New NFL Logo

Waffles

shield.jpg

Article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...nterstitialskip

NEW YORK ? The National Football League is launching a makeover of its red, white and blue "NFL Shield" logo that adorns everything from player jerseys to fan T-shirts and hats.

The league is creating a leaner, meaner version of the iconic logo that will debut at the NFL draft in April, 2008. The revamped shield will be slightly taller and thinner, with a new football, fewer stars and darker colors, says Lisa Baird, the NFL's senior vice president of marketing. The redesign marks the first changes to the shield since 1980.

At the NFL's annual meeting this spring, commissioner Roger Goodell talked about the NFL Shield as the "envy of the sports world." The league has been careful to make an "evolutionary, not a radical change," says Baird.

?The new shield features eight stars (representing the eight AFC and NFC divisions) vs. 25 on the current logo. Why 25? It's a mystery. After researching the shield's origins, the designers could find no reason for 25 stars, says Jaime Weston, director of brand and creative operations. The shield logo was first used around 1940, two decades after the NFL's founding in 1920.

? The football at the center has been redesigned to resemble the ball atop the Vince Lombardi championship trophy, says Baird. It replaces the old-fashioned pigskin nicknamed the "Hamburger" inside league offices.

?NFL vendors will probably thank the league for switching to fewer stars. Some vendors, without permission, have used fewer stars rather than shoehorning 25 tiny stars into smaller shields on hats and T-shirts.

Tinkering with one of the country's most powerful and ubiquitous sports brands will be a risky and expensive business. NFL sponsors such as Reebok, Wilson and EA Sports will have to switch shields on everything from uniforms (players wear three logos at the neck and waistlines and on the helmet) and licensed merchandise to the official "Duke" game ball and Madden video game. Even groundskeepers will have to adopt the new shield at NFL stadiums.

But Baird believes the cleaner, more modern symbol will "pop" better during TV telecasts. The less-busy logo will also show up better on "third screens" increasingly used by sports fans: cellphones, laptops, iPods and PDAs.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: NFL | National Football League | NFL draft | T-shirts | Lisa Baird

During testing with focus groups, consumers liked the switch to eight stars for eight divisions, she says.

"People felt that made more sense than tying in to 32 teams," says Baird.

AROUND THE WEB: A look the the history of the NFL shield

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nevermind.

Looks good.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This logo really wasn't broke, so why fix it?

Probably to even more $$$$ off of merchandise and stuff. :blink:

I can just hear them screaming "SUCKERS" at the NFL Office in NY to all the hardcore fans that have already bought new merchandise, etc.

I actually really like it.

I just can't decide whether I like the old font or the new font better.

Wonder what the NFL Network will end up looking like.

The old font combined with the new logo would work real well.

I smell a concept!

EDIT: I really hate how the new 'F' doesn't line up well with the bottom tip of the logo. It didn't line up well with the other logo but it wasn't as noticeable. The more I look at it, the worse it looks.

UGH! I'm telling ya, that font looks way off. They should have changed the angle of the serifs, or gotten rid of the serifs all together. It just doesn't match the bottom sweep of the logo. Too bad, because I really really like the rest of the logo. The new football is really nice.

The logo was changed to be consistent with the NFL's font used in all its graphics.

Not a bad update, but it needs some tweaking. I don't like the areas where the letters come close to the border. They need to be adjusted to follow the same curves to fit the shape better, like the original version.

Good choice for the newer football, but I think there should still be one star above it to fit the space at the top.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Overall I like it. I'm on the fence about the new football. I love the way it is rendered, however, I'm not sure if I like the asymetrical look of it. I do not care much for the new typeface. I really dislike the way the "L" works with the bottom of the shield. At least the old "L" curved along with the shield.

Archived