Syracuse Orange New Helmets

MrOrangeman

And F Illinois. I don't know who had the look first, but I'm assuming SU did. Illinois also ripped off the Giants for that set. And they're clearly horrendous now.

'Cuse had it first. Illinois, for a few years, had a plain, solid navy jersey with white numbers, and that was it. They had that style of pants and helmet for a good 15-20 years, though, before shifting to the current crapulence.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's rare that I go old-school over anything, in my estimation, but I really don't see what's wrong with putting white numbers on dark jerseys and dark numbers on white jerseys. Trim them, shadow them, fluff them up as you see fit...but white-on-dar and dark-on-white, please.

The white piping on the numbers in the pic above make it a little more readable, I suppose, but I see that whole step as unnecessary. Simply making the numbers white would mean no need for piping (though I'm sure they'd wind up trimmed or drop-shadowed in orange, more than likely). The piping looks forced on this set, IMHO.

And the orange-on-navy? To me, it just looks...unfinished. There's something about it that doesn't look polished and professional...more like the designer just ran out of time or wanted to veer away from convention. I know the colors don't "clash," but it annoys me about as much as Clemson's occasional "let's mix purple and orange in ways that hurt the eyes" forays. Sometimes, simple and clean is just the way to go.

In other news...I'm one post away from number 100. Wow, I'm impressed...though it's only taken me two whole years to get there, apparently. Is tenure on the boards what makes one an "Advanced Member?" (Because I don't remember doing anything special to earn it otherwise, lol)

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

In every application of this new department-wide look, the untrimmed-blue-on-orange has not worked. (exhibit A being the men's basketball road jerseys)

Orange-on-blue isn't quite as bad but you won't know that's an S on the helmet if you're watching on TV.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Mapquest says it is 247 miles (4 hrs., 13 minutes driving time) from Syracuse to New York City. It is only 236 miles (4 hrs., 4 minutes driving time) from State College, PA to New York City. Maybe the Nittany Lions should try to stake a claim to being New York's College Team and put a picture of the Statue of Liberty on their website.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

:D

Well, I don't mind them using the Statue - Liberty Island is in New York State, after all - only calling themselves NYC's team.

The banner on the website is intentionally vague. It only says "New York's College Team", without saying "City". However, the only pictures are of Syracuse players, the Carrier Dome, the Statue of Liberty and the New York City skyline.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

What's with them sticking a New York decal on the helmet? I go to the website, and they're trying to brand themselves as "New York's College Team". There's even a big picture of the Statue of Liberty on the top of the page. I think they're trying a little too hard to secure the NYC market here, especially since they're not even in that part of the state. Who's going to challenge them? Buffalo? Rutgers?

As a NYC native, I would tend to agree. Syracuse has ads in Times Square proclaiming themself the city's college team. I just don't buy it.

Rutgers is in the NYC suburbs - it has a legitimate claim on the market. Which is why the Big Ten is considering adding them to the conference.

See, as a native of NY, but NOT the city, I would never take "New York's College Team" to mean the city. I'd assume it meant the state, because, frankly, Syracuse IS New York State's biggest-name college athletic program. Using images of NYC seems, to me, to be just that those are the iconic images of NY state. Might have been a little classier to throw a Niagara Falls picture in there too, which is the usual procedure when showing pictures of "New York State." You get a statue of liberty, maybe a manhattan, a niagara falls... and then some nameless little Adirondack nature setting. Boom... NY state collage.

I just find it a little city-centric to assume that saying "New York's College Team" is focusing solely on the NYC market. I'd say it's just as likely they're looking to firm up their already strong presence in "upstate." If they throw in a couple of the most widely recognizable landmarks in the state, can you blame them? At least that's what my Buffalo bias sees.

And my understanding is that Rutgers and Syracuse are both being considered for the Big 10 spot.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I would like to see the grey facemask go blue or white. Now that the throwback theme is gone there is no point for the grey.

This is the best they ever had,

Patterson.jpg

I like everything except for the helmet. If you're using white accents in the jersey, you should use it in the helmet too.

I just find it a little city-centric to assume that saying "New York's College Team" is focusing solely on the NYC market. I'd say it's just as likely they're looking to firm up their already strong presence in "upstate." If they throw in a couple of the most widely recognizable landmarks in the state, can you blame them? At least that's what my Buffalo bias sees.

I'll have to check, but the ads in Times Square sure imply New York City, not state.

And my understanding is that Rutgers and Syracuse are both being considered for the Big 10 spot.

That would be a good reason for Syracuse to increase their presence in the city.

I'll have to check, but the ads in Times Square sure imply New York City, not state.

Do we know for sure there aren't ads in other places around the state, too?

In fact, this article seems to imply that there will be...

This year there have already been a lot of sightings of the taxi top displays. In addition, there will be similar messages on busses and billboards in Central and Upstate New York.

In fact, even the headline, "Spreading the Message Across the Empire State" seems to imply it as well.

Are there ads in NYC? Of course, that's the biggest population center. My point is that I don't believe they're trying to fool anyone in to thinking they're an NYC team. They're trying to put out the message that they're NY State's team. Which I think has some merit.

I suppose that's just my "upstater" blood getting all angried-up when I (often wrongly) feel like people from NYC take the "har har, everybody wishes they were from here, but they're not, losers" attitude. And in that case, sorry for that.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Can someone show a photo? Your all commenting on something and I can't see it. Is there an image or a link or something?

FBHelmet_8507%20001_web.jpgFBHelmet_IMG_0709_web.jpgFBHelmet_8507%20002_web.jpg

There you go.

Just throwing this out there...

michiganst.jpg

I know they aren't using this helmet now, but you never know, they could always go back to it...

What's with them sticking a New York decal on the helmet? I go to the website, and they're trying to brand themselves as "New York's College Team". There's even a big picture of the Statue of Liberty on the top of the page. I think they're trying a little too hard to secure the NYC market here, especially since they're not even in that part of the state. Who's going to challenge them? Buffalo? Rutgers?

I think Rutgers has a much bigger claim to NYC than Cuse. Not only are they closer, but there's a long precedent for Jersey-based football teams to claim NYC.

Of course, it's all a moot point come b-ball season. St. John's has college hoops in NYC on lock.

michiganst.jpg

I know they aren't using this helmet now, but you never know, they could always go back to it...

why not...in about 5 years MSU's gonna be back in the S helmets anyway.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived