2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

I'm only posting this because my friend at work says it every time he sees Ottawa's logo and you know what? he has a REALLY good point.....

All the logos for Ottawa do not show a "Senator", they show a "Centurion"

This has been argued about so many freaking times. Time to drop it. The teams been around with the same logos for over a decade now, their identity is what it is.

Awww, someone doesn't have a come back?

Just because an identity has been around for a decade means NOTHING - look at one of the other teams who has yet to win a Stanley Cup and they have changed their identity about 3 times in almost 4 decades and once after a decade - the Vancouver Canucks. I can also say that Columbus has also changed their identity somewhat in about a decade... from focusing on an insect to a full out civil war theme. So just because it has been over a decade that the Sens have had that look does not mean they can't change it now, which is what Vancouver illustrates. Therefore, your argument has no merrit and is thus a badly thought out comeback to a legitimate question. They could change, they can change, they just chose not to because they are afraid that change may scare away all the "fans" they picked up this spring.

Yes they could change. But why change for the sake of change? The identity looks good, is classic and is well...identifiable. The Sens did an awesome job updating the logos but sticking with the same basic identity. Something the Leafs have been doing since the NHL formed! The Senators were not going to change their logo just cuz technically it isn't a Senator, and if they did move completely away from their identity they have now alot of people would be upset because of the solid package the Sens have.

My main point to the original post was that everyone knows that it technically it is a Centurion but everyone has known that since the team came into the league and the argument has been rehashed countless times and everyone comes to the conclusion of who cares. The Sens have a nice classy package, that people can instantly identify and isn't that really what everyone wants in a logo?

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm only posting this because my friend at work says it every time he sees Ottawa's logo and you know what? he has a REALLY good point.....

This has been argued about so many freaking times. Time to drop it. The teams been around with the same logos for over a decade now, their identity is what it is.

Just because an identity has been around for a decade means NOTHING - look at one of the other teams who has yet to win a Stanley Cup and they have changed their identity about 3 times in almost 4 decades and once after a decade - the Vancouver Canucks. I can also say that Columbus has also changed their identity somewhat in about a decade... from focusing on an insect to a full out civil war theme. So just because it has been over a decade that the Sens have had that look does not mean they can't change it now, which is what Vancouver illustrates. Therefore, your argument has no merrit and is thus a badly thought out comeback to a legitimate question. They could change, they can change, they just chose not to because they are afraid that change may scare away all the "fans" they picked up this spring.

I disagree completely, I think if they wanted to they can change their complete identity, people would be upset yes but I doubt we would lose a substantial amount of fans for that to be a problem. Also the fans we got this spring if you can call them that are fans of the way we played in the playoffs, not because we had a ancient Roman themed logo.

Hi, how are you?

Every Canuck has a picture in the banner, what's your point?

They're all using the colour theme that's been supposedly 'leaked'.

No, those pictures have simply been greyscaled. Reload for another player, none of their jerseys have the NHL logo on it. It's simply a banner with pictures taken last season.

It's not like the players would have matching colours on their faces as well.

Wade-sig.png

Every Canuck has a picture in the banner, what's your point?

They're all using the colour theme that's been supposedly 'leaked'.

They've been doing that since they re-designed their site before the NHL template was introduced.

GCEeffm.png

Yes, but fans in Vancouver aren't in the same division as Montreal, Toronto & Boston, three of the most storied frachises in pro sport, let alone hockey. For Ottawa fans, we have to deal with arrogant Toronto fans like you teling us: "Your team has no history. They don't represent anything, unlike the Leafs."

So you know what Ottawa is gonna do? They're gonna build a history and a winning one at that. They're gonna keep the same look with that white faced centurion on their chest and it's gonna come to mean something. It's a better plan than what Vancouver did in changing logos every decade & a half.

thecatch.jpg

It's a pretty safe bet to say these are not going to be what the actual jerseys look like.

There, fixed that for you.

Dammit, I'm back in this thread. And it was Canucks that sucked me back in. Oh, bitter irony.

Well, it happens, right? Those Team 1040 hosts are always suckin' me in with these "We've found a leak of the new jersey's!" and I finally fell for it.

It looked legit to me, but eh, I'm not in the know with these things.

My biggest concern is that since they are keeping the Orca, I don't think it will look as good with different colors.

