Nicknames that work better (or just as good) in other cities.

illwauk

The OKC Wranglers thread got me thinking what teams nicknames would fit in just as well, or even better, in another city.

For example, Lakers would work better in Chicago, Cleveland or Milwaukee since all 3 are on one of the Great Lakes.

And just to get it out of the way, let's avoid situations where a city inherited a team that was named with its previous home in mind (like Dodgers working better in Brooklyn, Jazz working better in New Orleans, etc.).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironically, the Packers nickname would work equally as well in Chicago. The Blues would work for Chicago and Memphis, probably better than St. Louis (even though it has the song title connotation.) The Blue Jackets might work better for a New England team.

As you said,

Brooklyn Dodgers

New Orleans Jazz

Here are more:

- Charlotte Hornets

- Utah Hornets, (Utah's the Beehive State)

- Minnesota Lakers

- Vancouver Grizzlies, (they should've been the Memphis Express)

- AHL's Binghamton Senators, (Binghamton's not the NY state capital)

- Dallas Stars should change their colors and branding to a more Texan style, rather than using the colors of the North Stars.

Random ones:

NFL

- Dallas Texans

- San Antonio Texans

- New York Titans, (Jets' former name)

- New England Seahawks

- Philadelphia Patriots

- St. Louis Saints

MLB

- Florida Rays

- San Francisco Dodgers

- San Francisco Padres

- Los Angeles Giants

- San Antonio Padres

- Boston Yankees

- Baltimore Mariners

NHL

- Florida Hurricanes

- Ottawa Capitals

- Washington Senators

- Toronto Canadiens, obviously changed to Canadians.

- Ottawa Maple Leafs

- Ottawa Canucks

- Vancouver Maple Leafs

- Houston Oilers

NBA

- Utah Bobcats

- Utah Hornets

- Dallas Spurs

- San Antonio Mavericks

- Houston Mavericks

- Oklahoma Mavericks

MLS

- Los Angeles Earthquakes

- Dallas Dynamo

- New York Revolution

- Philadelphia Revolution

- New Jersey Revolution

- Houston Galaxy

Union.png

The OKC Wranglers thread got me thinking what teams nicknames would fit in just as well, or even better, in another city.

For example, Lakers would work better in Chicago, Cleveland or Milwaukee since all 3 are on one of the Great Lakes.

And just to get it out of the way, let's avoid situations where a city inherited a team that was named with its previous home in mind (like Dodgers working better in Brooklyn, Jazz working better in New Orleans, etc.).

I'm going to break the rule and mention the Lakers, cuz Minneapolis (or Minnesota) was great. The City of Lakes (the Land of Lakes).

Maybe the Rams would be better in Denver (I think there are rams in the Rockies).

Jets in Seattle?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

And just to get it out of the way, let's avoid situations where a city inherited a team that was named with its previous home in mind.

Lakers fits the exact desription of the situation you told us to avoid.

I'm just sayin'.

And just to get it out of the way, let's avoid situations where a city inherited a team that was named with its previous home in mind.

Lakers fits the exact desription of the situation you told us to avoid.

I'm just sayin'.

Not exactly. He's saying don't give us "Lakers would work better in Minneapolis" or "Jazz would work better in New Orleans." So, don't mention a team's previous home. But, the Chicago Lakers would be fine, because they weren't named with that city in mind. So, JaMike's were all superfluous.

Ironically, the Packers nickname would work equally as well in Chicago.

Been there, done that in the NBA.

From Wikipdedia --

The team now known as the Wizards began play as the Chicago Packers in the 1961-62 season. The next season, they changed their name to the Zephyrs.

To add more to your list --

Yankees -- Boston (heaven forbid)

Pirates -- New Orleans, Tampa

Cowboys -- Houston, Kansas City

Broncos -- Kansas City, Dallas, Houston

I'm sure I could think of plenty more if I gave it some time.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

How about DETROIT? Although it may not border an actual Great Lake, the Detroit River is attached to Lake Erie, and, other than that, it's Michigan! The great lakes state! How could you make a list of cities with whom the name "Lakers" would work and leave out the major city of the state with the Great Lakes?

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

Baltimore Clippers. (Although I think a minor league team did that).

Atlanta Firebirds (not sure if done before)

St. Louis Trail Blazers (Lewis and Clark started by there)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ironically, the Packers nickname would work equally as well in Chicago. The Blues would work for Chicago and Memphis, probably better than St. Louis (even though it has the song title connotation.) The Blue Jackets might work better for a New England team.

Chicago Packers was a NBA team in the 60s. They became the Chicago Zephyrs after one year then moved to Baltimore and became The Bullets

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm just going to go off the top of my head here...

I think "Giants", "Eagles", and "Cardinals" could work anywhere, since those lil' birds can be found in most parts of the country, I think.

I know for a fact that, had Atlanta not chosen "Falcons", "Jets" would work just as well, with Atlanta having either the world's busiest airport or the world's second busiest airport (depending on the year, it seems)--although I think they may have had to stick "Delta" in front of "Jets" to really make it work... :D But then again--isn't that exactly how Gang Green got their name up in New York, anyway--with their former stadium having been built up near or on where LaGuardia is currently located today?

As far as "Raptors" go, that nickname, if used in the sense of "birds of prey", could also work in Atlanta, since hawks are, after all, raptors, by definition. Also, only because of the connotation brought upon them by the powers they possess (at least from a storybook perspective), "Wizards" could work in Orlando, since wizards supposedly have, well, magical powers. (I know that one was a bit of a stretch, but... ^_^ )

Over in the world of baseball, if it's true that San Francisco still has those lil' trolley cars rolling up and down the streets, then "Dodgers"--or at least the full-blown version of it, "Trolley Dodgers"--could work there. And Yankees? Well...that could work for any team up in the New England region--of course, to certain populations overseas, Americans in general are "yankees" anyway, so...I guess that COULD work in other places, too, using that line of logic.

In hockey, I think "Flyers" could work anywhere there's a super-busy airport, thus Chicago and Atlanta would suit that nickname quite well. And, of course, "Capitals" could be quite ubiquitous, but especially to Phoenix, Denver, Ottawa, Atlanta, and Boston--since, after all, they all are state capitals... :P

And oh, God, "Sharks"...that would work just as well for Florida--at least on the Gulf Coast side, anyway. (Look--there's a REASON I never went swimming in the Gulf growing up down there in Pensacola...aside from the fact that I can't swim, anyways, those waters STAY full of sharks.)

Okay...I think I'm done.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Baltimore Clippers. (Although I think a minor league team did that).

Yes there was old hockey team here called the Clippers. They actually had a pretty cool logo too:

120px-BaltimoreClippers.jpg

Also there will be a new arena football team in 2008 called the Baltimore Mariners (as mentioned earlier in the thread). They are replacing the Baltimore Blackbirds in the AIFA.

Lakers wouldn't work good in michigan? because thats not on a great lake or anything. :rolleyes:

newsig.jpg

-The Few, The Proud, The Paint Users.-

How about DETROIT? Although it may not border an actual Great Lake, the Detroit River is attached to Lake Erie, and, other than that, it's Michigan! The great lakes state! How could you make a list of cities with whom the name "Lakers" would work and leave out the major city of the state with the Great Lakes?

Lakers would also work in Detroit because of the iron ore ships called Lakers that go though the Detroit River.

Archived