Super Bowl Hosting Requirements

Slickster

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations mantleisthesuperbestestawesomeguyofalltimeandiliveinutahandwillremindyouofthatin

verygoddamnpost7. You just forced me to turn off sigs.

Anyway, it's too bad Qwest was built without a roof. I feel pretty confident that Seattle would be able to host a Super Bowl. I think some of the too-serious crowd around here might use the occasion to demonstrate whatever the cause of the day is, but the weather here is no worse than Detroit a couple years back, and we certainly have the necessary accommodations for visitors.

Would the NFL ever consider hosting a Super Bowl at Safeco? The seating would take a hit (I think Wrestlemania 19 did 58,000 or so), but I think the visuals would be awesome.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Maybe the league and the city of Los Angeles can get it's act together a do something about a team and new stadium. L.A would ben an automatic in the Super Bowl rotation with a new field. We are closing in on 15 years (WOW!) with out NFL football in L.A. I say the NFL will return to Los Angeles by 2015

Wacky future NFL stadium predictions:

-somehow or someway an NFL stadium is built in the Los Angeles Area (72,500 seats with lots of luxury suites)

-NFL finally gives up on New Orleans (which would be very sad in my book) and allows Tom Benson to sell the Saints to

a group that moves them to LA. Saints are reborn as the Los Angeles Gladiators. USC also uses this new stadium.

-A few years later the Raiders are sold by Al Davis' Family (after his death) to a group that moves them back to LA to

share the new stadium with the Gladiators & USC.

-Also the Buffalo Bills permanently move to Toronto after a 78,000 seat stadium is built to lure the Summer Olympics as

well. They are renamed the Toronto Bisons to keep the Buffalo heritage.

-In a happier note the Minnesota Vikings get a new 70,000-seat outdoor stadium in the Minneapolis suburbs & the 49ers

somehow get the new stadium built in Santa Clara.

While I would be very sad to see either the Buffalo Bills or New Orleans Saints relocate to Toronto & Los Angeles respectively, I must admit your team nicknames are sensational. The only other "rub" would be how to re-realign the NFC, since the Saints, a South team, would be in the West. I'd suspect the St. Louis Rams would be moved to another division, but then that might get all the Ram/49er rivalry fans upset. Then again, many long-standing 30 plus year rivalries ended in 2002 when the league realigned (Titans/former Oilers - Steelers for example, Colts/other 4 AFC East teams for another example).

I too would love to see the Vikings have an OUTDOOR stadium again! I remember growing up in the 70s watching their playoff games with the cold and snow and all. A team named VIKINGS belongs OUTDOORS!!!

Really splended stuff though, Gladiators & Bisons, very well thought out, put a smile on this middle-aged man's face today!

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for compliments :D

I've had those names on my mind for a while.

NFL in 2015

AFC

EAST - Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Toronto Bisons*

NORTH - Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers

SOUTH - Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans

WEST - Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Raiders**, San Diego Chargers

*-former Buffalo Bills

**-former Oakland Raiders

NFC

EAST - Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins

NORTH - Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings

SOUTH - Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, St. Louis Rams, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

WEST - Arizona Cardinals, Los Angeles Gladiators***, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks

***-former New Orleans Saints

Um, the Winter Olympics were held in Salt Lake City.

For someone obsessed with history, you forgot 2002.

There's no way a Super Bowl will be held outside in the cold weather in a stadium that's not home of an NFL team.

What are you talking about? I freaking know the olympics were held in SLC. I live just 40 mins away from it. did you think I was serious? THAT WAS A COMPLETE JOKE - I know the weather here and theres no way a super bowl would be held here.

Not trying to sound stern or ticky, it's just that i'm not stupid and I didnt forget 2002. Infact I'll never forget it.

Seriously? You can't be this dumb.

What are YOU talking about? you guys confusing the heck out of me. I ALREADY SAID IT WAS A JOKE!!!!! Unless SLC gets a team with a domed stadium (which is highly unlikely given that we Utahns love to watch snow covered football) I KNOW it's not going to happen. I'm not seriously this dumb.

