NFL Caves

Mac the Knife

That's really too bad. The NFL could have used the opportunity to try to get more suckers to buy into their network... or the public could have used the opportunity to send a message by ignoring the game altogether... Congress should not have gotten involved in this.

I saw, I came, I left.

Ugh...the thing is, the networks can't lose...either they're televising history, or televising one of the biggest upsets in NFL history. I was kinda wishing that the NFL N would've just said no, and people would've made a mad dash to buy it. Capitalism at its finest.

Why is this a bad thing? I know many people don't have the NFL Network, so this is a fair deal.

But, what confuses me is that both CBS and NBC are simulcasting it. It's either one or the other, people. You can't have both ways.

Why is this a bad thing? I know many people don't have the NFL Network, so this is a fair deal.

... well, once those people hear Bryant Gumbel do the play-by-play.... then maybe it won't be such a fair deal after all.... ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm shocked they didn't make it a PPV event.

That one actually gave me a really good chuckle...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This is good news for me as I can see the game, but the NFLN had a big chance to become a really big TV station, as many people would've bought it just to see the game. It looks like the networks win out once again.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

I'm assuming the only reason the NFL caved is due to advertiser pressure. This is the game people will be watching, and people don't watch ads at sports bars. I can't imagine any other valid reason to move the game other than to appease those that fund the whole operation.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This is something that doesn't happen often, nor does a team have a valid chance of ending a season undefeated. This game has moved beyond playoff implications, history is on the line. Everyone wants to see if the Pats will make it "all the way". Right now, it's just a very huge game of tug-o-war between NBC and CBS. Neither station will let the other get all the ratings.

Wonder how the Fox Network feels about this? I was shocked to hear that they wouldn't have the simulcast along with the other NFL networks.

Fox and ESPN had no claims to it. NBC is the exclusive carrier of prime-time "over the air" NFL football, which means if the game was moving to a non-cable station, it had to be on NBC. But since NBC already has a game for the week (Tennessee at Indianapolis), the Pats-Giants game was partially owned by CBS as well, since CBS would have aired the game on Sunday afternoon, given that the AFC team in the interconference contest is the visitor.

The real surprising aspect is that NBC and CBS did not have to pay for the rights to the game. Plus, they get to sell their own commercials.

I'm shocked they didn't make it a PPV event.

IIRC, I believe such a PPV event would violate an anti-trust law that Congress enacted back in the 60's. I could be wrong, but this was the explanation I was given by someone within the Pats organization back in the early-90s, when the NFL was tinkering with the idea.

Don't forget that the NFL simulcasts their cable games (ESPN & NFL Network) on the over-the-air stations in the team's participating markets. In this case, Boston's ABC station, WCVB Channel 5 and its Manchester, New Hampshire sister station WMUR Channel 9 (ABC) will show the game (Manchester is part of the Boston TV market), as well New York's My TV Channel 9 (WWOR). Three stations in each of the team's markets will broadcast the game...2 (CBS), 4 (NBC), 9 (My) in NYC, Channels 4 (CBS), 5 & 9 (ABC), and 7 (NBC) in Boston.

I'm assuming the only reason the NFL caved is due to advertiser pressure.

And you'd be incorrect. Advertisers had nothing to do with it.

The United States Senate, apparently, did. A few Senators apparently decided to lean on the NFL, saying those magic words, "hearings to re-visit the NFL's anti-trust exemption," and voila! Patriots 24/7!

Of course what anti-trust exemption the NFL has is somewhat moot, but apparently the threat was enough to get Commissioner Goodell calling the networks.

nav-logo.png

So which station will everyone be watching it on?

NBC.

Who's commentating for NBC?

NBC has a great production crew, and they show a fine game, but I do like CBS, they do the second best job at televising NFL games.

It depends on who's commentating in this one, I may end up watching CBS.

NBC and CBS are simulcasting the game from the NFL Network's feed, so it's the NFL Network's announcers. It makes no difference what channel you watch.

This does pose a problem for Boston Channel 5 and NY Channel 9. Both could potentially lose money from advertisers from the lost exclusivity in their local markets. Why should an advertiser pay $X for a commercial when there's no guarantee anyone would watch the game on that specific channel?

It's possible the NFL Network might compensate those two channels for the lost advertising dollars.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I can't believe how many people are actually upset about this. NFL Network is the first step towards the NFL having a monopoly on the media access to its product. If the kinks in its plans don't get attacked now, we won't be able to see ANY games for free in a few years.

Archived