thinks it has a history that no one else knows about.

That had to be the WORST come back ever. It was not funny nor sarcastic. It just came across as stupid. Honestly, Vancouver does have much more of a history than Ottawa does. Maybe being two decades older may mean something, who knows. I mean, not a lot of events happen within two decades, right?

Those Canuck's screen shots are modded jerseys on our favourite over-used template, the ALL-STAR template!!! Although it is quite nice looking, I can see the final jersey being close in appearence to it with stick n' rinks on the shoulders and a re-coloured whale on the front like that. Otherwise, the jersey template most likely won't resemble that. I think this may be one of the more potentially accurate concepts posted on the board.

Good to know some people pay attention to things...good stuff Neon Matrix.

I understand the whole Senators thing with the Parliament and the capital city bit, but adopting the whole Greek/Roman bit was just a touch of the lame to me.

How does Ottawa justify using a "Roman Legionary" as their logo? Yes, that's the official description of it.

Listen, I don't like the logo either.

There isn't one canadian team out there that has a nice logo.

Montreal? Edmonton? Calgary? Toronto?

What the hell are you on?

I actually have to agree with him to a point. I like Calgary (and their logo) and I despise Toronto (but I like their logo as well)... as for the rest, well... as I said, I agree, they're not good.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only Canadian team with a stupid name, fine by me, i hate the Ottawa Senators...if they had a good name i'd acknowledge it, but the logo and name is a stretch.

Apparently Ottawa thinks it has a history that no one else knows about.

Apparently Vancouver thinks it has a history that no one else knows about.

That had to be the WORST come back ever. It was not funny nor sarcastic. It just came across as stupid. Honestly, Vancouver does have much more of a history than Ottawa does. Maybe being two decades older may mean something, who knows. I mean, not a lot of events happen within two decades, right?

Those Canuck's screen shots are modded jerseys on our favourite over-used template, the ALL-STAR template!!! Although it is quite nice looking, I can see the final jersey being close in appearence to it with stick n' rinks on the shoulders and a re-coloured whale on the front like that. Otherwise, the jersey template most likely won't resemble that. I think this may be one of the more potentially accurate concepts posted on the board.

Good to know some people pay attention to things...good stuff Neon Matrix.

I understand the whole Senators thing with the Parliament and the capital city bit, but adopting the whole Greek/Roman bit was just a touch of the lame to me.

How does Ottawa justify using a "Roman Legionary" as their logo? Yes, that's the official description of it.

Listen, I don't like the logo either.

There isn't one canadian team out there that has a nice logo.

Montreal Canadiens - classic logo, when you see it, you can sense the great history behind it...the logo has been the same (concept i mean) for decades...

Toronto Maple Leafs - The descriptive leaf logo (my fav) and the current one are nice, hard to argue against when it's in our flag as well.

Edmonton Oilers - The logo is solid, i like it, i own an oldschool oilers jersey with the logo...plenty of people like it, i can't find many that hate it, aside from disliking the team because of a rivlary...It's a drop of oil above Oilers, name is represented quite nicely.

Vancouver Canucks - while i hate the orca, the logo is designed quite nicely...

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

I dunno... I disagree.

I mean I like those logos because they mean something, but they're not aesthetically pleasing. They are storied logos, but nice? Not really.

The Flames logo is ok.

But take the Habs for example (which is a team I like). It's just a CH. Now you could never change it because it means the world to the fans, but it's still just 2 letters.

Leafs- that logo is significant but it's from another era. It's pretty tame by today's standards.

Oilers- I personally don't like it. It's outdated in my opinion. But, once again, it's what's hanging from the rafters on the Stanley Cup banners, so they should never change it.

See, by that logic, we should bring back the big O with the barber pole stripes. It's not a good jersey, but it means something.

I wouldn't necessarily be against that.

thecatch.jpg

I dunno... I disagree.

I mean I like those logos because they mean something, but they're not aesthetically pleasing. They are storied logos, but nice? Not really.

The Flames logo is ok.

But take the Habs for example (which is a team I like). It's just a CH. Now you could never change it because it means the world to the fans, but it's still just 2 letters.

Leafs- that logo is significant but it's from another era. It's pretty tame by today's standards.

Oilers- I personally don't like it. It's outdated in my opinion. But, once again, it's what's hanging from the rafters on the Stanley Cup banners, so they should never change it.

See, by that logic, we should bring back the big O with the barber pole stripes. It's not a good jersey, but it means something.

I wouldn't necessarily be against that.

The Barber Pole is AWESOME! It is such a unique look and is very pleasing. The 67's look great when wearing them.

And by the way, YOU (aka the Sens) couldn't "bring it back" because they never wore them.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The Senators franchise today and the Senators Franchise of old are seen as two different Franchises, it's not a continuation, not even in the HHOF.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

The Senators franchise today and the Senators Franchise of old are seen as two different Franchises, it's not a continuation, not even in the HHOF.

The NHL record books sometimes like to say differently which pisses me off like nothing else.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Ottawa Silver Seven - They wore the barber pole.

a091046-v5.jpg

1905Ottawasilverseven.JPG

Senators, i don't think so (unless someone can provide some proof via pictures AND text).

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Team got bought out by the league and became a St.L franchise. Apparently Toronto and Montreal weren't hindered by the great depression, but the first "dynasty" was...odd.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Dude, Montreal & Toronto were and still remain much bigger cities.

In those 2 cities, they were still alot of very rich men who could still afford to go to the games. Not in Ottawa, except for a few elite bureaucrats.

As a result, Ottawa ticket prices were extremely high for the time. Fans stopped going to see the NHL and started buying tickets to amateur hockey games instead.

Sad story, really.

And that is a bit of local history for you. ;)

thecatch.jpg

Dude, Montreal & Toronto were and still remain much bigger cities.

In those 2 cities, they were still alot of very rich men who could still afford to go to the games. Not in Ottawa, except for a few elite bureaucrats.

As a result, Ottawa ticket prices were extremely high for the time. Fans stopped going to see the NHL and started buying tickets to amateur hockey games instead.

Sad story, really.

And that is a bit of local history for you. ;)

Here is some history for you on behalf of hockey historian John Chi-Kit Wong's book "Lords of the Rinks".

Page 121.

"Since the revenue structure of the NHL favoured the home club, clubs that could not generate enough interest at home, either because of a small market size, poor management, or unfavourable rink lease, faltered without some help from the league. The demise of the Ottawa franchise provided such an example."

On page 122, he describes Ottawa as being a "small market team" which could not compete with "increased player and travel costs in the expanded NHL." He goes on to say that the Depression was not the reason for their demise but it did not help their situation. On page 123, he mentions that Ottawa's revenues began to decline in 1927-28, the year right after their final Stanley Cup win. "At the end of the 1926-27 season, Ottawa had the fourth lowest attendance, even though it had won the Stanley Cup." Combined with cheapest ticket prices in the league and a successful team, it is hard to understand how this team had a problem attracting fans.

I believe what I have presented in a quick summary kind of proves that you don't know much about the history of your team. Yes they were in a small market but Toronto was also considered the second smallest in the NHL, which, kind of says something about Canada at the time. Cheap ticket prices and a Stanley Cup winning team should not have resulted in declining attendance, instead it should have resulted in more. So you can't blame the depression on their downfall, you can blame the people who lived in the Ottawa valley who didn't care about the sport, especially for a team who had no competiton from another professional team within its city. Believe what you want, the depression was not the catalyst for their demise but it did not help its situation much either.

Take that getting info from a non Wikipedia source!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

You're right... I suck. :rolleyes:

What can I say, I have a lot of time on my hands tonight and I used it to teach you a little something about the team you claim to know so much about. I mean, according to you they represent the Senators who preside in our governments upper house and as a result, represent Ottawa, Canada's capital. You can now brag to your friends with correct information as to why the original Ottawa Senators moved to St. Louis. What can I say, it was an interesting book.

No need to thank me.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Dude when I first had come to these boards I brought up that arguement all the time but Neon definiteley know's his stuff, better than I did then and possibly know. You can't fight the fact that the logo is a little bit of a stretch, (which I do have a point about that I'll say later) you can't fight that it's two different franchises, they only put up the banners to give Ottawa some weird sense of morale and IMO I wish they never had. Vancouver has obviously had more history for christ's sake, they came into the league a good 20 years before we did. And yes the barberpole is good and all, but I wouldn't want the Sens to have all their set's as the barberpole, I like the gold, and the whole roman motif.

Now with that being said,

They chose the whole Roman motif for these reasons.

1- When coming up what they were going to call the new franchise it made sense to bring back the 'name' Senators, it could aattract the history buffs( Old people :P ) and it's a better name than any of the other team names I can think of for Ottawa.

2- No one wants a team that is actually based on the current definition of Senator, so they chose the next best thing, which is the Roman Senator, then that was also not the greatest depiction for a hockey team, so they based the logo on a Roman Centurion.

So I don't think people should bitch about the name being such a stretch from the real thing, all the time, because (A) Senator is a good, classic, sports team's name. And (B) No one wants a pansy logo, the coolest you can make it with at least one significant trait to the name.

So Senator Jake, it pains me to rag on a fellow sens fan, but it pains me more when a Sens fan is tainting our rep to other fans by not knowing what they talk about...

Oh and I'll be attending the unveiling, I'll get the pics up as soon as I can but I live a good hour away from the Arena so chances are there will be some pics up before I get them up.

Hi, how are you?

VCX's big post

Actually, I was being sarcastic. I agree with your post completely, trying to sell a product to an audience on a national level, that the audience is not embrassing on a national level. Regionally it's doing well, markets are growing but it seems the NHL big wigs want it on a higher level very fast. One of the arguments presented in the 'why won't they put another team north of the border' is that they need national TV coverage in the US.

It's a whole huge argument for another thread. It's one that goes around and around all the time.

These Red Wings uniforms make me happy :D

Archived