New NFL Logo

Waffles

I believe the N and L are on the same line. draw a straight line from both and they'll match up directly over the point in the shield. The F serif just goes past center, just as it did in the old logo.

If that is the case, I still think something needs to be adjusted. Even if it is the serif on the F that throws it out of balance instead of the angle of the L, the bottom line (no pun intended) is that it still looks out of balance.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[1) The number of stars in the logo was reduced so as to make it easier for NFL vendor partners to accurately reproduce the logo on merchandise at a variety of sizes and in a number of different mediums. Previously, vendors had often rendered the logo with fewer than 25 stars because it was difficult to fit them all in at smaller sizes and in certain mediums.

2) The style of the football was changed so as to reflect the football on the Vince Lombardi Trophy, thus creating synergy between the NFL's logo and the award which signifies the league's ultimate on-field accomplishment.

3) The style of the font in which "NFL" is rendered in the logo was changed so as to better establish continuity with marks promoting other league events.

All that is true, and I am fine with the ball, I never really liked the hamburger. I also understand the reason for the change they made regarding the stars. But the wordmark just SUCKS. I always loved the old-fashioned look of the "NFL".

[1) The number of stars in the logo was reduced so as to make it easier for NFL vendor partners to accurately reproduce the logo on merchandise at a variety of sizes and in a number of different mediums. Previously, vendors had often rendered the logo with fewer than 25 stars because it was difficult to fit them all in at smaller sizes and in certain mediums.

2) The style of the football was changed so as to reflect the football on the Vince Lombardi Trophy, thus creating synergy between the NFL's logo and the award which signifies the league's ultimate on-field accomplishment.

3) The style of the font in which "NFL" is rendered in the logo was changed so as to better establish continuity with marks promoting other league events.

All that is true, and I am fine with the ball, I never really liked the hamburger. I also understand the reason for the change they made regarding the stars. But the wordmark just SUCKS. I always loved the old-fashioned look of the "NFL".

I think in the end that may be the main reason they went with an updated look....to go AWAY from the "old fashioned" look.

I predict that we'll get used to the new font. I actually don't mind it much. What I mind is the lining up of the letters, but we've already discussed that in great length so its not worth perseverating my opinion any further.

Just caught a glimpse of the old style along the sidelines of todays Bears-Chargers game in San Diego. Is the NFL going to make this change for the Super Bowl, then?

You'll note the caption under the New Logo has the legend "2008". Does that answer your question? ^_^

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

After looking at it for quite a while I don't like it for several reasons.

1. The font as other have stated it doesn't fit well with the shield the way the old font did thus leaving the logo with too much empty gaps. Further more the new font is too bland in my opinion. The old curly font gave to logo a unique style and a classy feeling. This new font gives it the counterfeit logo on a t-shirt I would buy in parking lot feel. I agree with others that said that you don't change the main logo to fit with the marketing logos.

2. The stars, yes I like how there is meaning to them now however there aren't enough of them which again leaves the logo with an empty feeling.

3. IMO the worst aspect of the new logo the football. I don't like the stylized football it doesn't fit with the rest of the logo. Everything on the logo is 2-d except for the logo which is 3-d. It doesn't fit and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Overall and especially because of the football the screams redesign for the sake of redesigning to give that false modern look to it. Which will ultimately make this new NFL logo look dated in 10 years where the soon to be old one imo doesn't look dated.

Here's a vector of the new logo if anyone wants to mess with it...

http://rapidshare.com/files/54550465/nfl-nfl-00.ai

Yeah, I'm sure the NFL would really want you to distribute the vector artwork for their logo.

Between this and asking how to take watermarks off of images, I don't know what to think.

Yea, I mean it's so horrible that I traced it and am letting other people have it. Also, nice job in bringing up something that was meant for getty photos and was well over a year ago, good job living in the past there buddy.

Yeah, I'm sure the NFL would really want you to distribute the vector artwork for their logo.

Between this and asking how to take watermarks off of images, I don't know what to think.

Yea, I mean it's so horrible that I traced it and am letting other people have it. Also, nice job in bringing up something that was meant for getty photos and was well over a year ago, good job living in the past there buddy.

If that was your property would you want people to have access to the vectors?

I rest my case.

I rest my case.

I find that funny since the NFL give access of their vectors (nflmedia) to anyone who signs up, it's automatic, you don't even have to work for an authorized media outlet.

I rest my case.

I find that funny since the NFL give access of their vectors (nflmedia) to anyone who signs up, it's automatic, you don't even have to work for an authorized media outlet.

I'm not picking on you, but there is a difference. The actual vectors are the NFL's property. Whatever their standards are for who they decide to release them to, through the setup they have at their media site it is still up to them who gets to have these files as is their right as property holders.

Personally, I think the fact that it's a trace job (which is by no means a reflection of the quality of the trace) and not the official, league-supplied vectors, and the fact that logo vectors have been made available on template files, etc. on these boards before, makes this a bit of a big deal over nothing, which of course I am only contributing to by responding.

Personally, I think the fact that it's a trace job (which is by no means a reflection of the quality of the trace) and not the official, league-supplied vectors, and the fact that logo vectors have been made available on template files, etc. on these boards before, makes this a bit of a big deal over nothing, which of course I am only contributing to by responding.

I cannot agree. The logos themselves belong to the NFL, not just some copies of the vector files. We may play with them to a certain extent under "fair use", but the logo still belongs to the league.

Back to discussing the the logo itself. Per this morning's UniWatch, PTI is already using the new logo:

1363034498_14ce978ed8_o.jpg

Whoops....

I cannot agree. The logos themselves belong to the NFL, not just some copies of the vector files. We may play with them to a certain extent under "fair use", but the logo still belongs to the league.

Of course. What I was trying to say (unsuccessfully, it appears) is that any copyright holder would likely, given the choice, not make as big a stink over an amateur trace of a logo floating around the internet than their official real thing. Obviously, they'd prefer to be the only ones in control of the vectors, but the fact that anyone with the basic ability to manipulate the bezier pen tool can make themselves a serviceable vector of just about any logo precludes that possibility.

Archived