Your initial post said summer Olympics *whistles*

Finally, someone tells me what the heck I did wrong. Thanks, rams80. Had it not been for you I wouldve kept looking stupid and more people like Bringbackthevet would just tell me I was dumb instead of telling me what I said wrong. You guys had to have known what I meant, right? I'm really not as stupid as some on here think.

As for those requirements, here's what I tell the NFL - grow up a bit and get a Super Bowl in northern cities for once. It would make my life and millions more If they held a Super Bowl in say, Lambeau Field. Boy, that would be awesome to watch. Oh, too cold? GROW UP. I live in Utah where the average barely gets to 14 degrees in winter and I walk around outside with a t-shirt and jeans. It don't bother me any. I'm sure other cities like Green Bay, New York, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, and maybe even Foxboro wouldnt mind a Super Bowl coming they're way. and I can't wait for the day the NFL stops ignoring us and actually gets a team here so we Utahns can actually be a part of something. I know y'all don't care about Utah much, but I sure do. Heck, Rice-Eccles Stadium is huge. IDK it's capicty, but I've been there for U of U games and it is monsterous. If not, lets get a dome built.

I mean, I am just soooooooooo tired of places like Florida having two Super Bowls in three years. Anyone other than Floridian citizens with me on that? Heck, I'd even be happy with a Denver Super Bowl. It's a day's drive from where I'm at. And I'd glady drive for a day to go to a Super Bowl. I say tweak up the requirements, play in the cold weather like real men, and represent the whole league and country with your Super Bowls, eh?

Slapshot did correct you. Your response to him (and me) proved my statement.

Furthermore, why would anyone want the hassle of dealing with a Super Bowl in their home town? I bet the majority of people who want to see these games in other cities probably don't live in a place where they have ever had to experience all of the negative impact that a major event can have on your daily life.

Maybe if you are a mid-level or relatively small city out to "prove" yourself or "make a name" (for lack of a better way of putting it) then you want to host ASGs, SBs, etc. However, like Jacksonville found out, if you aren't ready for prime time, you probably won't get a second chance. Indianapolis, St. Louis, etc - be careful what you wish for.

Personally, if / when my team makes it to the SB, I want to be in my home city to celebrate a potential victory. BUT, if I was to travel and make an event out of it, I (and nearly all people who actually would pay the ridiculous amount of money to actually attend the game) want to go to a "resort" area / vacation destination, like Miami, SD, maybe NO, Phoenix, LA, etc. Not Detroit, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Minneapolis, etc. Nothing against those cities - I'm sure they're all fine places, but they're not exactly on the top of many people's winter vacation list (of course neither is my home city.)

I see what your saying about the locations, and I know you mean nothing against them. It's just that, one of these days I would love to attend a super Bowl or get to go to an NFL game, period, but I can't because there's no where to go. And to drive a day to Denver especially where the Broncos arent my favorite team would be pointless unless it was a Super Bowl. see what I mean? And there are many like me everywhere, and big cities like Seattle, Denver, NY and Chicago never get the chance just because "It's a tad bit cold outside." Again, to the NFL, I say, GROW UP.

Hate to break it to you, but even if the SB was hosted in your very own back yard, the likelihood of you being able to buy a ticket is astronomically low. If you desire NFL action, you are simply going to have to move to an NFL market, or make the drive. Thems the breaks. There are things all of us can't do because it isn't local - and honestly, if you honestly think that the reason that those cities you mentioned aren't getting the SB is because "it's a tad bit cold outside", then it is you that needs to "GROW UP." I'm assuming you are around 15 or 16, so I'm not going to be too hard on you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Um, the Winter Olympics were held in Salt Lake City.

For someone obsessed with history, you forgot 2002.

There's no way a Super Bowl will be held outside in the cold weather in a stadium that's not home of an NFL team.

What are you talking about? I freaking know the olympics were held in SLC. I live just 40 mins away from it. did you think I was serious? THAT WAS A COMPLETE JOKE - I know the weather here and theres no way a super bowl would be held here.

Not trying to sound stern or ticky, it's just that i'm not stupid and I didnt forget 2002. Infact I'll never forget it.

Seriously? You can't be this dumb.

What are YOU talking about? you guys confusing the heck out of me. I ALREADY SAID IT WAS A JOKE!!!!! Unless SLC gets a team with a domed stadium (which is highly unlikely given that we Utahns love to watch snow covered football) I KNOW it's not going to happen. I'm not seriously this dumb.

Your initial post said summer Olympics *whistles*

Finally, someone tells me what the heck I did wrong. Thanks, rams80. Had it not been for you I wouldve kept looking stupid and more people like Bringbackthevet would just tell me I was dumb instead of telling me what I said wrong. You guys had to have known what I meant, right? I'm really not as stupid as some on here think.

As for those requirements, here's what I tell the NFL - grow up a bit and get a Super Bowl in northern cities for once. It would make my life and millions more If they held a Super Bowl in say, Lambeau Field. Boy, that would be awesome to watch. Oh, too cold? GROW UP. I live in Utah where the average barely gets to 14 degrees in winter and I walk around outside with a t-shirt and jeans. It don't bother me any. I'm sure other cities like Green Bay, New York, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, and maybe even Foxboro wouldnt mind a Super Bowl coming they're way. and I can't wait for the day the NFL stops ignoring us and actually gets a team here so we Utahns can actually be a part of something. I know y'all don't care about Utah much, but I sure do. Heck, Rice-Eccles Stadium is huge. IDK it's capicty, but I've been there for U of U games and it is monsterous. If not, lets get a dome built.

I mean, I am just soooooooooo tired of places like Florida having two Super Bowls in three years. Anyone other than Floridian citizens with me on that? Heck, I'd even be happy with a Denver Super Bowl. It's a day's drive from where I'm at. And I'd glady drive for a day to go to a Super Bowl. I say tweak up the requirements, play in the cold weather like real men, and represent the whole league and country with your Super Bowls, eh?

Slapshot did correct you. Your response to him (and me) proved my statement.

Furthermore, why would anyone want the hassle of dealing with a Super Bowl in their home town? I bet the majority of people who want to see these games in other cities probably don't live in a place where they have ever had to experience all of the negative impact that a major event can have on your daily life.

Maybe if you are a mid-level or relatively small city out to "prove" yourself or "make a name" (for lack of a better way of putting it) then you want to host ASGs, SBs, etc. However, like Jacksonville found out, if you aren't ready for prime time, you probably won't get a second chance. Indianapolis, St. Louis, etc - be careful what you wish for.

Personally, if / when my team makes it to the SB, I want to be in my home city to celebrate a potential victory. BUT, if I was to travel and make an event out of it, I (and nearly all people who actually would pay the ridiculous amount of money to actually attend the game) want to go to a "resort" area / vacation destination, like Miami, SD, maybe NO, Phoenix, LA, etc. Not Detroit, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Minneapolis, etc. Nothing against those cities - I'm sure they're all fine places, but they're not exactly on the top of many people's winter vacation list (of course neither is my home city.)

I see what your saying about the locations, and I know you mean nothing against them. It's just that, one of these days I would love to attend a super Bowl or get to go to an NFL game, period, but I can't because there's no where to go. And to drive a day to Denver especially where the Broncos arent my favorite team would be pointless unless it was a Super Bowl. see what I mean? And there are many like me everywhere, and big cities like Seattle, Denver, NY and Chicago never get the chance just because "It's a tad bit cold outside." Again, to the NFL, I say, GROW UP.

Hate to break it to you, but even if the SB was hosted in your very own back yard, the likelihood of you being able to buy a ticket is astronomically low. If you desire NFL action, you are simply going to have to move to an NFL market, or make the drive. Thems the breaks. There are things all of us can't do because it isn't local - and honestly, if you honestly think that the reason that those cities you mentioned aren't getting the SB is because "it's a tad bit cold outside", then it is you that needs to "GROW UP." I'm assuming you are around 15 or 16, so I'm not going to be too hard on you.

Nailed it! Haha Yeah I see your point, its getting more clear now. I just would love to go to a super bowl. I love Utah so much that I have no intention of leaving when I grow up, so I cant really move to an NFL market unless of course the market comes to us. Maybe I'll make enough money when I grow up to take a vacation to Miami one of these days :)

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Will the new Jets-Giants stadium have a dome? You'd think New York would meet every other requirement, and then some!

No it will not. Here are the plans:

http://www.nynjfootball.com/jets/

Dome or no dome, I've always thought that there should be some kind of contingency plan in place to shift the Super Bowl to the Meadowlands if the matchup turns out to be Giants vs. Jets. Why should both those teams, fans, etc. have to schlep themselves clear across the country to play in the Super Bowl when their own shared stadium is a natural neutral site?

CCSLC signature.png

Will the new Jets-Giants stadium have a dome? You'd think New York would meet every other requirement, and then some!

Dome or no dome, I've always thought that there should be some kind of contingency plan in place to shift the Super Bowl to the Meadowlands if the matchup turns out to be Giants vs. Jets. Why should both those teams, fans, etc. have to schlep themselves clear across the country to play in the Super Bowl when their own shared stadium is a natural neutral site?

Because hotels, entertainment bookings, and other businesses plan for this event months if not a year (or even more) in advance. It would cost many millions to change the location of the SB less than (just estimating here) six months in advance.

Business issues aside, I like your idea, but it is simply not practical. Plus, "schlep"ping across the country is just part of what makes it an "event", as opposed to just another (really big) game.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Congratulations mantleisthesuperbestestawesomeguyofalltimeandiliveinutahandwillremindyouofthatin

verygoddamnpost7. You just forced me to turn off sigs.

Anyway, it's too bad Qwest was built without a roof. I feel pretty confident that Seattle would be able to host a Super Bowl. I think some of the too-serious crowd around here might use the occasion to demonstrate whatever the cause of the day is, but the weather here is no worse than Detroit a couple years back, and we certainly have the necessary accommodations for visitors.

Would the NFL ever consider hosting a Super Bowl at Safeco? The seating would take a hit (I think Wrestlemania 19 did 58,000 or so), but I think the visuals would be awesome.

????????????????

As for your Seattle points, I'm all with ya. I'd love to see a Super Bowl in Seattle.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Because hotels, entertainment bookings, and other businesses plan for this event months if not a year (or even more) in advance. It would cost many millions to change the location of the SB less than (just estimating here) six months in advance.

Business issues aside, I like your idea, but it is simply not practical. Plus, "schlep"ping across the country is just part of what makes it an "event", as opposed to just another (really big) game.

It could've very well happened in January of 1987 if Mark F'ing Gastineau didn't feel like running into Bernie Kosar 142 seconds after he let go of a pass...

...and if the Jets don't blow that divisional game, Elway doesn't engineer "The Drive".

(Well, at least as we know it today :P ). Then its Jets-Broncos for the AFC title...

What really stings is the Jets started 10-1 and had to sneak in at 10-6 to make the playoffs...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

New Orleans can be removed from the list as well, as the city is likely nowhere near ready to host a Super Bowl-size event.

Mac, don't know where you're getting your info from, but New Orleans is more than ready to hold such an event. I think there was just this little thing we had last month called "The BCS National Championship Game" and a little thing next weekend called "The NBA All-Star Game". Not to mention the regular Sugar Bowl (last two years) and Mardi Gras, which makes those other events look like walks in the park in terms of # of hotel visitors, logistics, facilities, and police/crowd control.

The biggest issue with New Orleans and the Super Bowl right now, however, is uncertainty in terms of the Saints lease. Their lease only ties them to the area until 2010; until a new agreement is reached certifying that that Saints will be here past then, the NFL won't commit (and no Super Bowls unless you have a host city).

A new lease agreement (possibly tying into a major Superdome upgrade a la Lambeau or Soldier Field, or a brand-new stadium) are on the agenda of the state's new Governor, and should be reached in the next year or so.

It is what it is.

New Orleans can be removed from the list as well, as the city is likely nowhere near ready to host a Super Bowl-size event.

Mac, don't know where you're getting your info from, but New Orleans is more than ready to hold such an event. I think there was just this little thing we had last month called "The BCS National Championship Game" and a little thing next weekend called "The NBA All-Star Game". Not to mention the regular Sugar Bowl (last two years) and Mardi Gras, which makes those other events look like walks in the park in terms of # of hotel visitors, logistics, facilities, and police/crowd control.

The biggest issue with New Orleans and the Super Bowl right now, however, is uncertainty in terms of the Saints lease. Their lease only ties them to the area until 2010; until a new agreement is reached certifying that that Saints will be here past then, the NFL won't commit (and no Super Bowls unless you have a host city).

