United Nations of Baseball Map

pcgd

I would watch.

I just don't get why 4 teams are blacked-out here, but we only see Mets (SNY) and Yankee (YES) games. Even if I order Extra Innings I could not see Indians or Pirate games. There is no way to watch them here. That is ridiculous.

The Mets on SNY, Yankees on YES, Indians on STO, and Pirates on FSN Pittsburgh would all be available to you free and clear if your provider offered the channels. The issue is you cable company only seems to offer YES and SNY. Dish Network offers SNY, STO, and FSN Pittsburgh in that area. DirecTV offers YES, SNY, and FSN Pittsburgh in the area.

See the problem? It isn't MLB's blackout rules, it is the television channels and the cable/satellite companies.

Mets, Yankees, and Indians all have OTA packages that air on WNGS: http://www.wkbw.com/programming/rtn11/rtn_baseball

The Pirates are exclusive to FSN Pittsburgh, hence the reason no OTA station in Buffalo (or Pittsburgh) can air their games.

Yea, I know it is part Time Warner's fault, part MLB's. Not that I want to watch the Indians or anything, but If I was a Indians fan I would be pissed. If the only way to watch them was to pay for the Dish, and a higher echelon on their lineup.

Oh..The WNGS station only airs Yankee, Mets, and Indians games on their (CLE, NY) OTA station, so only ~2 games a month are broadcast for each team on WNGS

saBS.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's territory is a little to small IMO. It's really tricky to determine now with the nats in town. Alot of people jumped to the gnats because they can't take the losing. But I still don't think the O's would have less territory than the gnats. I've gone to the Outer Banks in NC for many years and they have always had the Orioles on TV. Now they have the new MASN station(s) as well, so they get Nats games too (I understand that some other areas of VA and NC also get MASN).

It would be really cool if Nike did a poll in different areas asking random fans what their favorite team is (maybe in stores that sell their product). And then make a more accurrate map.

I don't think so. I think that Braves, Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox fans would kind of ruin that idea because they have such large fanbases all over the country.

IUe6Hvh.png

The O's territory is a little to small IMO. It's really tricky to determine now with the nats in town. Alot of people jumped to the gnats because they can't take the losing.

And the Nats are winning???

Against the Orioles, yes.

For the record though, I do think that the map is a little generous toward Nats Nation, but the lines are really hard to draw between O's and the Nats. There are many O's fans in Washington and there are many Nats fans in Baltimore so it's hard to differentiate.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

The O's territory is a little to small IMO. It's really tricky to determine now with the nats in town. Alot of people jumped to the gnats because they can't take the losing. But I still don't think the O's would have less territory than the gnats. I've gone to the Outer Banks in NC for many years and they have always had the Orioles on TV. Now they have the new MASN station(s) as well, so they get Nats games too (I understand that some other areas of VA and NC also get MASN).

It would be really cool if Nike did a poll in different areas asking random fans what their favorite team is (maybe in stores that sell their product). And then make a more accurrate map.

I don't think so. I think that Braves, Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox fans would kind of ruin that idea because they have such large fanbases all over the country.

As long as they avoided asking anyone wearing a pink hat they should still be accurate... ;)

Ah yes... and they also have large fanbases out of North America... I'm living in Argentina and I root for the Red Sox since 1993.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Speaking about the map... I like alots it... but I'm wondering about the size of the Giants' fandom... I thought that there are more Giants fans on the middle of California... no?

If someone have the jpg of this map in its whole and it's clean for watching, I'd like to have it. Thank you!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

it looks like my county is split between the O's and the Nats, im a Nats fan because i identify with DC teams more because im closer to DC than i am Baltimore, but i live in MD so it would make sense if i rooted for Baltimore teams. ive been a Redskins fan all my life, never became attached to the Ravens at all, i was an O's fan for a long time until the idea popped up about a DC baseball team and Angelos attempted to screw DC out of the team and failed, thats when i jumped ship. i pray for the day Cal Ripken buys the O's and i will root for them again as my AL team.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

As long as they avoided asking anyone wearing a pink hat they should still be accurate... ;)

Without a doubt. I'd think the 'Red Sox Nation' would become quite a bit smaller if they kicked the pink hatters out and that'd sure as hell be fine by me.

I can't speak for the other teams fanbases but I hated seeing people sporting the Red Sox apparel because it became fashionable once they won.

IUe6Hvh.png

Without a doubt. I'd think the 'Red Sox Nation' would become quite a bit smaller if they kicked the pink hatters out and that'd sure as hell be fine by me.

I can't speak for the other teams fanbases but I hated seeing people sporting the Red Sox apparel because it became fashionable once they won.

its like that for anybody that wins. when the yanks were winning world series, everybody i could think of was wearing yankees stuff even though they may not even be yankees fan but was fashionable to wear the stuff.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Sounds like people are in the Nats camp strictly because of Peter Angelos. When he finally lets go of that team, i'm sure the fanbase will return. Besides, it's not like the Nats have talent or history going for them - and they look just as rudderless.

its like that for anybody that wins. when the yanks were winning world series, everybody i could think of was wearing yankees stuff even though they may not even be yankees fan but was fashionable to wear the stuff.

Sometimes that's the case. I think that was with the Red Sox but not always. Cubs have a big following outside of Chicago and its a lot of Pink Hatters, but a big part of it was WGN. Also, come on...can you imagine the party when they win it all?!

Braves have a big following thanks to TBS. The Yankees have always had the Pink Hatters even before the 90s championships.

Just so I'm not ripping on teams I'm not a fan of...the Bears have alot of Pink Hatters in Chicago recently. Same with the Cardinals within St. Louis, at least until this year. Its not as bad when its within the home city, but its still annoying.

What is a Pink Hatter? Is it a bandwagon fan, right?

Not really a bandwagon fan necessarily...but pretty close...

Pink hatters (or pink hats) are the girls that are fans of the team just because its cool or popular to be a fan of said team. You can tell who they are by their Pink hat, pink jersey, or having a favorite player because he's "so hot". This could be extended to guys with the green Red Sox hats, red yankees hats, logos all over hats, etc. (but not all)

Not to be confused with the girl/guy that is a fan of the team because her boyfriend/girlfriend is. Many times these fans do mean well, and may own a pink hat or jersey, but they care about the team because they care about someone else. Not because they care about what they look like.

After viewing this, I went looking for my SI Sports Atlas Edition with Shaq on the cover holding up the globe. They have some killer maps in there as far as origins of players, HOF inductees, team movements, etc. I come to find the fiance discarded it. If anyone knows where the graphics reside or would be willing to scan in the pages, I'd be most appreciative.

I found a few examples:

MLB_Franchises.jpg

Olympic_Athletes.jpg

What is a Pink Hatter? Is it a bandwagon fan, right?

Not really a bandwagon fan necessarily...but pretty close...

Pink hatters (or pink hats) are the girls that are fans of the team just because its cool or popular to be a fan of said team. You can tell who they are by their Pink hat, pink jersey, or having a favorite player because he's "so hot".

So theyre basically the baseball version of a "Puck Bunny"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puck_bunny

oBIgzrL.png

area wise, seattle should have the largest fanbase region, it would have to include Washington, Most of Oregon, Most of Idaho, Most of Montana, some of British Columbia, and All of Alaska.

I would argue the Jays have the largest fanbase region. Most of Canada is alot more that the Pacific Northwest.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived