New NFL Logo

Waffles

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Notice anything familiar about the font that they used for "NFL"? Looks really familiar doesn't it.

Doesn't it resemble something? I don't know, wait,

Super Bowl XL, XLI, and XLII?

Yeah, uh, read my comment about it on the first page of this thread.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Quite seriously, had I not read this thread, I probably wouldn't have noticed. All in all though, it's a great update. The darker colours bring it out of the 80's and the fewer stars un-clutter the whole thing. I very much doubt though that the logo is the "envy of the sports world." Maybe the NFL's bank account balance is, but definitely not the logo.

I'll miss that classic curvy "L." Had a lot more personality to it. I can accept this one, but I'll miss this timeless symbol of the gridiron.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

NFLlogo2009-1.jpg

This is exactly the opposite of what I would have liked.

I really, really hate that new football. It looks like... I dunno... an anime football or something. No sir, I don't like it.

The new NFL font, however, I do kind of like.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

This logo really wasn't broke, so why fix it?

Probably to even more $$$$ off of merchandise and stuff. :blink:

I can just hear them screaming "SUCKERS" at the NFL Office in NY to all the hardcore fans that have already bought new merchandise, etc.

Though I do (or did) own an NFL Logo cap, I don't see hardcore fans rushing out to buy new gear next season because it has a new NFL logo on it.

However, maybe Reebok will push its NFL Equipment line a little harder than it did in the past, kind of as a way to introduce the new shield. And THEN you'll get the suckers buying!

Frankly, the font in the old NFL logo always struck me as being too stylized to be used by a professional football league. The curlicue "F" was positively effeminate. By contrast, the new font strikes me as being stronger and more befitting a league in which the rough-and-tumble sport of gridiron football is contested.

Further, the whole "the old logo wasn't broke, so why fix it" notion doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

* The number of stars in the old logo was an absolute pain - if not impossible - for vendors to accurately reproduce at small sizes. For example, the logo within the NFL Equipment badge on my authentic jersey features only 19 stars, as opposed to 25. How well-designed is a logo if you knowingly can't accurately reproduce it in a number of mediums and at a variety of sizes? The new logo addresses that problem.

* The football in the new logo is designed and positioned so as to tie-in to the imagery surrounding the NFL's greatest prize, the Vince Lombardi Trophy. The football in the old logo did not achieve that type of synergy.

* The move to darker colors and a bolder font is meant to be more reflective of the intensity and physicality at play in the sport of football.

NFLlogo2009-1.jpg

Great effort, but I have to admit I prefer the new font. The curly font has a more "old timey" look to me, while the rest of the logo is now more streamlined and modern. That said, I also have reservations with the way the bottom serifs of the new font, so that is where I would focus a new concept. Also, I can understand the dislike of the new football. Among everything else, it is asymmetrical campared to the extreme symmetry of the stars. However, I am quite happy to let that pass knowing the fact it is the Lombardi trophy football. That is way cool.

LT

Archived