49ers uniform change coming up

JustForFun

Ah, I was looking for this topic. I think the 49er's uniform from the 80's is so much better than what they have now. Granted, it's OK what they have now, but it seems a little more outdated as time goes on... maybe it's the dropshadow on the numbers.

I agree with some, bring back the 80's look, thin the pant stripes, add gold trimming to the jerseys, and wa la. There's no need for black outlining. Seriously, why on earth would a team change their look after winning 5 Super Bowl's like the 9ers did? You don't see the Steelers or Cowboys doing that crap. Keep the tradition, man!

you've seen what they have done to their jerseys? granted they didn't completely overhaul them instead every year they added a subtle change here and a subtle change there until there is a cluster fluff of a uniform. just look at what they have done to the color scheme. light silver, dark silver, green silver, royal blue, navy blue, black etc. the cowboys would greatly benefit in a uniform change if not overhaul.

49ers did change their logo though... but I think that was for the better. I prefer their new logo and think they should keep it. And yes, the Cowboys have gone through some slight changes, but not completely change things. The 49ers went from cherry colored to cardinal red, change the color of their gold, added black outline on their helmets, and made black part of their official color scheme. Compare 49er's unifrom from 80's and now and you'll see a great difference. Compare Cowboy's current look from 80's or early 90's and you won't see such a drastic change.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, I was looking for this topic. I think the 49er's uniform from the 80's is so much better than what they have now. Granted, it's OK what they have now, but it seems a little more outdated as time goes on... maybe it's the dropshadow on the numbers.

I agree with some, bring back the 80's look, thin the pant stripes, add gold trimming to the jerseys, and wa la. There's no need for black outlining. Seriously, why on earth would a team change their look after winning 5 Super Bowl's like the 9ers did? You don't see the Steelers or Cowboys doing that crap. Keep the tradition, man!

Um....Have you taken a look at the Steelers' chest patch or rounded, italicized name and number font lately?!

Sigs are for sissies.

Um....Have you taken a look at the Steelers' chest patch or rounded, italicized name and number font lately?!

Oh, damn... I believe I missed thouse. :(

you've seen what they have done to their jerseys? granted they didn't completely overhaul them instead every year they added a subtle change here and a subtle change there until there is a cluster fluff of a uniform. just look at what they have done to the color scheme. light silver, dark silver, green silver, royal blue, navy blue, black etc. the cowboys would greatly benefit in a uniform change if not overhaul.

49ers did change their logo though... but I think that was for the better. I prefer their new logo and think they should keep it. And yes, the Cowboys have gone through some slight changes, but not completely change things. The 49ers went from cherry colored to cardinal red, change the color of their gold, added black outline on their helmets, and made black part of their official color scheme. Compare 49er's unifrom from 80's and now and you'll see a great difference. Compare Cowboy's current look from 80's or early 90's and you won't see such a drastic change.

Depends on whether you're talking about the white or the blue set. White's hardly changed at all, while the blue has changed frequently, and mostly for the worse.

Compare Cowboy's current look from 80's or early 90's and you won't see such a drastic change.

Yeah, but compare the current uniforms to the Landry-era beauties, and you can really see how a series of small, pointless tweaks can lead to a pretty big (and in this case, bad) difference.

I'll go absolutely postal if they go back to Gray facemasks.

Embrace the gray facemask. Love the gray facemask.

This is the WORST TREND in the NFL today!!!!!!!!! How many hockey goalies do you see with tan pads? How many baseball players do you see with just a navy or red batting helmet? This is a time where you can color coordinate your whole uni. Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This pet peeve of mine is bigger than the leotard socks/pants. (which I hate)

I love the grey face masks. They are a nod to the past and the tradition of the NFL. Most every team had them. With all the awful Minnesota's, Arizona's, Cincinnati's and the rest of the horrid nu-skool trends, I love the nod to the throw back that the grey mask is.

GOD forbid I agree with my man Pantone, the heck with gray facemasks

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

I'll go absolutely postal if they go back to Gray facemasks.

Embrace the gray facemask. Love the gray facemask.

This is the WORST TREND in the NFL today!!!!!!!!! How many hockey goalies do you see with tan pads? How many baseball players do you see with just a navy or red batting helmet? This is a time where you can color coordinate your whole uni. Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This pet peeve of mine is bigger than the leotard socks/pants. (which I hate)

I love the grey face masks. They are a nod to the past and the tradition of the NFL. Most every team had them. With all the awful Minnesota's, Arizona's, Cincinnati's and the rest of the horrid nu-skool trends, I love the nod to the throw back that the grey mask is.

GOD forbid I agree with my man Pantone, the heck with gray facemasks

It's safe to say that this grey-facemask issue is truely of of those topics where there is no middle ground. I, for one, love them. I can see an argument against them when it comes to the Cardinals, but I think the argument should be directed more at the atrocious uniforms than the helmets.

That's not to say I don't understand the reasoning behind hating them, especially on teams that otherwise don't use grey. I just happen to like them.

It's safe to say that this grey-facemask issue is truely of of those topics where there is no middle ground. I, for one, love them. I can see an argument against them when it comes to the Cardinals, but I think the argument should be directed more at the atrocious uniforms than the helmets.

That's not to say I don't understand the reasoning behind hating them, especially on teams that otherwise don't use grey. I just happen to like them.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. I, too, am a grey facemask fan.

EDIT: Post No. 3700. I need to get back to work.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think there's some middle ground.

I love the gray facemasks on the Giants, like them on the Browns and loathe them on the Cardinals. Now, you might be thinking that I probably just like them on all retro uniforms. Not true. I hate them on the Colts and I think they would look pretty bad on the 49ers.

It's a case-by- case thing.

I agree with the last two that the gray facemasks are a case by case thing. I do like the gray facemask on the Giants and Cardinals. My reasoning for the Cardinals is because to my memory they have always had gray facemasks and when the Giants went back to the NY the original NY helmet had gray facemasks.

When I was growing up the only teams that DIDN"T have gray facemasks were the Broncos and Chiefs who wore white masks and Texas Tech whose bars were red. In 1977 there began a big shift away from gray facemasks. Texas, Arkansas, Houston and OU all went to white. SMU had gone to the red bars with their white helmet in 1976. It just didn't look good, particularly the white on white. I like the contrast of the gray on the white particularly, it delineates the mask from the helmet.

Go Gray!

FsQiF2W.png

YES! Finally! After so many years, i have found other gray facemask supporters!

VINDICATION! I'm not the only one!

:P:D

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

You're definitely not alone. Grey works just fine, thank you. I don't get the obsession with having every last bit of apparel and equipment having to match some portion of the team's color palette.

Case by case is by far the best way to take things.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

You're definitely not alone. Grey works just fine, thank you. I don't get the obsession with having every last bit of apparel and equipment having to match some portion of the team's color palette.

Case by case is by far the best way to take things.

But we're not talking about shoestrings, or gloves, or whatever. We're talking about something very prominent right on the front of the helmet.

I simply see them as nothing more than a necessary piece of protective equipment -- nothing that falls into the "must show color" category. If they do, and they look good (see Redskins, bias obvious) ... great. Just not mandatory.

Then again, I watched an NFL where every team had gray masks and no one thought twice about it.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I'm also not a big fan of dark facemasks that match the shell - Minnesota, Chicago and the like.

Really? I loved the Vikings grey facemasks when they wore their throwback uniforms last year (a set I wish they'd revert to permanently), but I can't imagine them having anything other than the purple facemasks in their modern uniforms.

The Bears could revert to a grey facemask now and I wouldn't complain, but I don't see it as a pressing need.

Clearly, the grey facemasks work best when a team is wearing more retro-styled uniforms, which is why they seem a bit out of place with the Cardinals.

Grey facemasks are only right for a few...just a few...teams. If everyone starts wearing them...not only would that be annoying but boring also.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Archived