United in throwback kits today

Cooleyvol

They have the look of an older kit, but not nearly as vintage in appearance as United's. Its more of a stripped down present kit.

Names on the back. EPL number font is still there as well.

United's use the old font and have no names on the back nor any EPL/Nike/AIG references at all.

201222154_0f633bbfdb_o.png

OTG.jpg

CityCeleb500.jpg

CityCelebG.jpg

Check out the adboards, it has the names of the players from the Munich disaster.

Not sure, but did they strip down all advertising from Old Trafford?

I don't think they "stripped down" all advertising. The adboards on the sideline are electronic, so that's an easy adjustment. (and actually the ads are shown during the game anyways) I don't much what kind of advertising they have on the facade between seating levels, but they probably just covered it up. Plus, they would be no way to strip the nike logo formation from the seats (seen when the stadium is empty)

I saw, I came, I left.

It's been a massive deal here this last week. The Manchester Evening News gave out a copy of the front and back pages of the paper from the day after the crash, and there was a fear that City fans would mess up the minutes silence, which I'm glad to say, they didn't. Watching the game I thought it was a pity City didn't revert to a 1950's kit too, but hats off to the removal of sponsorship.

On a side note, with the use of retro kits and plans to go overseas in 2011, it looks like the Premiership is finally going to exploit its global brand potential as the NFL has already done in the US. There has been a massive backlash aginst the foreign '39th' game here - i know its not the right place, but what do the americans on the board think of nfl games being played in europe etc?

It's been a massive deal here this last week. The Manchester Evening News gave out a copy of the front and back pages of the paper from the day after the crash, and there was a fear that City fans would mess up the minutes silence, which I'm glad to say, they didn't. Watching the game I thought it was a pity City didn't revert to a 1950's kit too, but hats off to the removal of sponsorship.

On a side note, with the use of retro kits and plans to go overseas in 2011, it looks like the Premiership is finally going to exploit its global brand potential as the NFL has already done in the US. There has been a massive backlash aginst the foreign '39th' game here - i know its not the right place, but what do the americans on the board think of nfl games being played in europe etc?

It's gimmicky and a tool of greed. I think it bastardizes leagues schedules and the balance of home and away fixtures throwing in a "neutral". I had season tickets for the New Orleans Saints for 14 years and would be pissed at losing a home game like the team is , playing in Wembley this October. I also support Manchester United went to Old Trafford in 2000 and I dont think stands filled with corporate types at a neutral site sitting on their hands with ridiculously priced tickets will do an EPL match justice.

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Looks as though Manchester United is in a throwback kit in the Manchester derby today in remembrance of the Munich disaster.

Can't tell about City yet.

Oh by the way, the Citizens kicked the Red Devils @$$e$, too. First time in Old Trafford in a generation. First time a season sweep in longer than that.

Go Blues, Go Citizens, Go City!

Yup, as a transplanted Mancunian and a die-hard blue, it was the perfect game. Plus I now have bragging rights over my dad, a United fan, for the rest of the year. I just wish I could have made it to the game...

As a non-season ticket holder, it doesn't bother me one bit whether an NFL game is played overseas. But I can certainly understand the argument of a season ticket holder that they essentially lose a game to go to.

That said...I would pay a premium to see Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Fulham or any other EPL match here in the States. Regular season match or not. I'll take a friendly anyday. :D

Thank god the match is over. Been banging on about it all week, think city came out of it magnificently and as usual Utd came out with excuses about tiredness from friendlies but neglected to mention the £2 million + they got to play a friendly in Dubai the other week.

As for the kits i thought the Utd ones looked decent, citys looked weird without the sponsor but with modern numbers

logo.png

Archived