I'm going to go with this reasoning, why? Because i can damnit. The new group that bought the Canucks noticed that the fans loved the old school colours, so the first thing they did was push for more jersey time for those colours and got that. I think we even got fined for wearing them in the playoffs but we did anyway, just to prove how much fans and the team loved the colours and the jerseys.

But, if the Canucks were to take away the orca, the kids who love the Canucks won't get that demented whale to see jolting up and down the stairs at GM place, so they figure, let's go back to the old school colours, but hang on to the logo for a lil while longer...i say after this upcoming season, they make a bid to change the logo to something old or something new.

Well whatever, it makes me sleep at night.

Anyways, wasn't there a rule that teams can only change their logo after an x amount of years of having the current one? Unless the team was bought by a new ownership group or moved, then they were allowed to change it asap. But till that happens, teams are supposed to keep a logo for a certain amount of years before they are allowed to change, that goes for colour changes and etc? Like an application to the league to do so.

Of course, with the new jerseys and everyone getting an upgrade, somes didn't CHANGE their logo, but updated it, of course there are exceptions like the Capitals...but yeah...what gives?

I remember reading a while back that teams can't change their logo till they use the new one for a certain amount of years, i think the Penguins pigeon logo was not liked by the fans but they couldn't change back for a few years or something.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

the ottawa senators was taken out of the ring in the first place because it wasnt bilingual.... in french its senateurs d'ottawa...

The "Ottawa Senators" was removed beacuse all new teams must have a generic logo should they re-locate at a later date - hence if Hamilton had the Preds, or any other city

I remember reading a while back that teams can't change their logo till they use the new one for a certain amount of years, i think the Penguins pigeon logo was not liked by the fans but they couldn't change back for a few years or something.

Well, the Islanders dropped the Gorton's fisherman in mid-season to go back to the old logo but they had to keep the new "wavey" uni's (with the old logo pasted on them) for a whole extra season.

The "Ottawa Senators" was removed beacuse all new teams must have a generic logo should they re-locate at a later date - hence if Hamilton had the Preds, or any other city

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! That is the silliest thing I've heard on here in a while.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Can we all drop the insecure fan stuff now and limit this discussion to the logos and uniforms, please? I thought that was something we left on the other thread. You over there like one team, you on the other side like another team. Done.

The Senators' logo is perfect - it evokes the world of the nickname without having to be overly literal. Works great on a thematic level, and the new 3D rendering is outstanding.

As for Columbus, they didn't change their identity. They've always had a Civil War theme. That's where the nickname comes from. They unwisely diluted that theme with the bug (who was itself wearing a Civil War-ish uniform), giving rise to the misconception that it was an insect-themed name, perhaps a play on "yellowjackets". So they've sharpened their brand rather than changing it.

The new 2d Senator is great, but is too round for my taste. I loved how the old one had the "wings" on the back. I realize the new one looks more accurate, but I wish they could have done more to preserve the asymetrical nature of the logo. Also, I prefer the dot to be on the right side, as opposed to the bottom.

Off topic (but not as off topic as some have taken this thread): Could all you Sens, Leafs, and Canucks fans (and video gamers) who feel the need to tease each other and put-down each other's teams (or games) please shut the f up? Seriously, you're ruining this thread, and you sound like immature babies. Whether you realize it or not, each time you make one of these pointless posts, you lower your credibility on these boards.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have never been a big fan of the 3D logo or the idea of it, but both logos are big upgrades. I really like the new 2D logo, though it didn't need the red outline. I also like the wordmark shown on the promo for the unveiling of the new uniforms.

I saw, I came, I left.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! That is the silliest thing I've heard on here in a while.

Yeah, I agree with that. I've heard two stories about why it was removed. One has to do with the idea that after 3 or 4 years (whenever the change happened) they felt they didn't need the wordmark on the logo anymore to market the team outside the city as people by then could identify the logo with the Ottawa Senators. The second version is the one about bilingualism. Personally, I lend more credence to the first one but I can see where the second one might also have had some influence.

Can we all drop the insecure fan stuff now and limit this discussion to the logos and uniforms, please? I thought that was something we left on the other thread. You over there like one team, you on the other side like another team. Done.

The Senators' logo is perfect - it evokes the world of the nickname without having to be overly literal. Works great on a thematic level, and the new 3D rendering is outstanding.

That was a perfect response. Far too many people want design and logos to be exactly literal. I thought design was about evoking a theme and feeling. Who cares if it's not exactly literally correct?

So yes, can we please bury this argument somewhere? It's always the same people digging it up and then stomping on the grave some more.

Archived