A new lease agreement (possibly tying into a major Superdome upgrade a la Lambeau or Soldier Field, or a brand-new stadium) are on the agenda of the state's new Governor, and should be reached in the next year or so.

I'm not saying New Orleans isn't technically capable of holding it, but with things the way they are around the area odds are the NFL wouldn't consider it anytime soon.

nav-logo.png

Why do you keep comparing the Super Bowl and Wrestlemania?

They've played bowl games at Safeco. You know why they sucked? Both benches were on the same damn sideline. The NFL does not want their showcase game taking place on a baseball-only field.

For what it's worth, I believe the stands at Qwest are roofed over, so the celebrities wouldn't get wet.

Not that the roof will do anything about the cold.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because it's apt. They're both large spectacles, they both play in front of larger worldwide audiences than usual events, and they're both the culmination of their respective seasons. Furthermore, they both take an entire weekend, are a boon to whatever city in which they're hosted, and, at a base level, their titles are followed by numbers.

Just because you think it's stupid doesn't mean it's not a legitimate money-making venture, or that it doesn't require just as much long-term planning. Wrestlemania 23 in Detroit drew a larger amount of fans than the Super Bowl the year previous (mostly due to field configuration, but still). Wrestlemania 24 in Orlando is expected to draw over 60,000 fans from all over the world. It's really not unlike the Super Bowl at all.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Because it's apt. They're both large spectacles, they both play in front of larger worldwide audiences than usual events, and they're both the culmination of their respective seasons. Furthermore, they both take an entire weekend, are a boon to whatever city in which they're hosted, and, at a base level, their titles are followed by numbers.

Just because you think it's stupid doesn't mean it's not a legitimate money-making venture, or that it doesn't require just as much long-term planning. Wrestlemania 23 in Detroit drew a larger amount of fans than the Super Bowl the year previous (mostly due to field configuration, but still). Wrestlemania 24 in Orlando is expected to draw over 60,000 fans from all over the world. It's really not unlike the Super Bowl at all.

If it were say, before 2001, I'd agree with you, but Wrestlemania and WWE sucks now.

For the record: Rice-Eccles holds 45,017

And while I'd love to see all those celebs freezing their asses off at Lambeau, let's take a real look at it:

What a Super Bowl needs

?A stadium that can hold 70,000 and is enclosed if the average temperature is below 50 degrees.

?At least 27,000 hotel rooms within an hour's drive.

?Practice facilities for both teams, neither of which can be the stadium.

?A media center for 3,400 journalists and space for the NFL Experience theme park, which is 900,000 square feet.

New requirements this year:

?A transportation operations center with room for 250 staff members and a bus yard to accommodate 300 vehicles within 15 miles of the stadium and available from Jan. 1 through two days after the game.

?At least 3,000 seats reserved for photographers, production workers and others. Previously, the league had asked for 1,800.

?A site for the event Super Bowl Saturday Night, based on an expected attendance of 50,000 people, held at a marquee location in the "Super Bowl area."

?Space to accommodate 11,000 instead of 8,000 guests for the NFL On-Location Hospitality event on game day. Minimum size: 247,500 square feet.

Even if you allow for the lack of a dome at Lambeau - and it can fit 70K - the other areas would kill the idea. About the only chance you'd have is if the NFL stretched the requirements to include Milwaukee. Such as:

1. Hotel rooms - Green Bay has, at most, 5-6,000. There are maybe 10,000 within an hour.

2. Practice facilities - Teams would either have to share the Don Hutson Center barn or one would have to practice in Milwaukee (Miller Park) or Madison (UW's McClain Center).

3. They could use the arena complex across the street - but I don't know what the total square footage is and it might not be enough (there is a small, 5,000-seat hockey arena, a fair-sized exhibition hall and the Resch Center arena, along with a good-sized convention center downtown.)

4. This is do-able - there are large areas near Lambeau that could be used.

5. There is noplace for the SB Sat Nite that could hold that many people other than Lambeau.

6. Again, the Resch Center-Shopko Hall-BC Arena complex could work for this.

But seriously, I don't ever see it happening, unless the NFL suddenly turns unpopular.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived