Super Bowl Hosting Requirements

Slickster

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/business/story.asp?ID=229899

What a Super Bowl needs

The NFL is taking bids from cities interested in hosting Super Bowl XLVI in 2012, and it has a list of things it requires a city to provide:

?A stadium that can hold 70,000 and is enclosed if the average temperature is below 50 degrees.

?At least 27,000 hotel rooms within an hour's drive.

?Practice facilities for both teams, neither of which can be the stadium.

?A media center for 3,400 journalists and space for the NFL Experience theme park, which is 900,000 square feet.

New requirements this year:

?A transportation operations center with room for 250 staff members and a bus yard to accommodate 300 vehicles within 15 miles of the stadium and available from Jan. 1 through two days after the game.

?At least 3,000 seats reserved for photographers, production workers and others. Previously, the league had asked for 1,800.

?A site for the event Super Bowl Saturday Night, based on an expected attendance of 50,000 people, held at a marquee location in the "Super Bowl area."

?Space to accommodate 11,000 instead of 8,000 guests for the NFL On-Location Hospitality event on game day. Minimum size: 247,500 square feet.

Among cities bidding or expected to bid: Indianapolis, Houston and Glendale, Ariz., where Super Bowl XLII will be held Sunday.

oakqb4.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from someone who works for the city of Glendale and is Ed Beasly's right hand man. They're saying if Glendale is successful in the game tomorrow they will be favorites to win XLVI for 2012.

Dang it that counts Salt Lake City out :P

But seriously, I'm tired of seeing the same cities over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Hows about a super back to Minnesota? Find some more domes stadiums to play in that are in other cities that Tampa and New Orleans and Miami. I hate hearing the bids for the new Super Bowls and seeing New Orleans. Miami, Tampa, then three years later see the same ones. I know thats not what really happens, but it sure seems like it. I'm all for a Minnesota super bowl in the Metrodome! I'm even more game for an Indianapolis Super Bowl in the RCA Dome!

Actually......Have it in Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake, where the summer olympics were held (the ceremonies)! Then us rocky mountainers can actually be a part of something!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Um, the Winter Olympics were held in Salt Lake City.

For someone obsessed with history, you forgot 2002.

There's no way a Super Bowl will be held outside in the cold weather in a stadium that's not home of an NFL team.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

There's no way a Super Bowl will be held outside in the cold weather in a stadium that's not home of an NFL team.

What are you talking about? I freaking know the olympics were held in SLC. I live just 40 mins away from it. did you think I was serious? THAT WAS A COMPLETE JOKE - I know the weather here and theres no way a super bowl would be held here.

Not trying to sound stern or ticky, it's just that i'm not stupid and I didnt forget 2002. Infact I'll never forget it.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

What are you talking about? I freaking know the olympics were held in SLC. I live just 40 mins away from it. did you think I was serious? THAT WAS A COMPLETE JOKE - I know the weather here and theres no way a super bowl would be held here.

Not trying to sound stern or ticky, it's just that i'm not stupid and I didnt forget 2002. Infact I'll never forget it.

Seriously? You can't be this dumb.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

But seriously, I'm tired of seeing the same cities over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Hows about a super back to Minnesota? Find some more domes stadiums to play in that are in other cities that Tampa and New Orleans and Miami. I hate hearing the bids for the new Super Bowls and seeing New Orleans. Miami, Tampa, then three years later see the same ones. I know thats not what really happens, but it sure seems like it. I'm all for a Minnesota super bowl in the Metrodome! I'm even more game for an Indianapolis Super Bowl in the RCA Dome!

Actually......Have it in Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake, where the summer olympics were held (the ceremonies)! Then us rocky mountainers can actually be a part of something!

The actual number of cities who currently qualify to host a Super Bowl:

-San Diego

-Arizona

-Dallas (Super Bowl XLV in 2011)

-Houston

-New Orleans

-Atlanta

-Tampa (Super Bowl XLIII next year)

-Miami (Super Bowl XLIV in 2010)

-Jacksonville (though not likely to host again)

-Detroit

-Indianapolis (with the opening of Lucas Oil Stadium next season)

So there you have eleven sites that could possibly host a Super Bowl. The only one I'm not sure of is Jacksonville because of the 27,000 required hotel rooms. Plus, you can add San Francisco/Santa Clara as a possibility if the 49ers can get a stadium built in either of those cities.

Minnesota won't host another Super Bowl unless they build a new roofed stadium. The Metrodome only holds 63,000 people which is 7,000 short of the minimum requirement. The dome isn't exactly the most charming stadium either.

-San Diego

-Arizona

-Houston

-New Orleans

-Atlanta

-Detroit

So there you have eleven sites that could possibly host a Super Bowl. The only one I'm not sure of is Jacksonville because of the 27,000 required hotel rooms. Plus, you can add San Francisco/Santa Clara as a possibility if the 49ers can get a stadium built in either of those cities.

