NHL Trade Deadline

Colorado Avalanche

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta say, I was trying to take a subtle jab at Sundin in my earlier post. After reading his reasons for staying, however, I gained some respect for the guy. Maybe his refusal to leave is a little selfish, but I agree with the general philosophy behind it.

Sundin is REALLY getting bashed at the moment by some members of 'Leafs Nation' for being selfish, which I think is absolutely crazy. This is the kind of player we need to see more of in sports. Among all the chaos and uncertainty that is surrounding the Toronto Maple Leafs theses days, one player, the one who wears the C on his jersey right over his heart, is acting like a rock for the franchise. Sticking by the team during one of its darkest times in almost two decades, he is proving what dedication and loyalty is. Very few athletes show this kind of quality, where the team they play for means more than the money they are putting into their wallet or the number of awards they get to have on their resume. While he may never gain immortality with his name on the Stanley Cup, he will remain so in the hearts of many Leafs fans, such as I. Refusing to jump ship just to have a chance to win something he could never do with this club, even though he has tried so many times. As much as I would have loved to have seen us bring in some good prospects and draft picks for him, I believe this example of staying with the sinking ship may prove to be an example that not all is bad over here in Leafs land, and could, as a result, help us once again attract players to our market. I don't believe Sundin is selfish for his decision, if anything, he is doing more for the Leafs than a few draft picks would have - showing the love for a team and a city, one which will immortalize him in ways the Stanley Cup would not have had he won it with another team.

You have won my respect Sundin, you may not be George Armstrong, Ted Kennedy or Hap Day, but you are the best of the non-Cup winning captains we have ever had!!

P.S. - I said in another thread he would not go, and I was right!! muahahaha.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Someone on the Thrashers board went as far as to say it was "disgusting" how "selfish" Sundin was.

Seriously? Of all the adjectives that could've been used...disgust? :huh:

My friend and I have been talking and he seems to think he saw all the proposals for where he can go and what we'd be getting and nothing as of now blew his socks off. He seems to think if a better offer comes along, he may accept a trade and either retire at the end of the season or return here. It seems like we'd get more if we were able to sign and trade him, but he doesn't want to be obligated to another team.

Rumors are funny things, and the deadline has not yet passed, so anything can still happen. I believe once Hossa moves that teams may make a bigger push for Sundin and he may, as a result, feel inclined to accept a potential deal.

Either way, I'd be happy to see him retire as a Leaf at the end of this season or return for one more... I do believe he still has a lot more left in that tank, and this rebuilding team will need a leader and he can, and should fill that role as no one else on this team could do a job as good as him.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

It is definitely a little selfish - remember, he is putting his own ideas and desire in front of the teams'. You can question whether he is just truly so dedicated to wearing the blue sweater that the thought of playing for another team breaks his heart, or if he just doesn't want to be arsed with the pains and rigors of adjusting to a new team in a new city. To me it seems like a combination of both, and even if it isn't the best thing for the team, I just respect his view on rental players and winning the cup in general. To me, it meant a little less when Ray Borque lifted the Cup with Colorado - sure, it's an incredible achievement and he deserves it, but wouldn't you want to win it for the city you've represented for so long?

That's another discussion for another thread. But you can't entirely fault Leafs fans - they have a right to be upset, although disgusted hardly seems appropriate.

It is definitely a little selfish - remember, he is putting his own ideas and desire in front of the teams'. You can question whether he is just truly so dedicated to wearing the blue sweater that the thought of playing for another team breaks his heart, or if he just doesn't want to be arsed with the pains and rigors of adjusting to a new team in a new city. To me it seems like a combination of both, and even if it isn't the best thing for the team, I just respect his view on rental players and winning the cup in general. To me, it meant a little less when Ray Borque lifted the Cup with Colorado - sure, it's an incredible achievement and he deserves it, but wouldn't you want to win it for the city you've represented for so long?

That's another discussion for another thread. But you can't entirely fault Leafs fans - they have a right to be upset, although disgusted hardly seems appropriate.

You do make a good point. We could use those draft picks and prospects... at the same time, we'd be losing our leader who could be there to help develop them. We have no one else who would be close to ready to wear the C... possibly Kaberle or Tucker, or hell, even McCabe because he has been fairly solid since his return from the wrist injury and has been a decent leader. Yes it could be part fear and having to be just a small cog in a big wheel, but I'm sure if he was truly selfish, he'd jump at the chance to play for a cup to achieve personal glory, while staying with a non-playoff bound team will result in self satisfaction and the admiration of many for his loyalty and decision of honoring his position and going down with the ship.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

It's not up to Sundin to rectify the mistakes management has made. Much in the same way, if my company tried to move me because another store was under-performing but it wasn't in my best interest, I'd certainly try to stay where I was. There is a line between being selfish and simply looking out for yourself.

I think the Leafs have done a great job of shifting the focus of the Leafs problem to Sundin this year, and you can really look at the iddue two different ways:

The big one is that Mats should allow himself to be traded in order to better the team. That at some point you have to say as the captain, I can best serve my team by leaving, and bringing in new, young talent.

The other:

He is the team leader, he is the heart of the team, he fills a role that no one else on the Leafs, or that the Leafs can obtain can do. He is one of the greatest players that the Leafs have ever had, even without winning the Cup. He's earned the right to star with the team.

and it is true, the Leafs put themselves in this mess. They signed an unproven Gm, who was allowed to give many players big deals with no movement clauses. They're looking at Mats to solve their problems, hoping that others will follow his lead. the team needs to tear things down and rebuild the team from the bottom up.

Incidentally, now that this is done, Sundin better re-sign with the Leafs or retire. If he goes to another team it'll be just like Vince Carter all over again

The Avalanche have Signed Peter Forseberg.

Tsn.ca

...and jsut a few days after he announced he wouldn't come back to the NHL unless his foot was 100%.

Yay for foot rubs!

So does that mean Sundin can also change his mind despite what he just said. There's still 24 hrs you know.

According to my roommate, Vaclav Prospal is back in Philly for Picard. Nothing's on NHL.com yet, but, uh, yeah, Vinny's back in Philly....apparently. Apparently it was on the Flyers' postgame show.

Yes it was announced on Versus and is up on TSN now.

Archived