49ers uniform change coming up

JustForFun

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news!

San Francisco's 90's update was a classic example of fixing something that wasn't broken. Their 70's/80's uniforms are so beautifully simplistic - really some of the best uniforms of all time. And I'm no Niners fan. Let's hope they drop all the superfluous crap and go back to what Montana and Rice wore. And if that means giant pants stripes, I'm fine with that.

And I see no reason for them to have gold in the jersey. The helmet, pants, jersey and socks need to be viewed as one cohesive element. The red jersey with white stripes and numbers works perfectly in that context - adding more only clutters it up.

jerry_rice4.jpg

Thin the pants stripes (it's 2009, not 1989), and you have what is pretty much a perfect uniform.

WRONG!!!!

Those 80s uniforms aren't any good because they neglected to use gold trim in the jerseys. If they make any changes, they must keep some black trim and make sure there is red, black and gold in all jerseys, pants and basically keep the same helmet.

If I were to redesign them, I'd keep the helmet almost the same (but the striping would be black-red-black), make the jerseys red with gold numbers and black trim and the pants gold with black-red-black striping. There'd be no logos on the jerseys or pants, and for the jersey striping I'd use black-gold-black over the shoulders (like the Colts have). The TV numbers would be on the shoulders.

The white pants and drop shadow numbers are awful. Simple awful.

I don't mind the current look at all. It's not perfect, but it's better than what several other teams are wearing. It wouldn't be in my top 5 if I was in charge of the uniforms that need changing.

What I would like them to do is this: take another crack at modernizing the 1980s uniform. They didn't quite get it right last time, but it was a good effort. Go back to the drawing board and get it exactly right this time.

"Once you settle on a uniform change, after all, you have to stick with it for at least five seasons."

...if that's the case...then how long until the Bills can get rid of their atrocities...?

...not to go off topic...just to spark some thought...

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I hate the niners and associate the 80s with the misery of being a rams fan living in the bay area, but i love those uniforms. maybe because its easier to hate them while theyre wearing that look, but really think its near perfection for a football uniform.

-I agree, the thin pant stripes from the 70s would look better, but you gotta keep the sleeve stripes. just bump them up so they show (think giants roads, browns, or steelers) and slap tv numbers on the shoulders.

-Keep the grey facemasks 'cause the red looks so USFL

-Thin the red whie red helmet stripe to match the pants

I disagree with many of you when it comes to the current unis. terrible. A good modernization of an old uni would be seattle, miami (i even like the navy), or philadelphia. while those looks arent perfect, theyre head and shoulders above the niners saturated, cluttered look. they took almost all the white out of the uniforms, leaving what was left surrounded by red, black, and gold.

The Niners' unis suck. They're way too cluttered. Go back to the '80's look, with three minor changes- Thinner pants stripes that match the helmet stripes, TV numbers on the shoulders and BLACK SHOES. Those triple-striped socks are GORGEOUS. Striped hosiery are infinitely better than the plain variety.

I'm a firm believer in the 'White shoes are for golf courses-- Black shoes are for football fields' rule, by the way.

Sigs are for sissies.

Nothing was wrong with the classic Niners look. THey'll keep the new logo, but i think everything else is going to be more Montana-era.

Thank God.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Nothing was wrong with the classic Niners look. THey'll keep the new logo, but i think everything else is going to be more Montana-era.

Thank God.

I think they'll keep their current helmet, too.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Thank God.

I think they'll keep their current helmet, too.

Lets hope not. the new logo is awful. the black stripes on the helmets look ridiculous. the red facemasks=face hemmorage. the old logo was so much better. bold, simple, defined. that swooshing oval on the new one is sooo 1998. a cheap design gag that lacks the chops to be the timeless classic of the original. the only concession I'd make is bringing the new red with the old template.

Nevermind i google'd it

uniforms_1994.jpg

1994 & 1995

In 1994, the NFL helped celebrate its 75th anniversary with the introduction of 'throwback' jerseys - which every team wore at least once over the course of the season, sometimes numerous times.

The Rams' 1994 throwback jersey was a tribute to the 1951 uniform worn by such greats as Norm Van Brocklin and Elroy (Crazylegs) Hirsch. Note the simple and elegant blue & yellow-gold color schematic, and triple blue striping on the sleeve. If you look closely, you'll see the diamond-shaped NFL patch commemorating the 75th anniversary on the upper left chest.

One other note about the uniform: If you look closely at almost all NFL uniforms worn from 1991 on, you'll note a small NFL shield patch on the jersey's neckline. Most NFL uniforms added the NFL logo patch to the neck, and to the upper left thigh of the pants, beginning in 1991. The only major exception to this practice was in 1994 when the teams wore their throwback uniforms - in these instances, most teams did not wear the NFL shield patch. The Rams however, did, and thus you can see the small NFL shield patch on the neck and upper left thigh of the pants.

Thats how I feel about them going back to the awful Vegas Gold. The current more yellowish gold MUST stay.

Comparing the current colors to the older (I picked the 1989 colors since they show the difference between the helmet and pant colors):

SanFrancisco49ers_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

SanFrancisco49ers_FRC_1989_SOL.jpg

This is depressing. Save for the sleeve stripes, the current 49ers uniform ranks as one of my favorites in the league. Their shade of red is fantastic, and I think that the black complements everything perfectly.

I agree. This was a nice "upgrade" to the 80s set it seems everyone has a boner for. Better looking gold, included black that wasn't forced, red mask, etc.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived