2008 NFL Playoffs

rainmaker17

Agreed, but everything Simmons writes is like that. I want to know if he honestly believes the Colts chose to lose against the Chargers.

gingerbreadman, Bill Simmons is the reason people hate Boston sports. I answered it for you. He's the reason everyone hates you guys. To openly state that the Colts, the COLTS, the NFL's second best team had no shot against the Patriots is ridiculous.

You just hit the nail on the head. After reading that article, I hope the Chargers stun the Pats...as much as I would like to see a Packers/Pats Super Bowl.

What an arrogant SOB.

Agreed, I just read the article and of course he likes to mention how big of a choke job the loss was, as if no other defending champ had ever lost their first playoff game before or something to that effect. Heck, if the Colts' loss was a historic choke, then so was every team that ever lost a home playoff game after a bye week.....

Gosh I can't stand Simmons (though sometimes I might read just to see his utter stupidity).

Although I agree with everyone who says that the Chargers are a bunch of whining SOB's.... especially Phillip Rivers. I just wish there was a way that both the Pats and Chargers could lose this week.

espnsig.gif

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to read him because once upon a time he was capable of writing intelligent, informative columns that I could actually understand and enjoy...making him one of ESPN.com's few good columnists.

Nowadays I rarely do read him (although the homerism was only part of it-he took some swings at the Rams organization that honestly pi$$ed me off in the preseason preview and that really turned me off to him for good.) From what I have seen of his writings this season, even his typically intelligent game previews have been marginalized in favor of "Boston du jour".

I only clicked on that column because the preview said he compared this year's Patriots team to the 1986 Celtics, and I wanted to know what he thought those two had in column-again because he actually was informative in the past.

Then we get the pure arrogance of the beginning of that column. <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This is off-topic, but kinda on...but gingerbreadmann gets props for life for taking on three people in an argument and holding his own, IMO. Well done.

Thanks Flame, that actually made my day. I was kind of expecting another attack from someone, but seeing that brought a smile to my face. Now I (sorta) know how it feels to have someone (sorta) on your side(even if in a completely different way)!

Again, thanks a bunch, your compliment is much appreciated(and a bit of a relief!).

:)

I also commend you for this, and for avoiding (or trying to avoid) another flame war.

Apparently it was the media all along, and the bandwagoners that came along with it. One brief thing though (closing statements, if you will) is that the Patriots craze attacks a heterogenous group of people (those now attacking the Patriots) and promotes a homogenous group of people (those mostly from New England defending the Patriots).

I guess my point is that I wasn't born a Patriots-hater. That's what I think a lot of people don't understand. Being from New England, it's your duty to defend the Patriots, just like mine is to defend the Packers (or Bears, Lions, or Vikings if I were born one of their fans). If I were a New York Jets fan, for instance, I would hate the Patriots inherently. Here, I state my opinions as having no affiliation, like or dislike, with the New England Patriots prior to this year. My biggest beef is with the media, who think the Patriots are the biggest story ever and who voted Bellichick C.O.Y. despite my parable... If I offended the Patriots or their fans, I apologize, but as far as Patriot-hating goes, I'm a third party. This is my first time taking a stance either for or against the Patriots, so I must have some reason for doing so (in my estimation, anyway).

Anyway, playoffs in 3 days! I'm taking the obvious ones for the win, the Packers at home by 6 and the Patriots at home by 21.

OK ESPNNEWS we get it! It's going to be :censored: ing cold in Green Bay on Sunday. You've hammered that point so far into the ground it's in the mantle.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Rivers doubtful for Sunday.

Let's go Billy Volek! :unsure:

Today, we are all otaku.

Keep this in mind, there are plenty of Pats fans that find Simmons to be a blowhard jackass too.

I can't imagine how you wouldn't. If the sports puss were an Ohio State, Browns, and Indians fan and he represented us the way he does you guys I think I'd find new teams. It has got to suck knowing that a large portion of people probably believe that Simmons is a typical Boston or New England fan. If it's any consolation, I think most of the people around here know the difference.

BB52Big.jpg

Rivers doubtful for Sunday.

Let's go Billy Volek! :unsure:

Ladies and gentlemen, your AFC champion...

New England Patriots.

next question,

Giants or Packers to represent the NFC?

I'd pick the Packers for dominating Game 1 against the Giants, but the Giants have gone on to win 9 straight road games, losing only their first one to Dallas (which they avenged). If they avenged their first against Dallas, who's to say the Packers can't be next? And I know that the Packers loss to the Bears was Favre's "worst conditions I've ever played in," but the cold will be bad in Lambeau (as ESPNNEWS continually tells us ^_^ ) and the wind might follow. But still, I don't think the homefield advantage means anything to a team that's won 9 straight on the road.

Overall, I'll pick the Packers, but not to cover.

Haven't heard much about Philip Rivers so far. How's he feeling/looking in practice? Same goes for LT, I haven't heard much.

In a pre-game interview, Norv Turner said that Rivers WILL play despite being listed as doubtful, and LT will be playing at 90 percent. Gates is also expecting to play again, so there's some good news for the Chargers.

*turns up thermostat 5 degrees*

I'm just getting cold watching the game.

EDIT-nice throw, Tom.

Today, we are all otaku.

OK...time for Volek.

EDIT-I didn't know San Diego had a hobbit on their roster.

Today, we are all otaku.

OMG such a tight game. 12-14. I guess it won't be a 3 point Chargers game after all.

Make that 21-12

Oh well...they haven't covered yet.

EDIT-Can't say the Chargers didn't have their chances. Oh well.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived