My hockey fanhood is for sale...

TFoA

Well, I've decided to make a conscious effort to become a fan of hockey.

Problem is, I don't really know what team to support. I mean, I like the Thrashers and all, but I guess I've never had a single moment in my life in this city where I figured "that's my hockey team." So yeah, that's why I'm automatically not jumping with the Thrashers.

So yeah, I figure that this will be the best place to ask about teams to root for, since this place is filled with nothing but puckheads. :P

I do have a few teams that I'm leaning towards...

Thrashers (obvious reasons)

Wild (Located in a hockey hotbed, great fans, a burgeoning tradition)

Flames (because of connection to Atlanta)

Senators (solely because of Emery beating up on the Sabres last year. :P)

And there are a couple of teams I can never see myself cheering for...

Red Wings (Idk why, I just can't cheer for that team, ever.)

Canadiens (Too many championships, if that makes sense.)

Any team that Sean Avery is on (Because Sean Avery sucks.)

So yeah, I know who I might pick...but I'm open to suggestions! :D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thrashers. Do it. Keep the hometown team.

Normally that would be the easy choice, since they're the only team in town, and the only team that TV shows...but howevuh, in this day and age of the broadband internets, and a little bit of google searching and p2p-ing, I could easily watch and follow any team in the NHL, MLB, or NBA (the NFL's kinda harder because they actually enforce blackout rules [which is why I missed the Falcons-49ers game this year...that and I had to write a 10 page paper that was due the next day but that's a different story for a different thread.]). So yeah, if I follow the Thrashers, it won't be simply because they're the hometown club.

Minnie would be a good choice if you lean traditionally. The fans are polite and passionate about the game, and the team performs well. THey have alot of new, young talent.

Lately the Flames are touch and go, they have good nights and bad. Don't cheer for Ottawa. People lose respect for you that way.

Detroit is one of those oddities. Some treat them like the Yankees of hockey, but at the same time they aren't. They aren't hated, but if you're not a fan, they're just kinda meh.

As a Habs fan, I can understand about the 24 Cups deal. Again, like the Yankees, they've done it all, they have history, they've been extremely good, they are a safe choice. Also, since their last Cup in 93, they've been underdogs, and it's always fun to cheer the underdogs (and they are damn good this year...another Cup to keep up the streak!)

The Thrashers are a good team, they have talent, they have Kovalchuk, who is a rare breed and fun to watch. Like any team, they have their share of crappy luck, and with doubts about Hossa staying it could be getting dicey again. It could be worse I suppose. Start at home and figure out what kind of hockey you like. Each team has it's own style of play that transcends the individuals who run and play for the team.

Why not the Blackhawks? You already can't cheer for the Red Wings, so that's a big plus. They're a team on the rise with a great set of young players. Plus we've got some of the best jerseys in the league along with a great logo.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'd say learn to like the Thrashers. If you stick with your home team thru thick and thin, you will be rewarded. I've been a diehard Lightning fan since the days before Lecavalier was drafted and years later I was cheering for a successful Stanley Cup champion. Yeah, right now they suck, but I cant give up.

Ok so I'll pull a plug for my favorite team.

Why to cheer for the New Jersey Devils

1) Martin Brodeur - he's on pace to break the all-time wins record next year. The Devils will always remain competitive when he's on their team.

2) Homegrown Talent - Zach Parise, Martin Brodeur, Patrick Elias, John Madden, Jay Pandolfo, Colin White, Brian Gionta, David Clarkson, Andy Greene, Paul Martin, Travis Zajac, and more

3) No player that is above the team - Lou wouldn't tolerate it

4) In a great division with a good rivalry with the New York Rangers (Sean Avery)

5) Always in contention - They constantly make the playoff and the Devils and Flyers have won the division every year since 1994.

6) Great new arena - although you might not care about that

7) Great play by play man - Doc Emmerick - although that probably doesn't matter to you

8) Second to Detroit in least amount of goals scored against

9) Nice uniforms ;)

10) Martin Brodeur

EDIT - I just saw what Tank said. I completely agree

I'd love to push one of my favorite teams, but I'd say stay local with fanhood.

You have a great chance to go see games when they are in Atlanta as opposed to Minnesota.

Your team has a highly talented goalie, Lehtonen, and one of the best players in the league in Ilya Kovalchuk.

It's a good team to root for and a young team, new to the area and I've heard the fans are very passionate about their team.

So go for the hometeam. You won't regret it.

anti.png

In keeping with geographic convenience, I suggest the Panthers. Not only is there a vague Eldridge Cleaver reference waiting to happen, but they need all the fan support they can get.

Plus, if they DO pull up stakes and move to Winnipeg, you can be "the black fan."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I would say cheer for the Leafs, but why?

Go with the Thrashers.

Yeah...cheer for a team that let Florida :blink: score 8 goals on them. :rolleyes:

Stay with the Thrashers.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yah as much I would like people to like the Sens, I would say no, because it's a pain in the ass the way people disrespect you :P Like Zero said.

...and right now things just aren't going all that well, but hey I guess it's better than being embarrassed by Florida. :P

BUT once we're on a roll, we are an extremely fun team to watch.

Hi, how are you?

If you want to follow an up and coming team, go for Columbus, Chicago or Phoenix. You would be a little more unique that way to cheer for teams which don't have the biggest fan bases. I'd even follow Carolina (who is looking just as good as ever!) or Washington (but since they are in the same division as Atlanta... it may not be a good idea). You can watch these teams rise to the top and not just come in while they are already established Stanley Cup threats.

I'd throw the Leafs in there... but it will be a few more years before we even reach the playoffs....

And don't forget, this crappy Leafs team raped Ottawa saturday night. I'd take them over the no-depth team anyday! Took no penalties... lowered Emery's trade value even more... good times.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

And don't forget, this crappy Leafs team raped Ottawa saturday night. I'd take them over the no-depth team anyday! Took no penalties... lowered Emery's trade value even more... good times.

Meh... You win some, you lose some.

You should know that Neon. but I'm glad your enjoying it, you can only live in the past for so long.

Hi, how are you?

Archived