Carolina Panthers - White jersey, silver pants

Badge Man

Panthers vs Orange Crush Broncos.. I know the Panthers were around for a good 3 years or so before the Broncos changed, but it's still bizarre to see this matchup of a uni I associate with the 70s and 80s against one of the newest teams

Or something like this...

NHL-van_col.jpg

or like this...

NHL-ana_hfd.jpg

Back on topic :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe it's all these years of seeing the white pants with the white jersey or maybe it's the blue socks, but I prefer the white pants over the silver with the road uniforms. Maybe with black socks it would look better.

PvO6ZWJ.png

maybe it's all these years of seeing the white pants with the white jersey or maybe it's the blue socks, but I prefer the white pants over the silver with the road uniforms. Maybe with black socks it would look better.

...or because they look like the Lions.....

Ask and it will be given to you....

lg_broughton_ap_01.jpg

lg_faulk_ap_01.jpg

Your welcome! ^_^

Fantastic find. Looking at that combo now actually makes me appreciate the standard silver/white/white look a little more. Maybe it's because the silver/white/silver was only worn once and looks strange. Maybe it's because the white pants help differentiate the Panthers from the Raiders or Cowboys. I dunno. But the silver/white/white has really been established at the Panthers' unique look.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

IMHO Panthers should have black helmets with the panther outlined in blue and white or silver, much like the Falcons did when they switched from red to black helmets. Last I looked, Panthers are black. Jags should wear gold helmets/black jerseys and incorporated in their pants and jersey striping should reflect a jaguar pattern much like the Bengals. I understand the Carolina blue thing with the Panthers, so keep the alternate. Does a Jaguar actually have any teal?

Factoid: When Al Davis found out the Panthers were going with silver helmets/black jerseys, he went bonkers and wanted to sue the NFL and NFL Properties. Good ol' Al always did have his head up his arse instead of worrying about a competitive team.

I remember the announcers for that game making fun of how the Panthers looked in that combination. If only they knew what the following decade in the NFL would bring.

The problem with the Panthers' white on silver look is that the silver the team uses is so freaking light. It looks good with the black or blue jerseys, but it doesn't create enough contrast between the pants and the road jerseys to really give them a different look from the standard white on white. It has the same effect as the Patriots' silver alt jerseys: they just look like the regular pants, but dirty.

good find. the images show [http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1998/12/27/panthers_colts/x.jpg] and i even tried digging around there too (no luck for me tho)

ugly combo. white on white is clean. another interesting find going thru the older dates, is how the cut of the jerseys and sleeve lenghts have made the sleeve stripes be altered over the years. still a classic uni set, and knowing Jerry and his desire for continuity, they'll stay the same for years to come (we hope).

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Didn't the Colts try grey pants for a season? (sorry, not trying to hijack the thread)

It was more than just one year; they wore them from 1982 through 1986 - which would be the last two years in Baltimore and the first three years in Indianapolis. However, it was a bit different - the Colts only wore the grey pants with their blue home jerseys; the blue jerseys were their traditional blue/white with no grey trim. They also had a modified white uniform where they filled in the center of the shoulder loops and the pants stripes with grey as well (from Football Uniforms Past & Present):

Baltimore82.gif

While that site has the Colts wearing the grey pants at home for 1986 I believe they might have ditched the grey pants during the season, but I have no proof other than a faulty memory :P . I do know they didn't wear the grey pants in 1987; they just wore the white pants with the blue/grey/blue stripes (and the matching white jersey). They dropped the grey for 1988.

• 1 year later...
IMHO Panthers should have black helmets with the panther outlined in blue and white or silver, much like the Falcons did when they switched from red to black helmets. Last I looked, Panthers are black. Jags should wear gold helmets/black jerseys and incorporated in their pants and jersey striping should reflect a jaguar pattern much like the Bengals. I understand the Carolina blue thing with the Panthers, so keep the alternate. Does a Jaguar actually have any teal?

Factoid: When Al Davis found out the Panthers were going with silver helmets/black jerseys, he went bonkers and wanted to sue the NFL and NFL Properties. Good ol' Al always did have his head up his arse instead of worrying about a competitive team.

DON'T GO THERE, PATNA.

That type of reasoning has been brought up ad nauseam around these parts--and has been thoroughly shot to SH!+ each and every time. I'm not even going to bring up the honolulu blue lions, navy and/or orange bears, midnight green eagles, or aqua-colored dolphins, so leave it alone, aiight, kinfolk?

OH--and, for what it's worth, since we're on this topic...have you ever seen one of THESE before?

floridapanther.jpg

That there, patna, is also a panther--the Florida panther, to be exact. And, as you see, it is NOT black. (See the Florida Panthers NHL hockey team.)

So you were saying...?

(Be glad gregjgga5 didn't get to you first, homeboy.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

DON'T GO THERE, PATNA.

That type of reasoning has been brought up ad nauseam around these parts--and has been thoroughly shot to SH!+ each and every time. I'm not even going to bring up the honolulu blue lions, navy and/or orange bears, midnight green eagles, or aqua-colored dolphins, so leave it alone, aiight, kinfolk?

OH--and, for what it's worth, since we're on this topic...have you ever seen one of THESE before?

floridapanther.jpg

That there, patna, is also a panther--the Florida panther, to be exact. And, as you see, it is NOT black. (See the Florida Panthers NHL hockey team.)

So you were saying...?

(Be glad gregjgga5 didn't get to you first, homeboy.)

You DO realize that you're calling someone out on something they posted over a YEAR AGO?

:P

Archived