Minnesota won't host another Super Bowl unless they build a new roofed stadium. The Metrodome only holds 63,000 people which is 7,000 short of the minimum requirement. The dome isn't exactly the most charming stadium either.

well that eliminates all of the teams north of the mason dixon line that have out side stadiums. I kinda would like to see a super bowl in my lifetime instead of bush country hogging the game every year. :mad:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

What are YOU talking about? you guys confusing the heck out of me. I ALREADY SAID IT WAS A JOKE!!!!! Unless SLC gets a team with a domed stadium (which is highly unlikely given that we Utahns love to watch snow covered football) I KNOW it's not going to happen. I'm not seriously this dumb.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

What are YOU talking about? you guys confusing the heck out of me. I ALREADY SAID IT WAS A JOKE!!!!! Unless SLC gets a team with a domed stadium (which is highly unlikely given that we Utahns love to watch snow covered football) I KNOW it's not going to happen. I'm not seriously this dumb.

Your initial post said summer Olympics *whistles*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

-San Diego

-Arizona

-Houston

-New Orleans

-Atlanta

-Detroit

You can also remove SD from that list - the NFL's powers that be have said that unless the stadium there undergoes some significant renovations, they won't host it again.

New Orleans can be removed from the list as well, as the city is likely nowhere near ready to host a Super Bowl-size event. The NFL hasn't had an affinity for Atlanta since XXXIV, when the temperature dropped into the 40's in January for the first time in about a half-century (and they're fearful that it'll happen again). Jacksonville's stint for XXXIX brought little but complaints. So realistically, we're basically back to where we were with SB's 30 years ago, only with different venues, rotating among around seven different sites:

- Glendale, Arizona

- Irving and Houston, Texas

- Miami and Tampa, Florida

- Detroit, Michigan

- Indianapolis, Indiana

nav-logo.png

- Glendale, Arizona

- Detroit, Michigan

- Indianapolis, Indiana

I'd be shocked if there were 27,000 hotel rooms available in Indianapolis. Maybe the NFL is going to count South Bend and Fort Wayne as part of its metro area.

- Glendale, Arizona

- Detroit, Michigan

- Indianapolis, Indiana

I'd be shocked if there were 27,000 hotel rooms available in Indianapolis. Maybe the NFL is going to count South Bend and Fort Wayne as part of its metro area.

IIRC Indianapolis has been building a couple of big hotels lately. Also they were a Convention hub in the past, so they probably have a decent amount of existing hotel space.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, it's hotels within an hour's drive, so that opens it up for Indy somewhat.

I'd expect Indianapolis to get the 2012 or 2013 game since they came so close in the 2011 bidding.

Surprised that Atlanta's temperature is a big issue since it's a domed stadium and there are plenty of facilities for conventions, etc. I mean, the city hosted an Olympics. You'd think they could handle a Super Bowl.

I'd expect the Pro Bowl to be moved to the proposed 'week before the Super Bowl in the SB host city' format after the 2009 season, when the deal with Hawaii runs out.

oakqb4.jpg

-San Diego

-Arizona

-Houston

-New Orleans

-Atlanta

-Detroit

You can also remove SD from that list - the NFL's powers that be have said that unless the stadium there undergoes some significant renovations, they won't host it again.

New Orleans can be removed from the list as well, as the city is likely nowhere near ready to host a Super Bowl-size event. The NFL hasn't had an affinity for Atlanta since XXXIV, when the temperature dropped into the 40's in January for the first time in about a half-century (and they're fearful that it'll happen again). Jacksonville's stint for XXXIX brought little but complaints. So realistically, we're basically back to where we were with SB's 30 years ago, only with different venues, rotating among around seven different sites:

- Glendale, Arizona

- Detroit, Michigan

- Indianapolis, Indiana

I know it's outdoors, but could Charlotte, NC be considered? Their stadium is large enough, but I am not sure about the hotel/convention space.

*According to Wikipedia, Charlotte's avg. temp is about 55 degrees for Super Bowl time of year.

I posted this in another thread, and know it has zero chance of happening, but if I think a site in Las Vegas would be a very good idea. There is clearly hotel capacity, people like going there, and the temperature is nice enough. I'm assuming there isn't a stadium large enough already built, but Las Vegas is such a potential draw for other events (soccer exhibitions, Wrestlemania, bowl games, etc) that a 70,000+ stadium would certainly get some use. And anyway, isn't Las Vegas one of the few cities (along with Phoenix) that is still seeing strong economic growth?

Again, I know that it's a non-starter until there's an NFL team there (and given the NFL's weird stance on gambling, that's not likely to happen either), but I think it's an idea with merit.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

-San Diego

-Arizona

-Houston

-New Orleans

-Atlanta

-Detroit

Detroit does not meet the stadium requirements(Ford Field holds 65,000) or the hotel room requirements, the NFL waived them for Super Bowl XL because they promised the city and state a Super Bowl if they came up with funding for Ford Field.

Archived